To burp or not to burp?

Recently heard Mean Gene give the opinion that properly dried flower does not need burping and that a slow dry is indeed the cure to a major extent. 

Anyone else given up on the burp? 

I don't burp my weed. It dries for ages (i'm lazy) then it gets vac packed. To think of all those years I pissed about burping jars. What a waste of time.

What's a bloke who interviews wrestlers giving curing advice for? :wacko:

• Like 4

lol he must have fallen on hard times @KC

That’s really good to know thanks. There’s some info out there about burping 3 times a day so glad I won’t be waisting my time over the coming years if it’s not necessary :yinyang:

This time round im paper bagging for an extended period to finish the dry. Chopped and hung whole 17 days ago. 65% rh in the bags, and that'd spike above 70 in a jar. Ill bag till a steady 60ish rh

I've been burping but might change that now as I see more and more of people not burping it with no harm.

I do burp. But only in the first few days , some buds aren't as dry as others and burping distributes the moist evenly.

It's also good for getting the aromas back when the weed has been drying too fast and it gets that boggin hay smell.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CannaKay said:

I do burp. But only in the first few days , some buds aren't as dry as others and burping distributes the moist evenly.

It's also good for getting the aromas back when the weed has been drying too fast and it gets that boggin hay smell.

I disagree with your reasons for burping, they don't make sense.  Burping the jar doesn't distribute moisture evenly.  Leaving it shut does.  Likewise if you've dried too quickly opening the jar is not going to help you. 

This is my 2p. 

If you hang and dry it properly it shouldn't need burped, if your weeds sticky still then it's not dry it's as simple as that.

This might be controversial aswell but I think indica, indica dom are best when they've first finished drying I find the flavour doesn't improve if anything a lot of the fruity terps seem to dissipate the longer the cure and turn into a more hash/earthy taste.  Sativa's like a long cure as I find it mellows that racy anxiety sativa high. 

I also don't find that a cure improves the flavour, it just makes for a smoother smoke. Also if you're weed ever tastes or smells like hay either it's been fucked whilst growing or it's just a shit plant. If it's worthy of being a keeper it will smell the same from when it's been cut to the end of the dry. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fatboy77 said:

I disagree with your reasons for burping, they don't make sense.  Burping the jar doesn't distribute moisture evenly.  Leaving it shut does.  Likewise if you've dried too quickly opening the jar is not going to help you. 

I'll fix it . " After burping for a few days the moisture is distributed evenly because the lid stayed shut for a while" that better ? lol

1 hour ago, CannaKay said:

I'll fix it . " After burping for a few days the moisture is distributed evenly because the lid stayed shut for a while" that better ? lol

Then why open the lid?  

45 minutes ago, fatboy77 said:

Then why open the lid?  

Because there's a chance a mold ruining yer buds 

11 minutes ago, CannaKay said:

Because there's a chance a mold ruining yer buds 

Never had that yet, and I've left stuff unopened in a jar at 65rh (hygrometer in jar) for over a month. 

Below 62rh and there's zero chance of mould.