Plant Magic Supreme Mix

greatgreenstuff

Just like most things, I’m sure this question has been asked but things change, and I couldn’t find anything recent on here. 

Who’s using Plant Magic ‘supreme’? Are people adding perlite? Coco? 

Just started a grow with it, added my usual bag soil amendments which are perlite, worm castings and dolomite lime (for cal/mag and PH stability).

Can't give you any info on how well it works yet I'm afraid, but the consistency seems nice, and I believe I went for it because I found a fair few positive comments on forums like these.

• Like 1

Just now, OneMorePuff said:

Just started a grow with it, added my usual bag soil amendments which are perlite, worm castings and dolomite lime (for cal/mag and PH stability).

Can't give you any info on how well it works yet I'm afraid, but the consistency seems nice, and I believe I went for it because I found a fair few positive comments on forums like these.

What ratios are you using? I’m particularly intrigued by the dolomite lime

Perlite and worm castings I just eyeball, but I'm aiming for maybe 15-20% perlite, and 10-15% worm castings.  

Dolomite lime I think was about 1 tbsp per 10 litres of soil.  I let the soil 'cook' in a big plastic container in my shed for at least two weeks before using though.  I use dolomite lime because I grow organic and I prefer not to use synthetic calmag if I can avoid it, plus I tend to find that the soil typically gets more acidic throughout flower, and the dolomite lime helps counter that and push it back towards the 6.5 - 7 range.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OneMorePuff said:

Perlite and worm castings I just eyeball, but I'm aiming for maybe 15-20% perlite, and 10-15% worm castings.  

Dolomite lime I think was about 1 tbsp per 10 litres of soil.  I let the soil 'cook' in a big plastic container in my shed for at least two weeks before using though.  I use dolomite lime because I grow organic and I prefer not to use synthetic calmag if I can avoid it, plus I tend to find that the soil typically gets more acidic throughout flower, and the dolomite lime helps counter that and push it back towards the 6.5 - 7 range.

What’s the reason behind the 2 weeks?

Because I want a chance for the microbes in soil to work their magic which is important for organic growing, and to give the raw ingredients like the dolomite and worm castings a chance to 'cool off' a bit in the soil so it's not too hot/harsh on young plants (even with the cook I wouldn't use this soil for seedlings though, I'd use some kind of light mix/potting mix for that).  Ideally I try to cook a soil for more than two weeks, but I think that's considered a bare minimum.  

• Like 1

Just now, OneMorePuff said:

Because I want a chance for the microbes in soil to work their magic which is important for organic growing, and to give the raw ingredients like the dolomite and worm castings a chance to 'cool off' a bit in the soil so it's not too hot/harsh on young plants (even with the cook I wouldn't use this soil for seedlings though, I'd use some kind of light mix/potting mix for that).  Ideally I try to cook a soil for more than two weeks, but I think that's considered a bare minimum.  

Ah thanks. I used Plant Magic soil on my last grow, which, for reasons not related to compost, didn’t go as well hoped. 
For that grow I just used it on its own. I’m thinking because I use rainwater, the addition of lime may help with cal/mag issues without the need for synthetic cal/mag.

1 hour ago, greatgreenstuff said:

Who’s using Plant Magic ‘supreme’? Are people adding perlite? Coco? 

I've used it and rate it well, even still now.

It is a light mix compost to aid rooting speed, you need to start feeding by week 2.

IMO Its better suited to hard water area's/ users.

Noticed people who tend to have issues with it are in soft water areas.

Definitely don't add perlite ! It's already got something called fytocell, which is way better.

Adding coco to any compost changes the buffer and isn't recommended unless you have knowledge regarding buffers

if you interested in  peat/coco mix check out "Tropic mix" already buffered correctly.

CloverMP Is another proven to be good in soft water.

BTW if you're having to add lime to compost you just paid all that money for, maybe it isn't the right one for you. :unsure:

and FWIW

the cal and mg won't be bio available from the dolomite for weeks if not months, but it will change the composts PH buffer straight away

1 hour ago, greatgreenstuff said:

addition of lime may help with cal/mag issues without the need for synthetic cal/mag

hmm, both are mined minerals Don't know how organic factors into mined minerals,  I guess its how far you want to take it, or from what angle your looking at it from, but growing in tent inside, under an artificial light isn't exactly organic to begin with is it, so I wouldn't get to hung up on cal /mg

but if you are Biobizz does an organic cal/mg never used it, but it's an option

good luck

• Like 5

You can use it straight from the bag without adding anything, I’ve used it for years, amend with insect frass and voila... it’s quality and consistent, that’s the most important thing imo 

• Like 1

Just started my first grow using PM. No previous experience to compare it too but first impressions are good. 

It feels quality, light and airy with no big chunks etc. Time will tell

• Like 1

What ever happened to Plant Magic?....`bout 10yrs back when they first came around it was all i used along with Oldtimers organic nute range....with amazing results...

I'm using the plant magic soil range, old timer next, and their soil. Started from seed in it and it fed my autos for a good 30 days+. Hard water area. Worked for me so far but I have nothing to compare it to.

E2a: Did add dolomite lime to soil to begin as I found a couple of articles and after testing, soil ph sits around 5.5. Added for my own sanity to be fair. 2nd grow

Edited by EarLobe