How many grows a season

EmmaSalmon66

A newbie question here

I have access to a BIG polytunnel

I can also start plants off indoors

Is it possible to get 2 grows of autos in during our average UK summer. I did one auto and one photo last year, and the auto was done and dusted way before the photo was even starting. I will be growing a mix, but just was wondering if its possible to get 2 grows in, and if anyone has tried it. Im assuming I would aim to germinate a new plant as I see the first auto start to flower?

• Like 1

Why don't you just put out bigger numbers so you can maximise the best months of our so called summer.. :yinyang:

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/03/2021 at 4:33 PM, EmmaSalmon66 said:

A newbie question here

I have access to a BIG polytunnel

I can also start plants off indoors

Is it possible to get 2 grows of autos in during our average UK summer. I did one auto and one photo last year, and the auto was done and dusted way before the photo was even starting. I will be growing a mix, but just was wondering if its possible to get 2 grows in, and if anyone has tried it. Im assuming I would aim to germinate a new plant as I see the first auto start to flower?

I'm down in southern England, 51 latitude so perhaps a bit warmer than "up norf", and managed to get two auto grows in last year. First grow I started in mid-April in the greenhouse, moved them outside beginning of May, and they were finished by the second week in June with no mould issues. The second lot I started a bit later than planned, mid-July, and harvested the ladies between early and mid-October. Had mould issues with the second grow, nothing too bad; less than 20% loss.

This year, I'm planning to start my second bunch a bit earlier so that they're done by the last week in September. Hopefully, that should help avoid any loss to mould.

• Like 1

Actually, correction, just looked at my notes, the first lot I started indoors on a window sill and moved to the greenhouse after a week. Probably a bit cold to start seedlings in the greenhouse, unless you have a heat mat.

Last year I did my first auto grow, started them at the end of April, bringing them inside on cold nights. After a few issues with over and under watering they were ready for harvest around the end of August.  One plant turned out to be a photoperiod (error on the listing I bought from) so triggered flowering via light deprivation. 

This year, I’m getting ready now but have some small grow lights to get them going properly inside ahead of the last frost. I have a glass greenhouse that we can heat (Dyson hot and cool - it’s good for heating when cold and cooling when it’s too hot in there). 

Edited by AutoAberdeen

Some auto's advertise that they can give three harvests, in UK I'd say two as you run out of time....

• Like 1

Sound likes you know the answer to your own question. Crack on and experiment. If you have the beans and space maybe start a couple every two weeks and keep and log of what works and finishes when. By the end of the season you should have discovered your optimum grow window. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Machiavellian said:

Some auto's advertise that they can give three harvests, in UK I'd say two as you run out of time....

It's sort of possible with a greenhouse for the first batch, but you would need to find fairly fast strains for all batches, possibly with each grow slightly overlapping one another. The first and last batches would experience sub-optimal growth due to low temperatures below 20 degrees celcius (even with a greenhouse at the start, unless you could heat it), and the final batch would need to be grown all through October, so have to be extremely mould resistant to stand any chance at not being decimated throughout the damp and cold. So basically, you'd likely have one good crop (the middle one) and two ropey ones, one either side. May as well just stick with two, agreed.

I think a lot of those advertising 3 crops per season must be Spanish breeders.

Edited by Cashmere Moments

I’m aiming for two auto harvests this year. If all goes to plan the three seeds I’m sprouting should be ready to chop at the end of June/Mid July (based on my timings form last year) and will be popping another three in a few weeks to have an August harvest. 

We didn’t have much luck with anything after August last year but I do have a couple of photoperiod seeds left that will probably get going in June to try and be ready when the daylight hours drop to 12/12

Im down south and I can achieve 2 or 3 runs of autos per year , starting them all off indoors.        Normally ran in conjunction with a run of fems.

The polytunnel is a prime location to promote mould near the end of the cycle,   i suggest removing them to fresh air or removing the tunnels sides near completion ,  i have used dehumidifiers, fans and all sorts through the years but within a tunnel i find it a small help but ultimately the dreaded mould still takes hold.  

Genetics play a huge part in the cycle so please do your homework on the girls you decide on.   

All the best with the grow :) 

• Like 1