Help Needed - First Photoperiod Grow - Psychosis BX2 Pheno Hunt

OneMorePuff

2 hours ago, Whatwentwrong said:

Don't forget they are regs. 

If you can keep a dad that smells good try and make seeds. 

I'll be killing the males I'm afraid.  Making seeds is the opposite of my goal here, I just want to find that one smoke that I love and keep growing by cloning the mum.  I'm sick of rolling the dice growing the seed.  

I also want to keep the total number of plants to a minimum, so breeding is not on the agenda for me.

• Like 2
On 22/02/2021 at 9:28 AM, OneMorePuff said:

Understood :yep:

Mini clone/mum box it is then I guess.  What do you think is the minimum size box I can get away with and have room for a bonsai mum and 10-20 clones?  Proper vegging would be done in the main tent.

Basically what I'm doing too. I just hang a 125W CFL lamp with a reflector off a pair of step ladders in my spare room for seedlings/early vegging (lights on 6am off midnight, nothing wierd about that) then when potted up to final pots they go into the light tight main room for further vegging and flowering. I am considering buying/building a small tent/box though for the spare bedroom.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, OneMorePuff said:

I'll be killing the males I'm afraid.  Making seeds is the opposite of my goal here, I just want to find that one smoke that I love and keep growing by cloning the mum.  I'm sick of rolling the dice growing the seed.  

I also want to keep the total number of plants to a minimum, so breeding is not on the agenda for me.

Sorry man, it was only because you were asking if you had enough seeds for a pheno hunt. You know in a perfect world with unlimited money and no chance of being arrested you could have 100s of seeds from more varieties to find your one keeper. 

As you only have ten seeds at the minute if you didn't quite find a mum you liked but a couple that were close and bred them with the best male, you could expand your hunt for a better keeper. Just another 2-3 seeds a time keeping the best one each grow as a mum and grow some clones along side the new beans until you find your one. 

Edited by Whatwentwrong
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Whatwentwrong said:

Sorry man, it was only because you were asking if you had enough seeds for a pheno hunt. You know in a perfect world with unlimited money and no chance of being arrested you could have 100s of seeds from more varieties to find your one keeper. 

As you only have ten seeds at the minute if you didn't quite find a mum you liked but a couple that were close and bred them with the best male, you could expand your hunt for a better keeper. Just another 2-3 seeds a time keeping the best one each grow as a mum and grow some clones along side the new beans until you find your one. 

No I get it, I'm sure there are plenty who would wince at the thought of me killing off those beautiful psycho males with all their breeding potential.  Like you say, if the law wasn't an issue then it would 100% be a good idea to keep the smelliest one to one side, but there we go.  

As it is I don't even think I'll be taking clones until preflowers show. so that I can cull the males first and then only clone the females, thus avoiding having 10 plants plus 10-20 clones all under one roof. I'm also planning on running a fairly short veg time, 4 weeks max, so I expect I won't be able to identify sex until after the flip, which I know isn't necessarily the ideal time to be taking cuts, but there we go. I'll be taking one clone from each female once I can identify sex. If any don't root I'll try and take another, if that doesn't root I'll try and reveg the original plant as a last resort.  There's a grow diary on here that shows someone revegged a Pyscho BX2 mum into a monster scrog plant very successfully.

Trust me I'm so tempted to run all 10 BX2 and all 10 from the lucky dip pack, take multiple clones of each and pheno hunt through all 20 for a mum, but I'm restraining myself. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, OneMorePuff said:

No I get it, I'm sure there are plenty who would wince at the thought of me killing off those beautiful psycho males with all their breeding potential.  Like you say, if the law wasn't an issue then it would 100% be a good idea to keep the smelliest one to one side, but there we go.  

As it is I don't even think I'll be taking clones until preflowers show. so that I can cull the males first and then only clone the females, thus avoiding having 10 plants plus 10-20 clones all under one roof. I'm also planning on running a fairly short veg time, 4 weeks max, so I expect I won't be able to identify sex until after the flip, which I know isn't necessarily the ideal time to be taking cuts, but there we go. I'll be taking one clone from each female once I can identify sex. If any don't root I'll try and take another, if that doesn't root I'll try and reveg the original plant as a last resort.  There's a grow diary on here that shows someone revegged a Pyscho BX2 mum into a monster scrog plant very successfully.

Trust me I'm so tempted to run all 10 BX2 and all 10 from the lucky dip pack, take multiple clones of each and pheno hunt through all 20 for a mum, but I'm restraining myself. 

I hear you mate

Also 4 weeks should be plenty to see preflowers. 

Edited by Whatwentwrong