Roots!

Shaylocer

Hi,

Just would like some opinions or signposted to some research regarding final pots and roots. I've just found conflicting things regarding final pot size and whether the pot must be "rooted out" before flipping to 12/12. On my first proper grow I had read alot suggestions advising to put the girls into their final pot and wait approx 2 weeks before flipping; I assumed it was to allow the plants to get used to their new pot and allowing space to continue rooting throughout bloom. However, during my journey, I've read alot more and have read "should be rooted out before flip" "plants stop rooting after approx two weeks of bloom" etc etc. I stopped using root enhancer after maybe week 2/3 of bloom but I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not either considering it says it can be used throughout the whole bloom (further leading to my confusion of when do plants stop rooting!!!!)

Help a newb out !!! 

Tbh mate, I don't think it's as complicated as that, the method I use is:  2 weeks from seed in net pots, seedling then goes into first pots, pot up to second when there are 3 nodes, pot to final when 6-7 nodes.

@Caly why do you pot up by node development? Thanks 

I've always just given em a lift out the pots and check the roots visually looking at health and root ball  development. 

• Like 3

Roots continue to grow actively during stretch, but slow right down after that point. So yes some root booster for that bit is good, but after that your just wasting it really.

The advice you've had is right. Put in finals and let them root it out before flipping. This lets the roots use every bit of compost available in the pot.

I don't do it by nodes, I don't know why you would..  Irrelevant soon as you start topping tbh...

Edited by Greenls
  • Like 4

You may find that when rooting out the final pot fully once in flower it needs feeding every couple of days. I've got a couple of 15 ltrs in at the minute, both of them take feed every couple of days same as the 6's. Of course plant size is relative. 

I wouldn't use rootstimbafter 2 weeks in flower... Or in flower at all but each to their own 

13 minutes ago, Greenthumbgardener said:

@Caly why do you pot up by node development? Thanks 

I've always just given em a lift out the pots and check the roots visually looking at health and root ball  development. 

This is the guide I’ve always followed from a well known website I use. It’s always worked well for me and the roots when potting up are always developed really well.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Greenls said:

Roots continue to grow actively during stretch, but slow right down after that point. So yes some root booster for that bit is good, but after that your just wasting it really.

The advice you've had is right. Put in finals and let them root it out before flipping. This lets the roots use every bit of compost available in the pot.

I don't do it by nodes, I don't know why you would..  Irrelevant soon as you start topping tbh...

Assuming one tops... 

• Like 1