Green House grow MKII - Diary

Zilla12

Hi All

Looking to embark on my second attempt to grow in my hand built greenhouse. 

My previous attempt late last year had to be cut short due to bud rot and the bud produced doesn't really do a lot besides tasting ok, i think it was chopped about 2/3 weeks too early but i had no choice.

Thread can be found here 

Mistakes

As with any rookie i defo made some mistakes, i think my first mistake was deciding to grow 3 plants at the same time. I think having 3 plants made the Greenhouse far too cramped and in turn created too humid of an environment and the airflow also being poor meant that the plants didn't get enough air. So i've decided i will only grow two plants and keep them as far apart as i realistically can.

As mentioned ventilation was also an issue, i'm going to counter this in two ways 1, keep the door open more and the lid will always be cracked open even if its raining. Secondly i found an old PC fan and i can probably scab another one from work, I think i will fit both to either side of my Greenhouse which will hopefully help pass some fresh air through the house on warmer days. 

Changes 

i'm going to make some alterations to my house, i'm going to also be running a fan in there so hopefully air flow will never be an issue, so if any rot does occur its perhaps genetics? 

Another change i'm looking to make is i'm going to try and LST the plants. I've done a bit of a research and it appears its not as common in outdoor growing but people do grow this way, although i believe it will perhaps slow the grow down a little  (i've read conflicting things) which is fine either way. Another reason for this is to add a little more stealth to the grow which is something i'm quite keen on, i'm fairly covered besides one old couple who have an open patch of bushes right in the eye line of my greenhouse. On the same subject i'm building a mini allotment in the area, growing some veg and flowers out there (i've caught the green fingers bug) So hopefully anyone peeking into my garden wont anything standing out and decide to grass. 

I had mad anxiety when the smell started, i'm pretty sure a few neighbours caught a wiff, i'm growing this to help with anxiety not add too it. My plan to counter this is to grow other smelly plants around it and have some occasionally in the greenhouse with them, i've listed lavender, mint and peppermint so far any suggestions of other decent smell masking flowers would be great. I know this wont mask the small completely but hopefully it'll confuse anyones nose somewhat. 

Growing

I'm not going to change this part up too much, i've still got some seeds from last year so i'll probably grow one Cheese XXL and White Widow CLL both Dinafem. I'm going to grow in the same fabric pods i used previously and i'm going to use the same BioBizz all mix alongside BioBizz nutes and use the BioBizz official chart for the nute schedule. I'm also going to try a monitor my Ph this time and water to 30% run off, all things i didn't bother with or really know about last year. 

I'm thinking to germinate in 2 weeks time, partly to give myself time to set up the new PC fan system, set up the rest of the mini allotment but more importantly let the weather stabilise a little bit.

I really hope this year I can produce some good bud, since my last grow i've had some health issues that at the moment nothing the doctor has supplied me with is working, i would be eligible to get a supply from a medical clinic but its pretty damn expensive, although i am looking to get myself a Cancard in the new few weeks as well but i think growing is the best way for me.

Anyway this post is long enough, any tips, advice or criticisms i'm open to hearing and i'll be sure to start the diary as soon as i place the seeds in water. 

Cheers 

• Like 4

Best of luck with your grow mate. It's always been a dream of mine to be able to grow outside in a greenhouse.
I'll be along for the journey :)

Sending you positive vibes in the hope of a good crop :yinyang:

• Like 2

On 25/02/2021 at 10:50 PM, SkyRider said:

Best of luck with your grow mate. It's always been a dream of mine to be able to grow outside in a greenhouse.
I'll be along for the journey :)

Sending you positive vibes in the hope of a good crop :yinyang:

Cheers bud! I'm excited to take my growing to another level this time around. 

Gonna get my bits together in the next few weeks ready for the grow to start. 

• Like 1

On 25/02/2021 at 10:16 PM, Zilla12 said:

I'm thinking to germinate in 2 weeks time,

Hey dude.. you may want to hang fire on that.. its a bit early imo..id be germing tail end of April with a view for an early mid May plant out.. 

i'm going to use the same BioBizz all mix alongside BioBizz nutes and use the BioBizz official chart for the nute schedule

It may be better to get biobizz light mix.. the all mix can be a be hot for young seedlings as its fairly loaded, if using that no need to feed for the first few weeks.. light mix gives you a bit more control and is deffo better suited for getting started.  You can just feed once your girls show there hungry this way..

, i've still got some seeds from last year so i'll probably grow one Cheese XXL and White Widow CLL both Dinafem

If your worried about the smell you may want to consider something with a low odour.. not sure about the ww but cheese is certainly very pungent.. well hope it goes better for you this time around, there is no better way to learn than from your own mistakes.. good luck dude :yep:

• Like 1

@Zilla12  Had a look through last years mate and i would say your problems come from ventilation and not enough air for the plants.

The reason i say this is i had the same problem for a few years running with a pallet greenhouse i made a few years ago just couldn't get enough air in there.

I built a coldframe for this year (have a look in garden section dunno how to do links lol ) waiting on some things to finish it.

But i am not making the same mistake this time i'm trying to work out a vent system involving a solar panel a battery 4 125mm pc fans and 2 pc fan controllers as i have no power where the box is.

What im saying is give em as much air as poss to try and stop the rot.

• Like 1

On 28/02/2021 at 2:03 AM, Revive said:

Hey dude.. you may want to hang fire on that.. its a bit early imo..id be germing tail end of April with a view for an early mid May plant out.. 

It may be better to get biobizz light mix.. the all mix can be a be hot for young seedlings as its fairly loaded, if using that no need to feed for the first few weeks.. light mix gives you a bit more control and is deffo better suited for getting started.  You can just feed once your girls show there hungry this way..

If your worried about the smell you may want to consider something with a low odour.. not sure about the ww but cheese is certainly very pungent.. well hope it goes better for you this time around, there is no better way to learn than from your own mistakes.. good luck dude :yep:

Urgh i think i got ahead of myself with the nice weather, its gone back to cold and rubbish again so i think you're right, i'll hold off. Gives me chance to get all my veggies going though i suppose. 

I grew with the allmix last time around but i normally germinate in a jiffy plug beforehand and i don't think it gave me any issues last time around. 

I never considered there to be low odour variants i'll be checking that out for sure, could be the way forward for me, thanks for the heads up great shout that!! :yep:

• Like 1

On 28/02/2021 at 8:38 AM, murphyblue said:

@Zilla12  Had a look through last years mate and i would say your problems come from ventilation and not enough air for the plants.

The reason i say this is i had the same problem for a few years running with a pallet greenhouse i made a few years ago just couldn't get enough air in there.

I built a coldframe for this year (have a look in garden section dunno how to do links lol ) waiting on some things to finish it.

But i am not making the same mistake this time i'm trying to work out a vent system involving a solar panel a battery 4 125mm pc fans and 2 pc fan controllers as i have no power where the box is.

What im saying is give em as much air as poss to try and stop the rot.

Yep it was defiantly ventilation. Part fo the learning process for us i suppose, i'm still wanting to go with my green house which is why i'm planning to make adjustments to allow more air to the plants. 

Your coldframe looks great, i'll defo be looking out for how successful you are with it. 

Let me know what you do with the Solar Panel, i was just going to plug mine in from an extension but now you've mentioned solar that might be perfect, i'm hoping to run two PC fans either side and a fan inside, i've just gotta try and swipe another old PC fan from work :skull: but yeah solar would save me a good chunk of electric which would be bloody perfect. 

Thanks for the suggestions dude. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zilla12 said:

Urgh i think i got ahead of myself with the nice weather, its gone back to cold and rubbish again so i think you're right, i'll hold off. Gives me chance to get all my veggies going though i suppose. 

I grew with the allmix last time around but i normally germinate in a jiffy plug beforehand and i don't think it gave me any issues last time around. 

I never considered there to be low odour variants i'll be checking that out for sure, could be the way forward for me, thanks for the heads up great shout that!! :yep:

Cool bro no problem :yep:

if using all mix just dont throw any nutes in there till your plants start to show signs of hunger.. prob after 3/4 weeks.. it can be a bit hot so that was why I suggested light mix for more control.. you dont want to be fighting against any early issues with plant health..

Yeah maybe start a thread on low odour strains for outdoors, I'm sure you will get some feedback with strain selection.. it can get you a bit parra when its chucking up all over the gaff so that may give you some peace of mind..

Have fun dude and may the ganja gods reward you for your hard work.. peace :yinyang:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Revive said:

Cool bro no problem :yep:

if using all mix just dont throw any nutes in there till your plants start to show signs of hunger.. prob after 3/4 weeks.. it can be a bit hot so that was why I suggested light mix for more control.. you dont want to be fighting against any early issues with plant health..

Yeah maybe start a thread on low odour strains for outdoors, I'm sure you will get some feedback with strain selection.. it can get you a bit parra when its chucking up all over the gaff so that may give you some peace of mind..

Have fun dude and may the ganja gods reward you for your hard work.. peace :yinyang:

Thanks for the advice i'll be sure to hold off before throwing anything at it, i take it root juice will still be bad? 

I think i'm going to go for Auto Jack Herer seeds from Fast Buds, i've spent an hour or so researching and in terms of what i want strain wise, outdoor growing ability and seem to be on the low odour list. I think the Para is more because one neighbour as sound as he is is also an ex copper who got very high up in his force, he knows i'm suffering with chronic illness now and i'm pretty sure he knows i smoke but better safe than sorry you know. I'm gonna surround it with other smelly plants and hopefully it'll mask or blend any smells but last year stank something rotten but i did have 3 plants on the go and shite ventilation so fingers crossed. 

Again great advice, thanks. 

Edited by Zilla12
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zilla12 said:

Thanks for the advice i'll be sure to hold off before throwing anything at it, i take it root juice will still be bad? 

I think i'm going to go for Auto Jack Herer seeds from Fast Buds, i've spent an hour or so researching and in terms of what i want strain wise, outdoor growing ability and seem to be on the low odour list. I think the Para is more because one neighbour as sound as he is is also an ex copper who got very high up in his force, he knows i'm suffering with chronic illness now and i'm pretty sure he knows i smoke but better safe than sorry you know. I'm gonna surround it with other smelly plants and hopefully it'll mask or blend any smells but last year stank something rotten but i did have 3 plants on the go and shite ventilation so fingers crossed. 

Again great advice, thanks. 

Always a pleasure dude.. well I always feel being parra keeps you safe, sadly its a lil uncomfortable lol.. yeah good shout on the masking the  smell with other plants.. lavender, mint, honeysuckle and lemon balm mandarina are some that might be good.. JH is a lovely smoke although never had the auto version.. shame you got an ex twat living next door to you.. I no what it's like i have 1 too but he isn't an ex twat but a fuking full blown 1.. so even in freezing conditions I have to sit on the balcony to self medicate,  fuking grim bro.. look all the best with everything man im sure you will be all good.. hope you get some relief from that pain sometime very soon.. take care bud and keep it green.. peace :yinyang:

Edited by Revive
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Zilla12 said:

Yep it was defiantly ventilation. Part fo the learning process for us i suppose, i'm still wanting to go with my green house which is why i'm planning to make adjustments to allow more air to the plants. 

Your coldframe looks great, i'll defo be looking out for how successful you are with it. 

Let me know what you do with the Solar Panel, i was just going to plug mine in from an extension but now you've mentioned solar that might be perfect, i'm hoping to run two PC fans either side and a fan inside, i've just gotta try and swipe another old PC fan from work :skull: but yeah solar would save me a good chunk of electric which would be bloody perfect. 

Thanks for the suggestions dude. 

I just pulled the trigger on the river site and ordered a 10w 12v solar panel with the controller and leads a 12v rechargeable battery a small pc fan temp controller for the intake fan and 2 120mm artic pc fans they are cheap at just over a fiver each and ive used them before they are quiet and shift a good bit of air anyway the whole lot came in at under £80.

I will post a few updates in my garden thread as my cold frame experiment is mainly for peppers and chillies but u never now what might get hidden away in the corner. lol

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, murphyblue said:

I just pulled the trigger on the river site and ordered a 10w 12v solar panel with the controller and leads a 12v rechargeable battery a small pc fan temp controller for the intake fan and 2 120mm artic pc fans they are cheap at just over a fiver each and ive used them before they are quiet and shift a good bit of air anyway the whole lot came in at under £80.

I will post a few updates in my garden thread as my cold frame experiment is mainly for peppers and chillies but u never now what might get hidden away in the corner. lol

Let me know how you get on with that. I've been looking at some solar panels on amazon, i figured 10w would be enough but i think the main expense will be the battery. I'm mixed on if it'd be worth the cost for me or not. I'll keep looking and hopefully come up with a solution as air flow is the main issue here, i also spied some decent sized intake fans in some scrap at my work reckon on a quiet day i'll tackle them with a screw driver and no one will ever know!! 

I'll keep an eye out for your cold frame build it would be something i'd like in my garden but the area where my mini allotment is gonna be is all patio sadly. 

• Like 1

Mate if u can run an extension do it your options will be way better you could add a heater for starters.

My set up is hopefully a solution because i have no option to run a cable its at the bottom of garden.

The one thing i have in my favour is its a south facing garden and i plan to mount the solar panel just behind the frame it will get sun all day.

PC fans are so easy to wire up to a charger and whisper quiet  and probably way more reliable than small oscillating fans and cheap as chips in a small set up they are perfect scuse the pun but i am a big fan. lol

Come to think of it if u could get power to your box i would stick a cheap fox 4"carbon filter about £20 i think and a cheap inline duct fan combined with a couple of 120mm pc fans hooked upto a charger for intake i reckon £70/£80 and your box will be good to go for the summer and for the sake of a few quid cut down on odours.

If your unsure about wiring up pc fans to a charger there's plenty of tutorials about or you might want to look at the ac infinity cooling pc fans been looking at them because of their low noise rating for my indoor box im building they are usb or come with a charger for ease of use and also a speed controller on river site.

Good luck this year and hope u stay mold free.

• Like 2

On 01/03/2021 at 5:36 PM, murphyblue said:

Mate if u can run an extension do it your options will be way better you could add a heater for starters.

My set up is hopefully a solution because i have no option to run a cable its at the bottom of garden.

The one thing i have in my favour is its a south facing garden and i plan to mount the solar panel just behind the frame it will get sun all day.

PC fans are so easy to wire up to a charger and whisper quiet  and probably way more reliable than small oscillating fans and cheap as chips in a small set up they are perfect scuse the pun but i am a big fan. lol

Come to think of it if u could get power to your box i would stick a cheap fox 4"carbon filter about £20 i think and a cheap inline duct fan combined with a couple of 120mm pc fans hooked upto a charger for intake i reckon £70/£80 and your box will be good to go for the summer and for the sake of a few quid cut down on odours.

If your unsure about wiring up pc fans to a charger there's plenty of tutorials about or you might want to look at the ac infinity cooling pc fans been looking at them because of their low noise rating for my indoor box im building they are usb or come with a charger for ease of use and also a speed controller on river site.

Good luck this year and hope u stay mold free.

Great now you've got me looking at carbon filters :rofl:

Yeah i've already wired on of the pc fans to a charger was easy enough thankfully. I think i'm gonna weigh up my options and see what the best bet is. New seeds should arrive in a few days but i'm going to hold off a little longer before starting up as the weather is still iffy i'd say. 

• Like 1

@Zilla12 for what it’s worth Basil would be a good addition to counter smells, easy to grow and is also a great companion plant for cannabis as it attracts the beneficial bugs and deters the nasties. 

atb 

• Like 1