How to increase EC run off

Firstimegrower_420

Hi all.

feeding plants 1.4EC but EC run off is only around 0.6.

The plants look great and getting bigger each day,  but I dont know why the run off is much lower than whats going in. 

I thought it would correct itself over a few feeds but it doesn't seem to be, wondering what the solution might be. 

Is it increase the A&B or increase the watering?  Last time I grew I was soaking the coco and it was more of the opposite with a higher EC run off.

Or is it because its a lower EC run off its not a problem?

Currently in 12L pots, mixing 10L buckets up using 29ml A&B plus 20ml rhizo and 25ml cannazym with calmag to bring waterbase to 0.4 before starting and feed every 2nd day aroumd 3.5L each pot until run off appears 

Advice appreciated. 

Thanks 

Edited by Firstimegrower_420

Is your coco mixed with anything IE pebbles or perlite? Also how much solution is it taking to achieve the run off you're reading?

You could be experiencing a false drain, where the water doesn't soak through the medium properly and kinda runs down channels, but deposits a large portion of the nutrients in the solution into the parts of the medium it has ran through - which isn't great as it means you end up with 'hot', wet and dry patches dotted through your medium.

I'd be tempted to let them sit in the run off for an hour and see if they soak it back up, if they do repeat watering process until they don't and read the run off e.c of whats left in the tray/saucer.

Just a guess anyway

• Like 4

To add to the possibilities: it could be a sign of inproperly or non-buffered coco. Remedy would be to add 0.2ec calmag every feed until it goes back up. I did it three times a day until it was sorted. You want plenty of run off.

• Like 3

@GSZZ thanks for your reply. The mix i use is 70/30 perlite. Ive always had my plants sitting on a wite rack and catch the drain off beneath in the saucers. I decided to lift the saucers and fed the way you recommended earlier and let them sit in the run off water before removing it and EC going in was between 1.4/1.6 bluelab truncheon and out was 0.6/0.8. My root temp has been around 26/27c lights on but ive now removed the oil heater to outside and they're sitting at 22ish now. 

@fatboy thanks for your reply, I'm using the canna pro coco and theyve been in the pots for around 2 weeks now.

@catweazle1 thanks for your reply, I didnt buffer the coco before using. I was under the impression that I didnt need to do that as I used it before and didnt do anything to it. Im using calmag now which I didnt use first time around as I knew no better. My water isn't reading on the bluelab so I use the calmag and put around 3 to 4ml in to start at a base of 0.4EC. 

If it helps heres a photo taken right now, but like I said I think they look OK. Just not sure of rhe impact low EC can cause 

large.Screenshot_20210307-205006_Gallery_copy_971x1244.jpglarge.Screenshot_20210307-205028_Gallery_copy_972x2160.jpglarge.Screenshot_20210307-205108_Gallery_copy_972x1633.jpg

Thanks 

It will correct itself over time and your plants look fine.  If you get deficiencies just up the feed slightly or run a fair amount through the pot till it rises. Your coco is holding some of the nutrients. 

I'd do nothing until I saw hunger personally. 

Lucky you! Rising EC in the run off is constant battle for me

As others have said, they look healthy so just see how they get on. At 3/4 strength you're already putting quite a lot in so I wouldn't increase that unless they start to show signs of hunger.

Edit:

What brand coco are you using?

Edited by BushDoctoR