Opinions on new mite problem

BushDoctoR

Hey guys,

I've recently got a batch a of cuts and after a few days in the veg box discovered some mite damage.

I'm a bit torn between what I should do and need the opinions of others before I do anything drastic.

Out of 12 cuts there are only a couple of leaves which show any chew marks, there is some slight webbing on those leaves but only visible under 30x magnifier. I couldn't see any live mites but I had blasted the cuts with SBPI upon receiving them (I do it with all new incoming cuts).

I have SBPI and harkers to hand already, considering that this is still in the very early stages, the plants are tiny and I have both of those products do we think that they can be eradicated? Or is it just not worth the risk? I've got experience fighting the borg in past setups but only from finding them too late when they've taken hold. I feel I could be in with a shot here as its pretty early.

I'm half tempted to bin the lot but at the same time I've waited ages for these and they cost me a fair few quid. I'm also worried that if I bin them they may still be in the room and binning them will be in vain anyway. 

All opinions will be greatly appreciated, I'm doing mental acrobatics right now :headpain:

(Also: yes I'm an idiot for getting cuts of an untrusted source. This I am certain of lol )

BDr

Edited by BushDoctoR
  • Like 1

Your chemicals are the right one's ,but I'm not sure it's worth keeping them when you could start afresh with some seed and disinfect the grow area . 

• Like 1

I would keep spraying with the sbpi and order a huge number of loose spidermite predators to overwhelm them. Stop the sbpi a couple of days before you unleash the predators.

• Like 2

Thanks guys!

After having an absolute mare mentally for the last 24hrs I've decided I'm going to try and kill off the mites I think. Hopefully I don't regret this lol

Starting again by seed would be the most sensible option but I'm far too impatient and stubborn lol Having fought mite infestations years back that were too far gone unsuccessfully, I kind of want to at least once successfully defeat them. I think I have a shot here (fingers crossed)

I've removed all leaves with any sign of damage as those were the only ones I could see eggs under the magnifier. I've also binned one cut completely as it was a poor cut and not worth saving. I've reduced the temps slightly to around 20 (instead of 24c) and will try to raise humidity. The cuts are all spaced out so they are not touching.

Pesticide wise: I'm going to blast them every 2 days with SBPI, and going to hit them weekly with the harkers starting today. I'll be spraying seaweed on alternate days between SBPI applications to keep things hostile. I will also be spraying the surroundings everyday with 70% isopropyl alcohol.

Will continue this regime for 3 weeks and then may move on to preditors as a just-in-case. How long after the harkers can I introduce preds? I know its not fully systemic but it does absorb into the plant somewhat.

Does this plan sound okay? It's been a loooong time since I last fought beasties

BDr

Hi bushdoctor, great namelol every time I’ve had mites I’ve used harkers ivermectin, has a picture of a pigeon on it.

put around 8 -10drops into 500ml of water, sprayed 3 times 3 days apart concentrating on underside of leaves. Has always killed them when used in veg. Make sure the whole area you’ve grown the cuts in is blasted with it too.

eta thanks for your ice hash tutorial, I remember it helping me years ago when I first made some bubble.

Edited by bushdoc
  • Like 4

Haha yes yes bushdoc!

Yeah that's the one I have. Thanks for the dilution rate! Will give them a blast every 3 days instead.

I've read that it doesn't work on contact, it works by poisoning the leaves they munch on so spraying the area might be a waste. I'm going to spray the area with SBPI and alcohol though, both of those work on contact. Might borrow the Mrs new clothes steamer too if she let's me.

I read that ice hash tutorial recently, I'd change so much about it now but now that bubble bags have gotten so cheap it's not worth it anyway. Glad you got some use from it though!

• Like 1

Mite-rid for the win, just a ballache in shipping and taxes unless you get it sent from a friend in the US 

SBPI is a waste of money 

Edited by Dodgee
Remove link
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BushDoctoR said:

Thanks guys!

After having an absolute mare mentally for the last 24hrs I've decided I'm going to try and kill off the mites I think. Hopefully I don't regret this lol

Starting again by seed would be the most sensible option but I'm far too impatient and stubborn lol Having fought mite infestations years back that were too far gone unsuccessfully, I kind of want to at least once successfully defeat them. I think I have a shot here (fingers crossed)

I've removed all leaves with any sign of damage as those were the only ones I could see eggs under the magnifier. I've also binned one cut completely as it was a poor cut and not worth saving. I've reduced the temps slightly to around 20 (instead of 24c) and will try to raise humidity. The cuts are all spaced out so they are not touching.

Pesticide wise: I'm going to blast them every 2 days with SBPI, and going to hit them weekly with the harkers starting today. I'll be spraying seaweed on alternate days between SBPI applications to keep things hostile. I will also be spraying the surroundings everyday with 70% isopropyl alcohol.

Will continue this regime for 3 weeks and then may move on to preditors as a just-in-case. How long after the harkers can I introduce preds? I know its not fully systemic but it does absorb into the plant somewhat.

Does this plan sound okay? It's been a loooong time since I last fought beasties

BDr

Hi mate, I inherited broad mites with some cuts a long time ago. They’re like the apex terminator of mites on steroids dipped in toxic radioactive waste!! The ONLY regime that worked is dr schimmel and verticillium lecanii. Where others have failed and binned them I managed to succeed. Ps also give the clone fairy a huge backhander . Handing out shit 

• Like 1

I had a fight with mites for a few years and finally nailed them on the head with 3 sprays of killermite - I had been using harkers but think the mites i had bred built up an immunity

large.PLANT-VIT-MITE-KILL.jpglarge.PLANT-VIT-MITE-KILL-bottle.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/03/2021 at 8:39 PM, highgrower said:

I had a fight with mites for a few years and finally nailed them on the head with 3 sprays of killermite - I had been using harkers but think the mites i had bred built up an immunity

Sounds good but very pricey, it's a shame they don't do smaller bottles... they brag that a 250mm bottle makes 500L but who needs that much? lol

Anyone know of any cheaper pesticides that contain abamectin? Google is just giving me industrial farm supply and American sites

Will continue with SBPI and harkers for now. Have also found a spray bottle of Bug Clear Ultra I bought last year for the garden. It contains acetamiprid and says it works systemically against spidermites and can be used on veg up to two weeks before harvest. Will give them a couple of blasts of that incase any slip through the net.

As another insult to injury it seems as if the cuts haven't just brought in mites... I've spotted a couple of fungus gnats too. The gift that keeps giving lol 

Peroxide drench next on the list, I hope these genes are worth the effort :headpain:

Edited by BushDoctoR