polycarbonate glazing for outdoors?

AngryDuck

This past lock down has seen me jump ship to a family members house. I should have been close to another harvest now :( 

I've had to put indoors on hold for now but have been allowed to place a few plants in the garden of where I'm currently staying. I've never grown outside. 

Taking my indoor tent size of 1x1 x2 this was more then big enough for 4 good sized plants.

I want to build a small lean to / greenhouse to help protect the plants using polycarbonate glazing. It seems cheep enough and with some 2x3 it should be heavy enough to withstand any bad weather, unlike the cheap plastic and pole type you can get for £30-50.

The area I have is fantastic, south facing and gets the sun from first light all through the day till maybe an hour before dark before it dips behind a tree and its a nice sheltered area from any strong winds.

I plan for a slight sloping roof to stop any rain from getting to the plants. Having air gaps top and bottom of each side panel to stop any humidity / heat build up and allow enough air exchange. And using celotex and a plastic liner as a base to sit the plants on just to protect from rising cold/damp overnight. I have full access so watering etc is not an issue. I also wanted to use this as a screen to hide the plants rather then leaving them out in the open.

Is polycarbonate glazing okay for are use? does it block any usable light for cannabis? or would i be better going with a polly sheet type material << this would be the cheapest option and allow me to adjust things if needed easily enough or maybe there is something else worth using? glass will be to much and its not very user friendly.  

I have one AUTO amnesia haze in the cupboard ready to go outside in the next few days. its maybe just a little early and the reason why I've only popped one. I will then pop a few more seeds spaced out over the next 6 weeks to hopefully cover the full summer season making sure to have the last plant finish early September time. 

2 weeks old on Monday. Will be transplanted Monday to a 10/15ltr pot give 48 hours before being placed outside to get on with it. 

Any advice welcome.

large.20210418_002122_compress58.jpg

Edited by AngryDuck

11 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

It blocks nearly all uv. 99%+

Any alternative's to look at. I think some type of polly sheeting maybe the route to go but unsure what type, grade would be best.

Been looking into it and there are quite a few growers out there using polycarbonate without issue. But would rather something suitable that's not potentially blocking good light.  

On 18/04/2021 at 1:17 PM, AngryDuck said:

Any alternative's to look at. I think some type of polly sheeting maybe the route to go but unsure what type, grade would be best.

Been looking into it and there are quite a few growers out there using polycarbonate without issue. But would rather something suitable that's not potentially blocking good light.  

It will still grow fine under polycarbonate. Most materals block something. Use that. I just answered your question as to whether it blocks light, which it does some but it's not a critical loss. If you were testing the effects of uv on growth then using it would be pointless unless that was the control part of an experiment.

Edited by catweazle1