Any other IWS F & D growers on here?

Cannafella

Any other IWS F & D growers on here? 

Would be interested to check out some of the diaries if there is :bong:

• Like 1

I have grown in IWS flood and drain a few times, I have a diary if you want to have a look.

(Link to diary is in my signature below)

Warning: be careful in the ‘Devil’s Arse’ :pitchfork:.

Atb

:) .

• Like 1

Just now, twoscoops said:

I have grown in IWS flood and drain a few times, I have a diary if you want to have a look.

Atb

Nice one man :yep:

I see you use coco as well so that's right up my street

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twoscoops said:

Atb

@twoscoops, do you mind if i ask why you are going to a coco dripper system, when this one looks to have been pretty good for you?

• Like 1

Yes IWS Flood and Draining in hydro here !!

I've never used Coco before so out of interest when using CoCo do you only use dripper systems or can you still F & D ??

• Like 1

Hello @badbillybob , 

Aye it’s been quite decent system over the years but I think I’m bored of it now.

Having looked at many diaries on here using coco run to waste trays, it looks the way forward for me and hopefully a little less hassle to run / clean and set back up.
The new set up I’m building will water the plants in a few minutes fingers crossed :v:.

I like the bubbler systems you build, in time I might build a small aeroponic tub for cloning, they seem to work a treat.

Atb :) .

Edited by twoscoops
Grammar
  • Like 1

On 02/04/2021 at 0:18 PM, twoscoops said:

Hello @badbillybob , 

Aye it’s been quite decent system over the years but I think I’m bored of it now.

Having looked at many diaries on here using coco run to waste trays, it looks the way forward for me and hopefully a little less hassle to run / clean and set back up.
The new set up I’m building will water the plants in a few minutes fingers crossed :v:.

I like the bubbler systems you build, in time I might build a small aeroponic tub for cloning, they seem to work a treat.

Atb :) .

if you are building an aerocloner, get a bigger tub, there is less chance ofhigh temps/root issues with heat off the pump.

i found this out the hard way

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/04/2021 at 0:16 PM, photobat said:

Yes IWS Flood and Draining in hydro here !!

I've never used Coco before so out of interest when using CoCo do you only use dripper systems or can you still F & D ??

Only just seen this!

Yes mate I use flood and drain IWS with hydro coco 60/40 and just flood once a day when they're fully rooted.. My mate who taught me to grow said it's a lot more forgiving than full hydro if something was to break etc..

I definitely wanna give full hydro a go in it though soon but I don't know if I want to deal with the sound of it flooding like 6 times a day or whatever it is with full hydro lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have advice regarding flood frequency, i'm struggling to know if i'm over or under-watering.

Flooding and draining in Veg using Hydro pebbles only, they are 8" high off top of pots they have been in IWS system for 10 days but are not praying to the sky but more slightly on the droopy side. EC 1.2, all other enviro is good as far as i know, 27C Day; Hum 55% , 24C Night; Hum 40%, 

1st flood starts 30 mins into lights on, should i delay this until 45mins or an hour maybe ??

Started with 6 floods a day but now down to 2.

Edited by photobat

I haven't done flood and drain for years so you may want to wait for a better answer @photobat

If my plants are not praying its normally because they are over watered (in my case waterlogged) or they have enough light to not bother.

They sound young at 8inches and if your just rooting them out 18hrs (Im assuming photoperiod) thats every three hours......Thats what I was doing in flower from memory (and my memory  isn't great tbf)

They will look a little droopy an won't go looking for water ie root out nicely.

Get some pics up and lets have a look.....Like you say your environment is good.

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 1

Hi @zen-ken appreciate your reply.

Think i've got myself in a little bit of a pickle because i have some time pressure on me to get this crop done so i'm able to use it to self medicate after my operation that's due in September. Due to this i had a back up plan, plants ready to transplant from a flood n drain table called a 'Vegigator' and i also hand watered plants from seed put into root riot cubes and placed into 7.5 cm plastic pots with hydro pebbles placed around them.

Everything was going well, the Vegigator was flooding 10 times in a 18hr period plants looked good, i tried the same schedule when transplanted into the IWS Flood n drain but only half of them caught the others just drooped for 3 days so i started to reduced the quantity of floods from 10 down to 6, 5, 4 3 and even 2 times a day but without and recovery success, maybe i was too heavy handed transplanting them as i was in a massive rush but idk, so i ripped all but 2 out and started on the smaller hand watered plants in the iws, they are going much better but i still have 2 or 3 that are a little droopy.

Yesterday i flooded them at start of lights on and didn't water for 9hrs to see if they perked up and then drooped before i would water them again but they never perked up or got more droopy, maybe i should have waited longer before starting the 2nd flood but i wanted to go to bed and feared leasving them another 7hrs without a watering, i've tried timelapse video to see if they initially pick up after watering but its inconclusive, i have probably set these slow takers either too high or low in the flood water, it was difficult with the hydro balls floating at full flood and once the water had drained back i could see the pebbles settle down even lower say 1" down from transplant height.

Anyway i'm sorry its turning into a long post i just wanted advice on usual times between floods, i'm in Veg they are they were 3 weeks old from seed when put into iws, they have only had 8 days in the iws

The thing is i had them all praying when i was had watering in the IWS, idk if its a good thing to do but i hand water them all around the root riot cube in order that i don't waterlog the cube so that i encourage the root growth out and down into the new bigger pot that i transplanted into.

So i've gone back to a combination of iws flooding and hand watering, i think that with the dodgy 3 the roots haven't worked themselves down enough to self feed, the small root riot cube is dry atm and i stopped the hand watering due to some dampening off on the stems, the stem is about half thickness on some on the bottom of the stem from top of root riot to about 1" up, maybe this is restricting water/nute uptake idk.

Tomorrow i will try and get some photos up here if i can suss out how once again !!

I usually flood every 3 or 4 hours in veg and early flower going upto 10 times a day from about week 2 of flower onwards but this time 3 are just not biting, just wanted some validation that every 3 or 4 hours was about right !

• Like 1

mymate runs an alien f&D, and goes with 3 waterings during lights on in veg and 4 or 5 in bloom, if it helps.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just popping back here to help anyone who ends up with the same issue of upturned leaf margins and canoeing leaves.

In my case it turned out that the upturned serrated edges and canoeing of the leaves was a a sign of under-watering, i eventually sussed it out after running different flood intervals experiments over 2 days, they are now getting flooded every 1.5hrs but unfortunately some damage is done and i am highly likely to not get much from these, the internodal spacing is very tight which is a good thing normally but the plants growth has been stunted.

I note that some fan leaves are massive, twice the size of an open hand, not sure if this is related to the under-watering or just strain specific, they are LA confidential, anyway i have removed the top most huge fan leaves to let light down to other new growth areas so hopefully i will get something out of these :g:

• 3 weeks later...

The idea is to start off with less feeds and built up gradually towards the end I like them being on the minimum feeding time so it fills the pots up and immediately takes the water away and back in the water but and that way the roots are always looking for the next feed haven’t done flood and drain for about 3 years but it was my best set up so far.