Winter plants for making tea

MindSoup

Well another occupant of my property decided to take it upon themselves to poor my last 10 gallons of comfrey tea out over the veg patch :furious: without even consulting me, right when I'm totally skint from losing my job. So as you can imagine I'm really pissed off and wondering how I'm going to feed my plants until summer comes. Are there any plants available right now I can make something with comparible to comfrey/horse tail tea? If not I need a fully organic alternative thats as close to free as possible. Honestly I could fucking chop them up and use them as fertiliser right now. 

Luckily cultivated comfrey have some in stock, so I'm out of the woods for a few weeks, hopefully I can get by till summer. Still interested for winter tea ideas mind. 

20 minutes ago, ratdog said:

do you have a compost heap on the go?

No unfortunately not as the lady of the house (who poored away my shit) doesn't like compost heaps because they "attract rats". 

• Like 2

Grow some wolfsbane,then make the bitch a nice salad .Joking aside,not sure if nettles come up before comfrey but either should be available pretty soon,perhaps some black strap molasses would keep your micro herd going until then? Other opinions needed

:hippy:

Gumbo.

• Like 2

Yeah I think I'm gunna be on the prowl for early comfrey and nettle, we do have a lot of horse tail about to come up which is great for vegging (high silica) so that should give my outdoor girls a good start. Hopefully this litre from CC will tide me over for this flowering cycle, they seem to be legit in their paractises. I guess any organic material has its value in a tea, maybe pick all the snow drop flowers for some more P and K lol

Edited by MindSoup

Dandelion should be available, near streams ? Watercress has a similar nutrient make up too. Other plants include chicory, coltsfoot, meadow sweet, nettles, plantain, silverweed and vetches

Source: The Allotment book.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hilbilly hifi said:

Are you near the coast? Seaweed is free 

Bit too far away with the current restrictions in place, but that is hopefully changing soon I think. 

39 minutes ago, porky said:

Dandelion should be available, near streams ? Watercress has a similar nutrient make up too. Other plants include chicory, coltsfoot, meadow sweet, nettles, plantain, silverweed and vetches

Source: The Allotment book.

Thats a lot of options, thanks. I do live close to a stream/river but its running a bit high at the moment. I'll go for a forage tomorrow, see what I can find. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 4:30 PM, MindSoup said:

No unfortunately not as the lady of the house (who poored away my shit) doesn't like compost heaps because they "attract rats". 

Have you heard of Bokashi composting? It's feasible to use the Bokashi bins indoors, no smells etc.

I have been reading a bit about it, does look to be right up my street. May well build/buy a little setup. 

• Like 1