Root rot preventative measures

Hashleyz

I'm useing silver bullet. It's going in at 12ml per 20l for established plants and 8ml per 20l for young ones I just upped the dose when I flicked them. My res temps are at 20c atm and looking to get a chiller sorted after this run if needed.. and so for so good no bad smells and IV not had any problems that I know of but this is my first run in dwc. 

Head over to my grow diary.. I'm back first dwc grow.. in the grow diary section if u Wana see the roots. You can shock them with a dose of 8ml per 10l for 5 days then back to 6ml per 10l and it apparently kills it off but the best cure is preventing it from the start IMO..

Haze

• Like 1

if your res temps are under 22 you dont need any of this stuff imho. 

ive used silver bullet-not impressed, still got root rot

h2o2-not impressed, still got rot.

TNC Mychorr hydro- as above.

im going back to using nothing, i only got issues when i started using bennies

• Like 2

1 hour ago, badbillybob said:

if your res temps are under 22 you dont need any of this stuff imho. 

ive used silver bullet-not impressed, still got root rot

h2o2-not impressed, still got rot.

TNC Mychorr hydro- as above.

im going back to using nothing, i only got issues when i started using bennies

The temp is the inescapeable  fundamental issue, I think, that only a chiller can sort. When I do dwc again, it will be first on my shopping list. The reality is that 22c+ means insufficient dissolved oxygen capacity and that means rot. It's quite a narrow temp tightrope really to maintain.

Edited by catweazle1

While a chiller is ideal for keeping temps in range and it's preferable to have one, there is another way.

Temps 18c - 22c is the ideal but what if you have no chiller and there's a sudden hot spell?

It's all to do with oxygen in the root zone, not necessarily in the nute solution itself but the amount of roots exposed to the air.

More roots out of the nutes = more oxygen getting to the zone so I leave a massive gap, sometimes with the roots only just getting their feet wet.

Works for me...:yep:

• Like 4

the temps can also be above 22 if you have suitable and sufficient water movement. (but i dont want to confuse the issue or muddy the waters here)

Heath  (RDWC pioneer and all round hydro god) used to run higher temps , never used a chiller, and never got root issues but because he had a faster turnover of water, and used bennies the DO levels were kept sufficiently high to not create any problems, or opportunity for "bad " bacterial growth.

i should also add that bacteria will be present even if a chiller is used, but the chiller will lower the risk of bacteria, such as pythium or algae getting a foothold in the root zone. 

i personally would rather run a sterile system, but i dont have a UV clarifier/ filter, am not using RO etc its not really possible, so i just have to keep the temps low with the chiller, add aereation and hope thet the beneficials stay beneficial, and dont become non beneficial. 

i should really treat myself to a UV filter, but im tight, and up till recently didnt have any root rot issues.

the last year has changed all that though  :(

the uv filter would also work much better in a true undercurrent system, because thats the only way you could be sure the entire system was filtered, by putting it through the uv filer on its return to the res.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

The temp is the inescapeable  fundamental issue, I think, that only a chiller can sort. When I do dwc again, it will be first on my shopping list. The reality is that 22c+ means insufficient dissolved oxygen capacity and that means rot. It's quite a narrow temp tightrope really to maintain.

Its a narrower tight rope than that tbf once you start to factor in salinity levels, DO holding capabilities of the solution are different to neat water..... I drop my chiller temps as I increase my feed. 

:yep:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, badbillybob said:

i should really treat myself to a UV filter, but im tight, and up till recently didnt have any root rot issues.

the last year has changed all that though  :(

the uv filter would also work much better in a true undercurrent system, because thats the only way you could be sure the entire system was filtered, by putting it through the uv filer on its return to the res.

I looked at modular growth at his tank bomb...great idea.....problem tho..... I would need 10 lol..... not gonna happen in one oxypot header.

• Like 1

Silver bullet caused me nothing but problems, since I’ve stopped using it everythings gone fine. Insulation around my reservoirs have been the best few hours spent so far, I literally have a small hole letting the stem poke through, air pump outside of the tent. Had temps upto 30c in the tent but never above 22c in the tanks. 

you looked at marine tank uv sterilisers @zen-ken? Should be pretty easy to tee off with a small pump so you’d only need one unit. Just an idea

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hashleyz said:

Silver bullet caused me nothing but problems, since I’ve stopped using it everythings gone fine. Insulation around my reservoirs have been the best few hours spent so far, I literally have a small hole letting the stem poke through, air pump outside of the tent. Had temps upto 30c in the tent but never above 22c in the tanks. 

you looked at marine tank uv sterilisers @zen-ken? Should be pretty easy to tee off with a small pump so you’d only need one unit. Just an idea

And a very good one tbf.  :idea:

The newa 4500 screams water through my system, through the chiller and back......but on a quick read, the aquatics shop I get my pumps from has some units that would still have the sterilisation  effect even at this flow rate.

Maybe just hand feed bennies into the root zone if I did this ? would save dollar in the long run

food for thought.

:skin_up:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zen-ken said:

And a very good one tbf.  :idea:

The newa 4500 screams water through my system, through the chiller and back......but on a quick read, the aquatics shop I get my pumps from has some units that would still have the sterilisation  effect even at this flow rate.

Maybe just hand feed bennies into the root zone if I did this ? would save dollar in the long run

food for thought.

:skin_up:

I know UV requires quite a slow flow to get the maximum sterilisation effect.

You mean run UV and add bennies to the res? UV would blast anything living in the water. My only concern would be a big increase in dissolved organics, unless the nitrification process turned it into free food for the plants. I know how it works in a marine tank but not sure about in fresh water bubblers

Edited by Hashleyz
  • Like 1