50gallon bed, living soil

walnutpolecat

Hi all just setting up my 1.2sq attic tent. 

Gonna be doing living soil and was wondering if the pots size will be good. 

Was thinking single 50 gallon fabric pot off ebay.  Dimensions are 90cm round pot and 30cm deep.   

Is it gonna be deep enough for living soil is my question? 

Being an 1.8m high attic tent I don't have much head room. I'm my head all dimensions seems good. I always Lst. And running hlg 260 x2. 

Peace

hello mate, that's going to be a hell of a lot of weight in one spot, especially when watered, and how are you going to keep it warm in winter?

• Like 2

Never though about the weight but shouldn't be an issue I hope. 

Tents in a insulated shed and will have a heater running constantly in the winter attached to enviro controller. 

• Like 1

Just now, walnutpolecat said:

Never though about the weight but shouldn't be an issue I hope. 

Tents in a insulated shed and will have a heater running constantly in the winter attached to enviro controller. 

ah, so an attic tent in the shed? i assumed you meant an attic tent in an attic ;)

you will need underfloor heating to keep that warm in a shed i would expect, it will take days of direct heat to warm up if left to go even mildly cool/cold

my heat mat went off the other day, took 5 hours to heat back up from 16o to the usual 21.5 and that's only 7.5ltr pots

you will need to be training and topping like a mad thing to keep it under control in such a huge pot, but i bet it's doable.

• Like 2

I'm sure 12" is the recommended minimum but then your going to need a couple of inches for mulch so I personally would try and find a taller one. The square raised beds tend to be a couple inches taller then the round ones for some reason.

• Like 1

Yeah sorry confusing but I can only fit in 1.8 high tents with full 50mm insulation covering all surfaces from floor to ceiling. 

Just checked soil temp and 18c atm.  No issues other than lovely big buds.  Room is 26c.  Not sure if the difference is an issue for living soil, surely 18c should be OK, if that's what's working now in 3 gals? 

Yeah my thoughts only from seeing other living soil beds being slightly taller,  but head height is also something to consider.   I was gonna chicken wire the sides for stability, could over fill with mulch held in by the wire? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, walnutpolecat said:

surely 18c should be OK

you are on the absolute minimum mate, no wiggle room at all, i prefer 21 myself.

• Like 2

I'd get the biggest one that fits in your floor space but then not necessarily fill it up if head room is a problem,,,,

a friend is growing in a similar space but much shorter and as ratty says it just involves more training, which is actually fun when you get over being scared:thumsup:

re temps, a bigger volume of soil should hold more heat than your current 3 gallon pots so shouldn't be a problem if your air temps are 26:yep:

good luck dude:lucky:

• Like 4

Cheers buddy and rat,  had a chat with ecothrive and they reckon it'll be fine.   

Iv always trained like Bill ward from utube, some say he copied me lol.  

Just organising all the bits I need, bit of pain as I'm doubling all my gear for room 2.  

Wish me luck as I did living soil 4 years ago with good success but all the bugs freaked me out.  Bit more experience and research now so fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

I'd definitely recommend going for the deeper pots. Mine are ~40cm tall in a 1.8m attic tent, and I wouldn't want them any shorter.

Good luck with everything :hippy:

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 7:15 PM, ratdog said:

ecothrive atm and i'm having issues

what kind dude?

seems a few people have had/ are having issues with that soil.....think its very dependant on the batch you get + its only meant as a shortcut to living soil but some compromises have been made for sure:yep:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buddy13 said:

what kind dude?

seems a few people have had/ are having issues with that soil.....think its very dependant on the batch you get + its only meant as a shortcut to living soil but some compromises have been made for sure:yep:

the plant is in my auto cheese diary mate, it looks shite, i was led to believe you could use it as a start to finish soil? maybe i read it wrong but i have just chopped it now any way, she had a while to recover after a bit of a feed and decided not to lol so she's in the compost bin now!

no more autos for me! i'm glad really as it was just an experiment and i want to crack some sunshine daydream, smotties and some others, probably killer skunk. will sort that after breakfast!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

That's a shame mate I have a huge fondness for autos.  U do get a dud here and there but I think there are huge benefits. 

As for living soil I would always plant first into something light then transplant to living Soil.   Oh well hope u get on better next run