Harm Reduction, Cannabis smoking

DANZIG

I need to sort myself out. I've got a vape and a pipe. I can't leave joints with tobacco alone. I've even made ejuice but got board with the novelty. I think it's all the years of hash joints and bush in my teens, I like it even though it's poison :(

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I've been scouring the net lately for direct, non-biased, fact based answers on the health risks of vaping cannabis buds. Came across this thread and to be honest, its confused me further. 

I've read so many articles that contain and lot of 'possibly', 'maybe', 'probably', 'might'. I can only presume the legal issues have greatly hindered proper non-biased medical research that has no political agenda. Its harder again to find studies focused primarily on vaping cannabis, in this regard. 

I just want someone to do a proper medical, scientific study, on what exactly I am inhaling when I use my vaporiser. I am in my mid-30's, and I've never smoked in my life, tobacco nor anything else. However I have developed really bad anxiety issues which have in turn gave me the most horrendous insomnia that has made me leave any job I've obtained in recent years. This then led to what I would consider drinking too often. No particularly heavily, but a bottle of wine more nights than not every week definitely isn't good. It was a habit that started from using alcohol as a sleep-aid. Something I should never have made the mistake of doing. 

Anyway, you can see where I am coming from. Having never smoked anything in my life before, when I started vaping for anxiety, insomnia and to stop drinking, I found it helped on all fronts, and I actually now enjoy it recreationally. I started about 2 - 3 years ago, with an Arizer air, growing high CBD strains. However, now I wonder have I replaced one health risk with another. Considering I never smoked in my life and my lungs were free of that, I don't want to now start putting them under risk. On top of it all, I've always been terrified of cancer and try to keep a healthy diet specifically to stay away from it if I can. 

I've brought this up on threads before and been told to either not bother if I am worried (which doesn't help at all), or to use edibles instead of vaping. Well, I have tried edibles several times and I really don't enjoy it, or find it as beneficial for my needs as vaping. I am finding vaping good, so I want to just know exactly what is what. 

Reading this post, I am very surprised to hear about the ratio of tar I am apparently ingesting by using my vaporiser. Other articles I've read on vape studies say general terms like "there is a significantly reduced quantity of harmful chemicals/toxins". Again, this means nothing to me - reduced enough that its not harmful? How harmful is said quantity? As harmful as say walking around a city all day breathing in smog?

Anyway, just finding it all quite frustrating. I've actually started to just have a few glasses of wine again more often, instead of an evening vape. It has its own huge range of risks obviously, but again I can't find any proper figures to know which is the lesser of two evils. I've been sat here tonight looking at my vape wondering is this something I need to stop now too. 

Edited by irishsteve84

tar is the carcinogen, so I guess the answer to your worries lies in the temperature at which tar vaporises, as against that at which thc vaporises. Or is tar a product of burning only?

That's a long post @irishsteve84 but the short answer is nobody knows the comparative risks of the things you've talked about there

My personal opinion would be vaping cannabis is much less harmful in the long run than drinking alcohol every night in order to help you sleep , I'd also be more worried about traffic fumes

etc. if you are living in a city and exposed to that on a daily basis

As you say the legal situation means we actually know far less about the subject than we really should so nobody is going to be able to give you a definitive answer

• Like 6

@irishsteve84

Maybe processing the cbd laden herb to a concentrate would help vape less and get the same affect? I dunno, I know my lungs have very much thanked me in terms of not combusting. Also surely it has to be better than alcohol?! Its basically poison for your organs :)

• Like 2

Good points @Degsy & @KaptainKush. I guess my biggest fear is specifically cancer - and I read up a lot on scientific studies. Alcohol is poison for the organs indeed - its bad stuff, and its why you feel rotten the next day. Thats the side effects taking their toll. Compared to cannabis making you wake up relaxed and energised the next day. However, I've also never found a study that definitively links alcohol to cancer - but there are some studies that say there 'might' be a link to some methods of consuming cannabis - and it 'might' be more to do with combustion. There is not enough studies yet on vaping cannabis, specifically in regards to people who don't and never have combusted tobacco or anything else in their lives, but then started to vape cannabis. That's one of the few ways you can study the effects of vaping cannabis only on lungs etc that have never been exposed to other combusted inhalants. I think if I knew the answer was "there is no risk from vaping cannabis", I'd probably be vaping a lot more often, and drinking a lot less too. 

Sorry for the long ranting posts - just my thoughts on the subject. 

• Like 2

@irishsteve84 

Your points are definitely valid. 

Few studies on the effects of vaping 

Fewer studies on the effects of vaping on non smokers 

But if cancer in your main concern, I think exercise and dietary factors would be my biggest concern. Properly raised meat and an abundance of fresh fruit and veg etc 

My opinion of course

:yinyang: 

• Like 2

Just now, KaptainKush said:

@irishsteve84 

Your points are definitely valid. 

Few studies on the effects of vaping 

Fewer studies on the effects of vaping on non smokers 

But if cancer in your main concern, I think exercise and dietary factors would be my biggest concern. Properly raised meat and an abundance of fresh fruit and veg etc 

My opinion of course

:yinyang: 

@KaptainKush oh yea, you are defo right there dude. I am good with that anyway, considering my fears of shit like that. I think I have a fairly good diet. I'm no saint, I eat junk food once in a while. Maybe at the weekend. But in general my daily diet is pretty good. I eat lots of veg, fruit, I chug home made fruit/veg/seed smoothies every day, only eat meat 2 or 3 times a week, and I don't eat any sweets or fizzy drinks etc eat all home cooked meals etc

I guess its a little frustrating because I started using cannabis medically but now I enjoy it recreationally and would love to be less worried about it and enjoy it guilt free! Oh well, hopefully better research in the near distant future. I just bought new seeds for my next grow so I am excited Yeeehaaa!

• Like 2

@irishsteve84 diet sounds spot on, 

Have you considered making some oil and swilling it in your mouth? Virgin coconut oil i would of thought would be the best. 

I know the cbd oil iv tried worked wonders before I'd even swallowed it, so maybe even spit the oil after? Hardly a recreational way of getting the desired effects but guilt free ? Maybe 

Good luck with your new beans pal 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KaptainKush said:

@irishsteve84 diet sounds spot on, 

Have you considered making some oil and swilling it in your mouth? Virgin coconut oil i would of thought would be the best. 

I know the cbd oil iv tried worked wonders before I'd even swallowed it, so maybe even spit the oil after? Hardly a recreational way of getting the desired effects but guilt free ? Maybe 

Good luck with your new beans pal 

Yea looked into a few things. Briefly looked into oil - but I'm only on like my third grow and still getting to grips with that whole process. From what I recall the oil is a whole other process to master. I almost made some cannabutter from my current batch. Glad I didn't to be honest, because I think I only have enough left to see me through until the new grow is harvested. You're right though, recreationally it just ain't as desirable. I've actually grown to quite like the process of vaping. It's nice being able to just pick off a little bud and put it straight into the vape. Tastes lovely too !! Love the wide variety of flavours. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2017 at 1:08 PM, Degsy said:

My personal opinion would be vaping cannabis is much less harmful in the long run than drinking alcohol every night in order to help you sleep , I'd also be more worried about traffic fumes

etc. if you are living in a city and exposed to that on a daily basis

Exactly. We're all slowly dying and vaping weed is nothing to what's really killing us, imho.

• Like 4

Vaping bud is defo much better than smoking it ital.  But it defo is not good for you just less harmful that is all.  I find making cookies with the trim very effective as I am a heavy vaper and find my daily vaping intake goes rite down when I eat sed cookies.  2p  :yinyang:

• Like 2

• 5 years later...
On 04/06/2005 at 4:20 PM, DANZIG said:

Water pipes are inferior to cigarettes and should be avoided.

Really?! Why?