Worried my super soil is too hot

Madmacca

Worried I may of messed up my super soil and made it too hot.what do you think? It's been cooking for nearly 2 months now 

Heres my recipe:-

100 litre biobizz all mix

150 litre compost

35 litre vermicompost

40 litre perlite

800g Oyster shell flour 

10 cups fbb

1kg kelp meal

2kg rock phosphate

200g dolomite lime

50 g Epsom salt 

Mychorizzial funghi

25g humic acid 

Edited by Madmacca
  • Like 1

I'm far from a expert on super soil mate but if it was me I would of been checking it's temperature daily with a long thermometer probe to see if it heated up much. Once it's cooled down it should be good to go. 

I wouldn't be starting seedlings in that mix though, I'd probably just start seedlings in biobizz then pot them up into the hotter mix once there established. 

In future have a read up on mountain organics soil mix, no cooking needed and you can plant straight into it, me and a few others on here use this mix or even a clackamas coots mix would work but I've never used his recipe before. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ukbudz said:

I'm far from a expert on super soil mate but if it was me I would of been checking it's temperature daily with a long thermometer probe to see if it heated up much. Once it's cooled down it should be good to go. 

I wouldn't be starting seedlings in that mix though, I'd probably just start seedlings in biobizz then pot them up into the hotter mix once there established. 

In future have a read up on mountain organics soil mix, no cooking needed and you can plant straight into it, me and a few others on here use this mix or even a clackamas coots mix would work but I've never used his recipe before. 

Thanks for the reply. I did check the temperature and it didn't seem to get hot in temperature terms. I'm hoping IL get away with it, just worried about the fbb part. IL start the seedling off like you said and transplant at about 2 week old 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Looks fine apart from 5-8 cups too much of fbb. 

I think you might be right.

Thanks for reply.yeah that was the part I'm worried about. It didn't get hot in temperature terms.i checked it for a week. I did also add a few handfuls of chicken manure pellets too. 

Hoping IL get away with it.iy has been a couple months 'cooking' .

How quickly would a hot soil kill a seedling?

@Madmacca it generally won't completely kill it but it will just fuck its growth. Will be pale and stunted. 

Id be adding 400l of base mix to dilute the mega amount of fertiliser in there.

Also you've added dolomite lime and epsoms. 

Thats upset your calcium to magnesium ratio. I add calcium carbonate to dl to adjust the ratio. Adding Epsom will make it very very heavy on magnesium and short of calcium.

More doesnt equal better