Spider Mites (russets) in mid flowering, is there something else than IPM that I could use?

moonharvester

Im wondering if there is something non toxic I can use to control spider mites in late flower and that which would not harm the flower  or diminish the taste something other than IPM since predatory mites are gamble and hard to get from where Im from. Im asking both for greenhouse and indoor (my go to alternative for indoor would be keeping it really clean and in low temps, but Im not sure if it would be enough) Outdoor better said greenhouse is more of a concern for me, Im not sure if oscillating fans would be enough since s.mites are called borg for a reason. I can use D. earth on around the roots and only feed from bottom but Im not sure if it would help anything since those mf are smart as fuck. In the pest I bring home little travelers from africa (bed bugs)  they were pitta to get rid of but diatomaceous earth helped like nothing else. The reason why Im mentioning this is that I found a little bag of shroomie leftovers that got lost behind a cabined, those little critters were in it munching on it. I then realized that those motherfuckers go hard af evolving rapidly :D  tripping on shroom probably plotting their new adventures and tactics :D:D

Forgot to say, I know how painful is to lost plants before harvest because of pest problem. It hurt my heart badly and I stopped growing for many years afterwards. Still Im looking for a solution, I found one for grow but not yet for flowering Im wondering if essential oil blends like those from build a soil can harm the plant in late flower or mess up the actives like thc and cbd

I would really appreciate your help with this

Edited by moonharvester

Phytoseiulus persimilis for mites and Amblyseius andersoni for mites/russet is really your only option. You don't want to be spraying anything late flower but water, which will only deter. D. Earth on the soil base and scrape off between watering is a good shout too :) - Russet is quite rare (before the snip boom)... They are real trouble. Fingers crossed you are just dealing with 2 spot spider mite mate. Andersoni will take down russets, but no real world experience on the effectiveness truly..

Edited by InTheSystem
  • Like 3

Agreed. If I had a penny for every grow with mites halfway through flower, I'd have about 26p. lol 

Your options are limited. You'll be reducing numbers dramatically but you'll never get them all, until you can take all gear from the grow space and clean the place down with peroxide and a few fumers depending on size. Make sure to boil the bungie cords etc before putting these back too, as I have had a mite infestation from a dirty bungie! Clean, then clean again, remember it's your next grow to think about too. :yep:

Here's the options to greatly reduce numbers:

• Pressure spraying with plain water the undersides of leaves. Only effective if you can take the plants outdoors or in a bath.. Do not attempt anything but plain water
  • Litterally wiping each fan leaf with a damp cloth from underneath
  • Mini vacuum I've heard works
  • Predator mites but in my experience not the magic bullet I hoped
  • Removing some larger leafs gets rid of 20% of them
  • Raise the humidity which they hate, although not advisable if you already have dense nugs

Remember next round to give a spray of your choice of SMC, neem spray, SBPI, abermectin or similar type products next time you flip 12/12 to flower. I use neem with good results, it's reapplied 3-4 days later to kill any hatched eggs. There's a concentrated one that I forgot the name of, but it's 250ml for £49 on Amazon, which makes about 500 gallons of spray that kills bugs and eggs on contact. :yep:

Edited by Slippy One
  • Like 2

FWIW Spider mites aren't the same as Russet mites.

It's unclear which you mean ?

With Russets, you get a glossy blistered effect, they look like little whitish maggots.

Spider mites will leave webbing and a spotted damage, and look like little crabs.

I'd confirm what you have first before choosing A IPM.

Edited by BarrySHitPeas
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 8:03 PM, Thai Stick said:

Beauveria Bassiana

is it that magical fungus that kills pests and molds ? is it safe to use it during the flowering ?

On 3/11/2021 at 7:32 PM, BarrySHitPeas said:

FWIW Spider mites aren't the same as Russet mites.

It's unclear which you mean ?

With Russets, you get a glossy blistered effect, they look like little whitish maggots.

Spider mites will leave webbing and a spotted damage, and look like little crabs.

I'd confirm what you have first before choosing A IPM.

On 3/11/2021 at 6:40 PM, Slippy One said:

Agreed. If I had a penny for every grow with mites halfway through flower, I'd have about 26p. lol 

Your options are limited. You'll be reducing numbers dramatically but you'll never get them all, until you can take all gear from the grow space and clean the place down with peroxide and a few fumers depending on size. Make sure to boil the bungie cords etc before putting these back too, as I have had a mite infestation from a dirty bungie! Clean, then clean again, remember it's your next grow to think about too. :yep:

Here's the options to greatly reduce numbers:

• Pressure spraying with plain water the undersides of leaves. Only effective if you can take the plants outdoors or in a bath.. Do not attempt anything but plain water
  • Litterally wiping each fan leaf with a damp cloth from underneath
  • Mini vacuum I've heard works
  • Predator mites but in my experience not the magic bullet I hoped
  • Removing some larger leafs gets rid of 20% of them
  • Raise the humidity which they hate, although not advisable if you already have dense nugs

Remember next round to give a spray of your choice of SMC, neem spray, SBPI, abermectin or similar type products next time you flip 12/12 to flower. I use neem with good results, it's reapplied 3-4 days later to kill any hatched eggs. There's a concentrated one that I forgot the name of, but it's 250ml for £49 on Amazon, which makes about 500 gallons of spray that kills bugs and eggs on contact. :yep:

On 3/11/2021 at 6:15 PM, InTheSystem said:

Phytoseiulus persimilis for mites and Amblyseius andersoni for mites/russet is really your only option. You don't want to be spraying anything late flower but water, which will only deter. D. Earth on the soil base and scrape off between watering is a good shout too :) - Russet is quite rare (before the snip boom)... They are real trouble. Fingers crossed you are just dealing with 2 spot spider mite mate. Andersoni will take down russets, but no real world experience on the effectiveness truly..

my apologies to all of you guys, notifications did not popped so I thought nobody replied, until I checked manually.

Im wondering if humidity and diverse balance outdoors helps to fight of mites naturally. Are they controlled in any kind of form outside/greenhouse? So spraying essential oils in late flower is a no go because of alcohol /oil/ emulsifiers in the solution?

Do any of you have any experience with kind of farming of either hytoseiulus persimilis or Amblyseius andersoni? I read that some people had success with keeping their populations thriving (it involved some kid of leaves that they kept them on ? got to check it out if I will find it)

thank you all for your help and inputs :)

Edited by moonharvester

Food grade h2o2 spray, well diluted.  Never tried it myself but as it breaks down to nothing it should be classed as suitable for organic too. 

Agreed, apart from taste and smell, bud hairs are easily damaged in flower and if that happens development/growth slows to a crawl. Spray at your peril. 

21 hours ago, fatboy77 said:

Food grade h2o2 spray, well diluted.  Never tried it myself but as it breaks down to nothing it should be classed as suitable for organic too. 

you mean like misting it to get up the humidity ? wouldnt ultrasonic mist be better for that?

21 hours ago, Slippy One said:

Agreed, apart from taste and smell, bud hairs are easily damaged in flower and if that happens development/growth slows to a crawl. Spray at your peril. 

how does it get handled by mother nature outside? Im really curious about it, but since earth breathes, humidity changes, weather too maybe that keeps them little creatures in check :D

1 hour ago, moonharvester said:

you mean like misting it to get up the humidity ? wouldnt ultrasonic mist be better for that?

H2o2 may sound like just water but trust me, hydrogen peroxide is strong shit.  Kills fungus and gnats on contact.  Fuck, just because it has one extra oxygen molecule, this shit can bleach your hair! 

2 hours ago, fatboy77 said:

H2o2 may sound like just water but trust me, hydrogen peroxide is strong shit.  Kills fungus and gnats on contact.  Fuck, just because it has one extra oxygen molecule, this shit can bleach your hair! 

damn I was stupid and misread it :D do you mean 3% or 30% hydrogen peroxide, I know the 30% shit is used to clean clay pebbles and also for hair and teeth :D in your experience it killed of even mites?

6 minutes ago, moonharvester said:

damn I was stupid and misread it :D do you mean 3% or 30% hydrogen peroxide, I know the 30% shit is used to clean clay pebbles and also for hair and teeth :D in your experience it killed of even mites?

3% but that needs diluting, about 500ml per 4L for a soil drench iirc, not sure about foliar dilution.  I wouldn't be spraying it on buds though. 

Though about predator mites/beetles? 

3 hours ago, fatboy77 said:

3% but that needs diluting, about 500ml per 4L for a soil drench iirc, not sure about foliar dilution.  I wouldn't be spraying it on buds though. 

Though about predator mites/beetles? 

I used that shit for soil drench but that 3% did not do much, as somebody suggested diatomaceous earth on top would be probably better,  Yes I thought about predatory mites but I would love to get them and somehow farm them, better said keep them alive and well just in case (providing them some kind of food :D  I read somewhere that people did it with success, supplying fresh tomato leaves to them... but that was long time ago)

On 24/03/2021 at 9:44 PM, moonharvester said:

is it that magical fungus that kills pests and molds ? is it safe to use it during the flowering ?

yes bud its a type of special fungus

Can it be used in flower? I really do not know the answer for that, i have not sprayed my plants in flower before, only at the very beginning of flower.