Calmag for Coco

NathanW

Good afternoon all,

I have checked with the SW Water website to determine that I have soft water.

Should Calmag be added to water from seedling or wait for a couple of weeks, as with the nutrients?

Thanks.

• Like 1

i had a cal/mag problem without realising it, was only when i started using coco the problem got worse so i looked it up, you need a little more cal/mag using coco, i start using it once seeds/clones are well rooted right till final flush.

• Like 1

On 7.04.2021 at 3:08 PM, hash72 said:

i had a cal/mag problem without realising it, was only when i started using coco the problem got worse so i looked it up, you need a little more cal/mag using coco, i start using it once seeds/clones are well rooted right till final flush.

I have always been adding a bit of calmag (I am using RO water) and just last 2 weeks I have tried to skip it and all my plants look a bit starved. I grow in coco using canna coco A+B

• 1 month later...

Your supplier is same as mine so probably roughly the same I’d think.I feed plant magic magne/cal every watering at 0.5 per litre right the way thru til just before flush. Lot of people say use when you get signs of deficiency I just prefer to run it as works very well for me if it’s working I won’t change it!

TS

I used CalMag for my first few coco grows, thinking I needed it with soft water (0.18 EC from tap) when really all it was doing was loading my plants up with extra N and masking environment-related uptake issues. 

With good pre-buffered coir (I use canna), a base feed formulated for soft water and a sound environment, you shouldn't really need it. 

• Like 1

What's the cal mag for coco situation like for hard water, where I am?

Using vitalink nutrients for hard water, they (vitalink) state use cal mag all way through, but others say only use it during flower and if a deficiency is noticed.

I like the during flower and if see a deficiency regime, if im honest.

Ecothrive charge 70/30 coco perlite.

mysticriver 

Edited by mysticriver

16 minutes ago, mysticriver said:

What's the cal mag for coco situation like for hard water, where I am?

If you're lucky no one knows where you are.  I've got hard water and never used calmag in any medium.  

I'm not using vitalink though. 

Everybody looking at calmag would do well to know their base water content first!  Adding calmag blindly may create more problems and as mentioned above, adds unnecessary N which then needs to be accounted for. 

Keep it simple, know what and more importantly why you do something. 

:yinyang:

• Like 4

An age old problem, calcium and magnesium bind to coco, leaving the plant deficient. I only address it if the plant shows it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone interesting thread im using canna coco a & b myself, first plant was black mac without canna calmag and it went splendidly. next two plants i was adding canna calmag and ive got the curled dark green horn ram leaves from too much N from the canna calmag which @fatboy77 mentioned it would throw a 20/20/20 ratio way off.

my temps dont drop below 18.5 at night and max would be 31.5 lately when it was 25 degrees outside but average around 27 to 28.  RH is between 35 and 72 and there is two fans one a 10 inch and the other a 12 inch with plenty of ventilation in a wee toady itsy bitsy room. you guys reckon i dont even need calmag and just use some epsom salts or something, for the real reason that spurs me on to use the calmag is the new growth is a bit pale looking, BPB said to concentrate on my environment and i have been trying to but the only thing i can think of is RH too low in Veg and RH bit too high at times in bloom & root temps which i couldn't give a reading for because i havent been measuring them. Im afraid of having high humidity with electrical equipment in a confined space in the attic during veg and in bloom i dont like the idea of a dehumidifier running flat out in due to my grow room being the size of a biscuit tin. You think in over ten years of doing this id of grasped it by now. @Oldbear i remember u said about the composition of everyone's local water before and i checked up and my calmag ratio was 1/9 i think, what ratio woukd you aim for and how would i calculate the ammount to put in per litre, love the control over nutrients coco and hydro gives you when feeding. 

in short, concentrate on RH & root temps more? 

Thank you @NathanW for starting this thread

56 minutes ago, TheGreenShabeenReturns said:

i remember u said about the composition of everyone's local water before and i checked up and my calmag ratio was 1/9 i think,

Hi mate, you couldn't find your actual mg/L could you? The ideal ratio of 

Cal : mg should be in the 3 : 1 range. I'll happily calculate for you mate

Ps, yes get the environment dialled in and then your plants will give true readings 

On 23/05/2021 at 0:56 PM, Swerve said:

I only address it if the plant shows it. 

Agreed :yep: 

Owd

• Like 2

@Oldbear thanks you here it is and for anyone living in NI just type into google NI water local water analysis

large.Screenshot_20210605-063506.jpg

so is my calmag ratio 48/8.8 0r 6/1.1 

therefore should i just use epsom salts or canna solo magnesium when signs show? what signs would tip you off to mg def? 

Edited by TheGreenShabeenReturns

1 minute ago, TheGreenShabeenReturns said:

so is my calmag ratio 48/8.8 0r 6/1.1 

therefore should i just use epsom salts or canna solo magnesium when signs show? what signs would tip you off to mg def? 

I prefer mono because measurements are more precise. I personally would amend your water to 3:1 before each feed. Mono mg at 7% = 7mg/L with each 0.1ml of mono added per litre of water. So 0.15ml per litre will put you in the 3:1 range. 

Things to watch for, magnesium is mobile so watch older leaves for signs of yellowing. In flower you may see tacoing of the fan leaves around weeks 3-5, this indicates mg required. I amend my water to 2.5 : 1 at this point as that is the required ratio for optimal P uptake. One dose should suffice. 

Hope that helps

• Like 1