Wick System Trick

paradiseseeds

So what about the medium at the neck of the bottle sitting under the water line?  Roots are going to grow down there in the same way it happens with Autopot.

I'd use a 5L water bottle and throw in an air stone.

Edited by Ceiling Cat
  • Like 1

I had plants in soil. I took out the whole dry rootball from the pot and poked strips of Jiffy cloth through the holes, up to the rim of the pot. Then, I got a long wide lining strip, as wide as the pot was tall, and wrapped that around the inside of the pot. So it went, pot, strips, lining. Then I put the plant soil rootball back in again. If I remember, I had to smooth out the Jiffy strips and wrap the rootball with jiffy, then slide that in to the pot. Then, the pots sat in water, but on little up stands, so they weren't in the actual water, the wicks were. The strips wicked up the water, that went all around the outside and fed the plant. 

It worked a treat - I slowed my growth down for the holiday I was away. Less nutes, colder climate, less air refreshment, less light etc and I came back to plants that were the same with a bit of straggly growth. The day I got back from holiday I remixed nutes, swapped the lamp, cranked the fan and clipped the untidy growth and was off again.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...