Compost tea

Flamedodger

Hi all, I’ve got three girls in my flower tent in 15l pots with ecothrive. They were potted up a week ago and if I need to feed them I was thinking about a good nitrogen feed while they’re vegging. Now I’ve been digging about and this is what I have got;

Bat guano (old and needs a bit of bashing up and looks to be rich in phosphorus looking at the tub)

Compost

Molasses (organic fair trade blackstrap)

Worm castings (swept up from local golf club)

Horsetail (Mrs gets from the stable where she rides)

Am I missing something, or do I have enough to go on with. I’m only 20mins from the beach, so could collect some seaweed, should be loads with the wind onshore this week, or

get Mrs to bring home some horse shit.

I’m a total novice, so have no idea about mixing up, ratios etc. and don’t want to burn the girls, so any advice greatfully recieved.

Worm castings and molasses make a very simple tea, you can add extras like the guano, I find you May need to stir more with guano as it tends to sit at the bottom of the bucket. 

Me personally, 4L of water, one handful of worm castings, one tea spoon of molasses, 60ml guano. Anywhere from 20-60ml of insect frass (ecothrive) you’ll struggle to burn with teas, however try not to use them to feed the plants but see it as benefitting an already good grow/bloom nutrient regime  :) 

bubble for a minimum of 24 hours. 

e2a the only guano I have used is guanokalong

Edited by grower951
  • Like 2

Sea weed is very strong so be  careful easy to burn ya girls especially in small pots .. I use eco thrive n brew that with a air stone for 24 hours much easier then messing about mixing teas :smokin:

8 hours ago, syrus420 said:

Sea weed is very strong so be  careful easy to burn ya girls especially in small pots .. I use eco thrive n brew that with a air stone for 24 hours much easier then messing about mixing teas :smokin:

How often you water with eco thrive, mate? 

Looking to give it a try as there are some good reviews about this soil. Thanks

8 hours ago, syrus420 said:

Sea weed is very strong

seaweed is my main amendment and I've never seen a plant burnt by it.....neither dry or in a tea and foliar sparayed......

are you sure there wasn't salt on it?

• Like 2

Thanks all for the input guys :yep:. I topped the girls yesterday and they don’t look at all stressed, but I thought they should get some more love from the soil, so I’ve got a 10l bucket of tea on the brew consisting of;

2 big handfuls of compost

2 cups of bat guano

1 cup of horsetail

2 cups of worm castings

1 cup of charge

1/2 cup seaweed extract

1 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses

Twin bubblers in the bucket. 

I’ll administer some love on Sunday. How long does a tea last?

10 hours ago, Flamedodger said:

2 cups of bat guano

this and....

1 cup of charge

might be a bit hot in just 10l of water and all that other stuff:unsure:

How long does a tea last?

depends what's in it......+ you shouldn't need to leave it if you make the right amount for your soil capacity....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Flamedodger said:

Thanks all for the input guys :yep:. I topped the girls yesterday and they don’t look at all stressed, but I thought they should get some more love from the soil, so I’ve got a 10l bucket of tea on the brew consisting of;

2 big handfuls of compost

2 cups of bat guano

1 cup of horsetail

2 cups of worm castings

1 cup of charge

1/2 cup seaweed extract

1 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses

Twin bubblers in the bucket. 

I’ll administer some love on Sunday. How long does a tea last?

Waaaaay to much for ten litres of water. Presumabky this is only for a couple of plants/1. 

There's enough food for half a run in that lot

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Waaaaay to much for ten litres of water. Presumabky this is only for a couple of plants/1. 

There's enough food for half a run in that lot

Probably should’ve said it’s a small cup that was in the guano. Probably less than a tbsp not like a cuppa mug. I just used it for all the doses, I’ll water it down as well :yep:

On 3/12/2021 at 7:04 AM, buddy13 said:

seaweed is my main amendment and I've never seen a plant burnt by it.....neither dry or in a tea and foliar sparayed......

are you sure there wasn't salt on it?

I use fresh seaweed am not a bottle feeder so yeah it probably has  some salt on it 

• Like 1