Cooking with cannabis - Canna Butter

DANZIG

Ingesting cannabis has the same effect as smoking it, but it's slower to take effect, lasts longer and can be more potent.

Eating cannabis is a significantly more efficient method of delivering the theraputic content than to smoke it.

When you smoke cannabis the burning process destroys about 50% of the THC, you also exhale a lot of the theraputic content, when you eat it you get it all, and the effect can be significantly stronger. When you smoke cannabis it is absorbed almost immediately into the bloodstream and goes straight to your head, when you ingest it has to be absorbed after digestion through the lining of the stomach.

The medicinal benefits of cannabis are significantly more effective when you eat it.

Herbal Butter

This is the main ingredient in almost all cannabis cooking, ganja butter can be added to biscuits and cakes.

This butter has a green-earthy slightly bitter taste, and this taste needs to be masked. Baking recipes with lots of chocolate, cinnamon, or ginger will go a long way to achieving this.

The real secret to great tasting results is to add some real butter to the recipe, I recommend that whatever the recipe calls for, only use 3/4 of the required total amount of butter with herbal butter and use natural butter for the rest. This will give you significantly better taste. I do not recommend frying with this herbal butter.

Ingredients:

-1/2 pound of butter

-4 pints of boiling water

- 1 ounce of course dry shake, or wet shake (aka trim leaf)

Instructions:

-In a large pan add 4 pints of water, and the shake.

-Bring to the boil, reduce the heat so that the water is simmering gently.

-Add the butter. Stir until the butter is dissolved. Allow to simmer for three hours.

-Stretch 4 layers of cheesecloth over a large pan and scoop out the shake and put it on the cheesecloth, then pour the contents of the pot over the shake (I suggest wearing gloves as the mixture is quite hot). This will separate the shake from the mixture, now take some boiling water from a kettle and pour it over the shake to remove any butter that is clinging to it.

-Carefully squeeze the cheesecloth to remove all the butter and throw away the shake (be careful, it is still quite hot).

-Pour the mixture of butter and water in to a plastic container (empty ice cream container is fine) and place in the freezer. Remove when frozen and you will find that the butter has floated to the surface, you will have a layer of green butter floating on the top. Skim it off and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Throw the frozen water away.

The butter can be cut into portions, wrapped in tin foil and stored in the fridge or freezer

• Like 5

• 10 months later...

I've tried a couple of other methods of making the butter.

The first was to simply heat the butter in a thick-bottomed pan over the lowest possible heat. This undoubtedly heats the butter past 100 degrees C, and causes the butter to boil if left for a long time without occationally removing the pan from the heat and stirring the butter. So one needs to spend most of one's time in the kitchen, stirring. Not good if you're going to be doing this for up to an hour.

The second method was to set up a double boiler, as you would use to melt chocolate. This ensures that the butter never exceeds or even reaches 100 degrees, but maintains a constant temperature of around 95ish, and never burns or boils. The top of the bowl that carried the butter was 'sealed' using foil. This can almost be left unattended, but the boiling water in the pan underneath the butter bowl must be topped up periodically for obvious reasons.

The third one, which I am going to try, was to seal the butter in an ovenproof container, such as a very small glass roasting dish or souffle dish. The top of the dish would be sealed with foil, and the dish would be placed in an oven at around 150 degrees (this is the lowest temperature on my oven, I would try lower temperatures if it were possible). The dish would occasionally be agitated to aid the THC molecules' diffusion from the bud into the butter, and also to help them to dissolve in the fat.

• 4 weeks later...

hey i'm new to all of dis!!! was just wonderin if any1 cud help me out!! i want to make sum skunk cakes, will be the first time i've tried cookin wif green so any help n tips wud be great!!! sum easy recapies that do the job, wanna get wrecked 2nite!!!:clapping:

Edited by meluvsdaskunk

hey i'm new to all of dis!!! was just wonderin if any1 cud help me out!! i want to make sum skunk cakes, will be the first time i've tried cookin wif green so any help n tips wud be great!!! sum easy recapies that do the job, wanna get wrecked 2nite!!!:yinyang:

This is the Medicinal useage Forum M8. For the info you need, go to the Cooking with Cannabis Forum - loadsa recipes :spliff:

• 10 months later...

Thanks Danzig.

Just tried it and it Worked a treat!

It wasn't too powerful an effect but it is hard to judge correct amount to use.

Is there any low-cost way of working out THC, CBD, CBN content in milligrams?

Anyway, Thanks!

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry to seem so thick, but when making cannabutter you mention using an ounce of shake (aka, leaf trim) do you mean just that and not use bud?

Sorry to seem so thick, but when making cannabutter you mention using an ounce of shake (aka, leaf trim) do you mean just that and not use bud?

Thanks, My wife has smoked for a couple of years now for pain relief, but has been told by the doctor she must stop so I am looking into other ways to help her and this looks a good idea along with milk..

• 2 months later...

Hey,

I really liked your blog on cooking. I just joined the site and have a lot more to learn but it was interesting reading your blog. I was wondering if you knew anything about smoking weed while on the medications Pristique and Welbutrin? Or if you know someone that knows anything about it?

Luv'd to hear from you if you have any information for me

Thanks so much!

I'll look forward to reading your posts in the future.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, interesting subject here, a m8 and i delved into the world of canna cooking a few years ago, we used to make a 500 grams of butter using an ounce of good quality well dried bud, using the method in the first post, by using water with the butter and weed gives you a nice buffer so that u dont actually burn the thc, also it helps take out some of the extra chlorophyll, hence making a much tastier product. :naughty:

I have personally made a few different recipes with canna butter but i find that mixing it in with chocolate gives a really nice quick onset, due to the high fat content in the chocolate, anywhere between half an hour to an hour and a half for full onset, but please dont be fooled, this method of using weed is very underrated, dont eat to much, work your way up slowly as it can completely knock you on your arse, i once consumed about half an ounce of choc brownie mix one afternoon becasue i wasnt really feeling stoned for a good hour or so and then all of a sudden, WHAM!!!! :blub::blub::(:blub::blub:

There i was curled up in the fetal possition on my mates bed, asking him to turn the tv off and the radio off as all i could hear was white noise, i completely greened out, i had to get my mother in law to pick me up as there was no way i could drive home. This was a full psychadelic experiance at first that led to a very psychotic experience at the flick of a switch, i dont really remember much beyond hearing the white noise part, however my wife told me that i slept for 18 hours afterwards, ive not consumed canna butter since. :blub: My point here is just becareful, dont over do it, as mentioned before when consuiming weed like this, you are getting 100% of the thc, a little is alot . :wassnnme:

• Like 2