Ideas for a 60x60x120

MindSoup

Just ordered a 60x60x120 grow tent, very small but still nearly a double in size to my previous space. I want to grow 2 strains at a time for a bit of variety. Trying to work out which way to go, one big square attempt at a living soil bed or maybe 2 smaller ones, more of a super soil type of thing with supplements. With height being a restriction I'd like to keep the total height of the soil as low as possible to maximise growing space. 2 plants or 4? Cover crops (got some white micro clover)? 

I'll be getting a bokashi bin setup and a worm farm soon to stop landfilling food waste so could incorporate the outputs of that. I already have a little blumat setup (6 carrots) which I'm a big fan of, about 750g of life cycle,  and a 50g sachet of biosys from my previous grows.  Anyone out there fully organic in that space? How do you operate?

Edited by MindSoup

There's a person on the ole tube called ToToGrow UK.

You probably have heard of him but he does some sick one pot dual plants on his channel whilst keeping them bonsai sized.

I haven't seen a lot of his stuff but I'm fairly certain I've heard him mention he's organic, might have a video or two on his organics.

I'd like to see a big living soil bed, be pretty cool.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobTheDaabber said:

There's a person on the ole tube called ToToGrow UK.

You probably have heard of him but he does some sick one pot dual plants on his channel whilst keeping them bonsai sized.

I haven't seen a lot of his stuff but I'm fairly certain I've heard him mention he's organic, might have a video or two on his organics.

I'd like to see a big living soil bed, be pretty cool.

Totogrow does ring a distant bell, I'll have a look through his stuff. Yeah proper living soil would be cool, I'm just not sure if theres a minimum depth of soil needed or if the space is really big enough to run it effectively. 

Edited by MindSoup

Just now, MindSoup said:

Totogrow does ring a distant bell, I'll have a look throu his stuff. Yeah proper living soil would be cool, I'm just not sure if theres a minimum depth of soil needed or if the space is really big enough to run it effectively. 

Not entirely sure, he does some single plants in ceramic rectangle pots that look no deeper than 8inches.. 

@DeepSmoke420 had plans on doing a large box full of medium and having 4 plants in but not sure if they got round to doing it..

• Like 1

Same space as mine, I’ve debated a growbag style grow myself.... like how my grandad grew tomatoes haha. I think there’s definitely pro’s and cons. I like that each plant has its own root environment effectively and how each can be altered in separate pots (I’m using 11l fibre pots at the moment).. but the gain in growth height isn’t to be sniffed at 

I think those dimensions would suit better lying down? I know some tents won't open this way. You could have a scrog net up and just use LED light strips along the top. With a netting up, it wouldn't matter if they stretch at different rates.

Otherwise, turn it into a nursery until May, where you can sprout 100's of hybrid seedlings ready for your 2kg outdoor harvest in October. From June onwards, use it to grow a lovely sativa scrog over summer. :yep:

Just now, Slippy One said:

I think those dimensions would suit better lying down? I know some tents won't open this way. You could have a scrog net up and just use LED light strips along the top. With a netting up, it wouldn't matter if they stretch at different rates.

Otherwise, turn it into a nursery until May, where you can sprout 100's of hybrid seedlings ready for your 2kg outdoor harvest in October. From June onwards, use it to grow a lovely sativa scrog over summer. :yep:

Fairly certain this is the only way he can have the tent with the space he has:yep:

In that case, 1 decent plant in scrog formation. Push through the filter on the outside to save height. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, greengreensmog said:

Same space as mine, I’ve debated a growbag style grow myself.... like how my grandad grew tomatoes haha. I think there’s definitely pro’s and cons. I like that each plant has its own root environment effectively and how each can be altered in separate pots (I’m using 11l fibre pots at the moment).. but the gain in growth height isn’t to be sniffed at 

I like that idea, do they do organic/living soil grow bags ?

2 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

Unfortunately I'm limited on space so has to be 120cm tall configuration, I've been working in half the size till now so for me it will feel quite spacious lol. If I do manage a GG this year they'll all be germed in the greenhouse, as im doing a bit of a breeding project and only want the hardiest plants. Just weighing up options for the root zone.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

The minimum depth is the key issue I think. If 10-20cm is enough depth for worms then I would be tempted to have a go at full living soil as one big 50x50, but If I'm right on the edge of it being possible I think it better to stick with a super soil type thing, top dress and bokashi tea style. 

Well I've been doing a bit of reading, and for a proper no till bed with worms and the lot you need a good 30cm of soil minimum. I was hoping to keep it below 20cm max to maximise room for the plants. Considering I'll have the worm farm and bokashi setup soon enough, I think I'll just stick to microbes and predators and a few more inputs.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Well I've been doing a bit of reading, and for a proper no till bed with worms and the lot you need a good 30cm of soil minimum. I was hoping to keep it below 20cm max to maximise room for the plants. Considering I'll have the worm farm and bokashi setup soon enough, I think I'll just stick to microbes and predators and a few more inputs.

That's a shame, would have been intresting to follow..

maybe in the future aye.

Yeah bit of a bummer, I'll see how much headroom I'm left with after this run and come back to that Idea. 

• Like 1

Just now, MindSoup said:

Yeah bit of a bummer, I'll see how much headroom I'm left with after this run and come back to that Idea. 

All the best with it :)

On 28/03/2021 at 5:49 PM, MindSoup said:

I've completed 2 grows in a 100cm tent using 25cm tall pots. Headroom is a little tight at times but plenty of LST keeps things manageable. I'd probably give it a go to be honest, but I'd be looking to maximise height where possible by making sure you can squeeze out a few extra inches by ensuring your lights can be pushed right up to the tent ceiling by running ratchets through the tent roof rather than relying on the central beam (I took mine out!). It's a squeeze, but it works. Had a 400w HPS in there with my first grow and just about made it.

large.20201208_091103.jpglarge.20201231_130922_resize_76_compress33.jpg

Edited by superfruit
  • Like 4