root rot / pythium

donut

having a nightmare last 3 grows, 1st time both plants just stopped growing, roots had turned slightly brown, i used a load of h2o2 and finished the crop  bud was ok but lower than usual yield, steralised everything, next crop same problem again only worse.

Thought it might be pythium so i ripped the system out, replaced everything both buckets,pipes net pots etc, same problem again only this time when i flipped them to 12's one of my plants just died, the others leaves went yellow, roots have turned brown and looks like its about to die as well.

im growing in a bubbler which ive used about 10 times and always had a nice crop out of, not changed anything at all, water temps ph ec all normal

is this pythium im dealing with or could it be something else, i read about some bacteria that needs chlorine, any ideas on this, can use chlorine in my system or its just for steralising inbetween crops?

large.IMG_6859.jpg

Edited by donut
  • Like 1

I'm afraid I can't help, no hydro experience, but will be going there soon so watching this intently.  I'll tag a few knowledgeable folk if you don't get answers soon. 

Good luck! 

ooh dear, it looks a bit grim doesnt it?

i would bin them off, because i cant see them coming back from this. well they could , but it ould take an age. if you lightly tug the root does it come away? and does it smell? it looks like rot to me. 

i would bin it, bleach everything, including the hydroton, netpots, buckets airlines, etc etc, and replace the airstones, which act like a sponge for pathogens, and start over.

when you start over try and keep the temps in the bucket below 21 degrees.  use some reflective film over the top of the pot or insulate the bucket to prevent the heat getting into it. 

Looks like cyanobacteria mate, it's one of the reasons I ditched rdwc as h2o2 won't touch it. I even tried a bio filter which worked best but still didn't remove it all. Only option would be pool shock or even better get some hypochlorous acid and it will clear straight up.

It's seems to be becoming more prevalent nowadays. 

the roots not coming away at all just brown and theres no smell, ive been using pythoff along with the oxy but just not getting anywhere

if its cyanobacteria does that mean ditch this plant or can i just stick some chlorine in the system?

so depressing

• Like 1

Cleaning won't get rid of all the spores either as I found out after 3 runs, I even changed the whole system for new except my chiller and it still came back. 

I'm not sure on pool shock dosage you will have to have a read up on google but I've got a mate who runs the hypochlorous acid with my old chiller and he hasn't had a problem since. 

Plus as a bonus you only need 0.5ml for every litre of nutrient solution once a week. 

Get the above mate and she should pull back round if you don't want to lose her :yep:.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the above is also in regen a root at a lower dose as they smell similar. But I was using regen a root and it done fuck all against it.  

Just now, ukbudz said:

Cleaning won't get rid of all the spores either as I found out after 3 runs, I even changed the whole system for new except my chiller and it still came back. 

I'm not sure on pool shock dosage you will have to have a read up on google but I've got a mate who runs the hypochlorous acid with my old chiller and he hasn't had a problem since. 

Plus as a bonus you only need 0.5ml for every litre of nutrient solution once a week. 

i just put hypochlorous acid in my system with the plant still in there?

i just get it from the grow shop?

1 hydroponics online is where my mate gets it. Give the roots a rinse in the shower if ya have one to get most the gunk and biofilm off then put them in the system at the dosage I said above. 

Keep an eye on them, and I would probably renew the solution every 24-48 hours till she's clean. 

There's also instructions on the bottle aswell :yep:

1 minute ago, ukbudz said:

Get the above mate and she should pull back round if you don't want to lose her :yep:.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the above is also in regen a root at a lower dose as they smell similar. But I was using regen a root and it done fuck all against it.  

any idea where i get that from mate, can only see like sprays online

• Like 1

@donut I can't link to them mate as there not a sponsor. 

Type in google 1-hydroponics hypochlorous acid. It's the first and second result. It's called idrolabs total care. :yep:

6 minutes ago, fatboy77 said:

@ukbudz now you know this would you go back to rdwc? 

Definitely mate, I'm even thinking of setting it up for the summer just to see what I can do as I feel if I had known what I know now then I would've smashed it. 

I would advise anyone to get the idrolabs total care for dwc as it pisses all over liquid oxygen, pythoff and silver bullet especially for this shit. 

Hi very interesting have just setup a rdwc system having not done it for couple years notice that idrolabs kills all Bactria and I was planning on using mammoth p I know some say it can be hard in a rdwc . If I use the idrolabs will it kill all the good bacteria to