Am I ready

EarLobe

Hi everyone, was hoping someone experienced could give me their opinion on these buds. Lemon Pie autos from fast buds just entered week 9. Trichomes seem to be there or there abouts I think but got a recent show of white pistils on a couple of tops sites. Thanks in advance!

large.20210313_220050_compress73.jpglarge.20210313_220040_compress33.jpglarge.20210313_220028_compress21.jpglarge.2021_03_13_22_00_05_424.pnglarge.2021_03_13_21_59_45_249.pnglarge.2021_03_13_21_58_47_660.pnglarge.20210313_220023_compress0.jpg

• Like 1

Looks pretty spot on to me, you could run a few more days maybe but not a week they look pretty well cooked, good job mate :) 

Hold on til a couple more agree with me, but I'm fairly sure they will :yep:

Edit: I've had quite a few plants now chuck out white pistils up top when they are ready - the rest of the plant looks nice.

Edited by unity
stuff
  • Like 2

If it were me I'd probably give her another 10 - 14 days, those white pistils make me think she still might have some fattening to do, plus I still see a fair few clear trichs in the close up pics.  I do like a heavy smoke though.

They're certainly mature enough to get a decent smoke, they don't look 100% done to me though.

Ran two fastbuds autos in the auto grow I've just finished, the girl scout cookies is amazing, one of the tastiest, heaviest smokes I've ever grown, proper dank taste and smell.  The original auto cheese is rubbish though, very little smell or flavour, about as far from cheese as you can get. It's always a roll of the pheno dice when growing from seed I guess.

• Like 4

Thanks mate. Been pacing between the scope and the scissors for a little while now lol.

Itching to get my hands on her

Just now, OneMorePuff said:

those white pistils make me think she still might have some fattening to do

That is what I was unsure about myself to be fair. Quite happy to have a heavier stone, it's what I smoke for to be fair, I'll be watching the trichomes like a hawk

• Like 1

I think the most I'd be willing to see is 50:50 Amber cloudy and maybe that would be too far? Trichome pictures where all top sites but mid and low level buds are all maturing at pretty much thr same rate on this one 

Just now, EarLobe said:

I think the most I'd be willing to see is 50:50 Amber cloudy and maybe that would be too far? Trichome pictures where all top sites but mid and low level buds are all maturing at pretty much thr same rate on this one 

That might be a bit much I'd say, but I think you've got a couple of weeks at least before you hit that point.  In your pics I see mostly cloudy with some clear, and a smattering of amber.  That for me would be the earliest point I would personally harvest.  If the buds looked swollen and finished then I'd take her now, but they look like they've got more swelling to do. 

Judging trichs is weird... I generally aim for a good 20% of ambers minimum, but some people believe that as soon as a trichome turns amber it's actually degraded, so they only aim for maximum cloudy with no ambers, and some strains don't even amber up that much at all.  I also wonder if the traditional advice comes from the OG's who were checking their trichs with basic hand held magnifying glasses or with the naked eye, where as I notice WAY more ambers with my little usb microscope then with my 30x loupe, I might only see a smattering of ambers through the loupe, but then then check with the microscope and see loads more, so the old adage of '30% amber' might actually translate to '50% amber' when checked through a microscope?  Who knows?

I try and judge more from the look of the buds first, and then start checking the trichs.  I'd keep a close eye on the trichs over the next week while the buds swell and if she ambers up a lot more then obviously harvest her, but I personally think she'll fatten up enough to make it worth the wait, assuming the environment is right.

Bear in mind, I'm no master and I haven't grown this strain myself, (although I've had consistently good results/yields from the autos I have grown) so feel free to completely disregard my advice!

• Like 5

I have been looking at USB Cameras i notice some are x500 x1000 x1600 magnification . I have a loop & a hand held microscope which is difficult to use but the picture you got of your plants are so much better ,its got to be the best method.

10 minutes ago, billy wizz said:

I have been looking at USB Cameras i notice some are x500 x1000 x1600 magnification . I have a loop & a hand held microscope which is difficult to use but the picture you got of your plants are so much better ,its got to be the best method.

Yeah, I had a 30x loupe and it's tricky to use and doesn't quite magnify enough for me. I picked up a USB microphone/camera for around 15 quid on amazon.  It's much better.    

It works great as long as you put it in a stand to hold it still.  The stand it came with was tiny and a bit useless for checking live plants, so I use a microphone stand/clip that I had laying around anyway, and that works perfectly.

The one downside of the USB microscope - you might find yourself doing a bud wash post harvest when you realize how much hair/dust/general crap is stuck to those resin glands! :blub: 

Shocking!

• Like 1

On 13/03/2021 at 10:36 PM, OneMorePuff said:

If it were me I'd probably give her another 10 - 14 days

Agree, way I look at is they are roughly 1/4 dry matter so your finished product will be about a 1/4 as fat a bud as now, let it fatten more and wait for the hairs to recede and you won't end up disappointed 

• Like 1