How do I get my anti-siphon valve to work correctly

Twiftking

large.Screenshot_20210321-161204.jpg

I have this anti siphon valve and I believe I have installed it correctly.

The pump in the bottom of the reservoir. This is a tee piece off the pipe from the pump with the anti siphon valve at the highest point in the tank. I was under the impression that it was a check valve which prevents water from escaping but allows air to enter and preventing a siphon.

The issue I have is that when the pump is on its squirting water across the loft :(

Is it faulty or have I misunderstood/Installed it incorrectly.

Yes for sure:yep: I’ve never seen one of those before but I presuming you can adjust the flow to turn it down a bit? If not you can install a tap in-line. 

My first one didn’t jet out water. It lasted couple of months and failed. Replaced with same again and it’s doing the same thing as yours! Also replacement didn’t stop siphon effect.

I’ve just ordered an alternative....

Edited by custard ears
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, custard ears said:

My first one didn’t jet out water. It lasted couple of months and failed. Replaced with same again and it’s doing the same thing as yours! Also replacement didn’t stop siphon effect.

I’ve just ordered an alternative....

What's the alternative?

On 21/03/2021 at 5:14 PM, VRG said:

Yes for sure:yep: I’ve never seen one of those before but I presuming you can adjust the flow to turn it down a bit? If not you can install a tap in-line. 

It does have a diaphragm inside and I believe it's supposed to stop water coming out and only allow water in, it really really doesn't do that. At least I'm not the only one

I’ve never seen one of those before but how most people do it is they just recirculate it back into the tank. 

If you put a simple inline tap on the outlet pointing back into your tank(I presumed this is what your little fitting was doing) you can throttle it down, which at the same time controls how much pressure you have at the drippers. Personally I would just replace it with a little tap.:yep:

Yes it should spray water.
When the pump goes off air enters in through that hole and stops the water siphoning off...

I like to use a 16-4mm autopot T connector at tank level with a small bit of drip line, tie wrapped to the pipe, pointing back into the tank. 

• Like 3

I do pretty much the same as the post above , I only tried a anti siphon valve for one grow and it stuck shut and emptied the whole res one day.

22 hours ago, Twiftking said:

It’s arrived today I shall pm you if it works, I’ll have it set up within a few hrs. 
The ones I tried as you have just don’t seem to cut it in a high pressure system. 
I think I got lucky with the first one! 

On 3/21/2021 at 4:59 PM, Twiftking said:

So it's supposed to jet out under normal use?

My first one didn’t and worked fine, the replacement squirted out for a few seconds but didn’t not allow air back in to stop the siphon effect, so I would say, no they’re not doing the job!

Tried running a drip line back to tank and that didn’t work either, carried on dripping!

Dont know if it’s because I’m using a topspin??