Splinter V2 - latest vape disappointment

Absurdist

I was very excited about the Splinter V2 when I got it, but a few months down there line it has seen relatively little use and I have now ordered a Crafty +.

I'm surprised that such a well regarded vape doesn't do it for me. Here are my issues. I've been using power mode with a gen3 wismec running sur_myevic, usually at 25 - 30 Watts.

1. The size of the thing. It's ridiculously long, especially with the cooling mouthpiece. This makes it unsuitable for using out and about, as the fragile mouthpiece needs transported separately. Even in the house it's problematically tall and unstable.

2. It takes a while to get going, don't really get good vapour until it starts to feel warm on the outside. It is not a true on demand like the Grasshopper.

3. Turning the mouthpiece between hits to avoid hot spots is tiresome.

4. While the vapour production is pretty meaty once it gets going, it gets harsh after a few hits and I often cough.

I am thinking of selling it on eBay, has anyone done similar? If so, what do they go for second hand?

Absurdist's Vape history in order of greatest disappointment.

1. Splinter V2 for the reasons listed above

2. Grasshopper for reliability, battery life and fiddly loading

3. Wispr 2. This vape didn't really disappoint at all, it's just that butane vapes are noisy and the silicone mouthpiece started to deteriorate a bit. Might dig it out again!

4. Sapphire. Still in use and no complaints. Cheap as chips, small, discrete, simple operation, easy loading, no coughing.

So it seems that the most expensive vapes are the most disappointing for me.

• Like 4

I found it lacking too - no chance of a deep, full and satisfying extraction. I use mine on 42W but you have to get the timing right to not combust.

I hate having to tip out the load from the basket screen for stirring. Apparently the V1 heats up a lot quicker and is more 'on demand' but I wasn't about to go for another RBT product. 

Outshines all over vapes on flavour for me tho so I keep it just for detailed tasting. 

My only two vapes that get regular use are the Flowerpot and Dynavap. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, SYZYGY said:

Outshines all over vapes on flavour for me tho so I keep it just for detailed tasting. 

Perhaps i should do similar. 

I'm just hoping that the Crafty+ doesn't lead to a similar disappointment.

I never find joints disappointing, they are so simple and effective, but not at all discrete and not the healthiest option.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Absurdist said:

I never find joints disappointing, they are so simple and effective

lol and no cleaning required either. If it wasn't for gum disease I'd be ever blazing. The Dynavap is only thing for me that comes close to joint-style satisfaction. 

Hope the Crafty+ does the job for you :yep: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SYZYGY said:

. If it wasn't for gum disease I'd be ever blazing.

Do you find smoking pure is bad for your gums?

Mine were in a right state a few years ago but have got them sorted now, and chuffing joints doesn't seem to affect them.

10 minutes ago, SYZYGY said:

The Dynavap is only thing for me that comes close to joint-style satisfaction. 

I’m a steadfast Mighty fan here but have to agree with you on that. ^^^^
Recently had one as a gift from son. He said I ‘needed’ one.

Turns out he was right. :yep:
Dynavaps get you very high indeed. :hippy:Who’d a thought something so small and simple would get you that sky high.

Edited by bartman
  • Like 7

Just now, Absurdist said:

Do you find smoking pure is bad for your gums?

Chronic stress and grinding my teeth in the night are causing my gum issues; smoking anything when they're bad is quite painful and seems to make it worse. What was the key to sorting yours out, if you don't mind me asking?

34 minutes ago, SYZYGY said:

What was the key to sorting yours out, if you don't mind me asking?

I was using inter dental brushes and mouthwash  and they seemed ok until the hygienist made them bleed.

Then a particularly switched on hygienist got me to take an antibiotic before she cleaned my teeth. Gums haven't bled since, despite loads of pure joints!

• Like 1

Agree with everything's said about the Dynavap. Efficient, and gives you that smoking gesture which helps not to go back to joints. I'm using mine with a glass stem for better flavour. My Solo II is gathering dust since I have this little bastard. As efficient with half or less the dose...

FWIW, tested an IH but sent it back. Torch is better for me.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, purepotstill said:

Agree with everything's said about the Dynavap. Efficient, and gives you that smoking gesture which helps not to go back to joints. I'm using mine with a glass stem for better flavour. My Solo II is gathering dust since I have this little bastard. As efficient with half or less the dose...

FWIW, tested an IH but sent it back. Torch is better for me.

I'm intrigued. What components do I need to get with the basic device for the best experience?

@catweazle1Well, a simple VapCap is enough, but if you want the glass stem, you'd better just buy a cap (the clicky part), a tip (the piece containing the bowl) and a glass stem separately.

There's a bunch of choice, but I prefer non captive cap and Titanium tip. About the stem, mine is similar to the 3D Hula on Vapefiend. I'd choose 75mm over 60 for better cooling. I see they sell some 150mm glass stem which I'd like to try !

Ah, and don't forget to buy a quality torch !

Edited by purepotstill
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, mr rhino said:

I have owned most of the top vapes but i always go back to the Dynavap.

A lot of people seem to say that.

I have tried a mate's and found the vapour very good, but the overall operation was a bit faffy. Perhaps that improves with practise.