Power supply to new cab

murphyblue

After moving over a year ago i finally got a cupboard i can grow in as the house i am renting has no cupboard space and the attic is a no no.

Wont do any pics at this stage as still in progress but lets just say this is another total stealth build from the outside it will look like a metal 2 door cabinet and when i get a visit so will the inside.

Will do a full cab build picture update when i finished been taking pics as i been going along and need it finished in the next couple of weeks i got seeds to plant. lol

Anyway my reason for post.

My last build was in the eaves via a little hatch it was supplied with power using the top box and cable which was wired into the back of a double socket so no visible cables going into walls etc.

Now my first question is (and i think the answer is yes) can i put a 13 amp plug on the end of the cable with the socket inside the cab and plug out???

And the obvious 2nd question is would i be better off safety wise by swapping out the boxes and would it still run ok off a 13 amp plug???

@Joint hogger i remember you helping me out with the step controller for my fan you got any idea mate.

large.IMG_0613.JPG

I just done a rough tot up the small oil rad which fits under the veg cab pulls the most at 700w up full so looking at just over 1000w in total i reckon.

As i said earlier need to get this sorted in the next couple of weeks to get my outdoor stuff started so any help welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1: putting a plug on the end of the cable should be fine as long as your cable is rated for the load , just make sure you put a grommet on before the plug if any holes you poke it through are in metal. 
Q2: can’t do any harm.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Abe Froman said:

Q1: putting a plug on the end of the cable should be fine as long as your cable is rated for the load , just make sure you put a grommet on before the plug if any holes you poke it through are in metal. 
Q2: can’t do any harm.

Thanks for that mate.

I swapped out the boxes so the RCD will now be the power in to the cab and used the other box with different cable as an extension at bottom of cab.

I will be honest and confess after i didn't get a reply i sent my brother this pic and a couple of other pics explained to him what i'm doing as he's an electrician of 30 yrs.

First off as usual he laughed then brought up that in my 20's i couldn't even wire a plug without getting him to check it.

Then he finally told me everything should be safe and was a good idea to have the RCD as the main power supply.

• Like 1