Swapping from coco to full hydro

Tommytopper

Hi guys I’m very tempted to make the jump from coco to full hydro probably nft as this looks to be the simplest method 

are the growth rates better so shorter veg cycles? 

looking for a 4/5 plant system to run in a 5x5 1000w room 

any tips, advice, recommendations most welcomed 

thanks 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tommytopper said:

probably nft as this looks to be the simplest method 

NFT can be tricky bud, I could never get on with it but others swear it's the best system.

I've tried most hydro and would recommend you go for either DWC, Flood and Drain or Drippers.Growth rates are faster in both veg and flower.

Currently I'm using a hybrid flood and drain/open flow top feed system which is working really well.

There's a couple of pics in my 'Shed Build' thread...:yep:

• Like 2

@stu914 thanks for the comment I will look into these systems now and ring (spam removed) tomorrow see what they recommend, getting rid of coco is getting very boring now 

thanks again 

Edited by Dodgee
  • Like 1

I'm coming to this mindset too. 100 odd litres of coco is annoying although I find a quick drive to the nearest block of flats and discarding it their large wheelie bins does the trick. 

is it easy to wash and reuse clay pebbles? I've always liked the thought of dwc but seems a big job when refilling res/swapping to new bucket 

Tommy your grows are insane and keep up the good work man. 

Just to jump into this thread but I've currently got a 8 pot rdwc and am considering going back to coco.

I've probably lost 3 months growing time since getting the system in August due to various issues. I've had root rot twice. Constant deficiencies that are difficult to diagnose. This is despite having spent £300 on expensive PH and EC monitoring kit that was out of calibration and a £400 water chilled and using silver bullet. 

The amount of stress the system had caused me is unreal. Yes when dialed in the speed is insane in veg but I've lost that time in correcting issues ten times over.  one slight wobble and it throws everything off kilter then one deficiency follows the other. 

I've got 4 in a wilma in the same room and the difference is insane. I've grown in a wilma coco for several years and have never had so many issues. Even in a damp outside garage. Yes many of these issues are my fault as a grower but I've literally given my heart and soul to the system and I've still got issues.

Rant over and I'm sure others will disagree. I was seduced at first by not having to get rid of coco and increase in veg speed but I'd rather have coco now. This is my experience of rdwc. If you are prepared to lose your entire crop in 2 days or waste weeks waiting for deficiencys to resolve. Just my advice as someone who's tried both. 

I'm looking at a medusa Rtw system and the coco can be reused.  I'm giving my rdwc until the end of the week for the ladies to improve then they're getting chucked. Can't waste any more time and stress on them! 

• Like 1

@undercover hippie

My advice is give it one last shot and let me help you through it.

I cant promise anything but ive neen doing dwc for over 10yrs and never lost a crop (yet!!..kiss of death)

My first advice would be buy some ionic hydro nutes.

And...let the plants drink the solution until the.pots are only about a 1/4 full before refilling.

Up to you mate im willing to pass on my hard earned knowledge if youre willing to have one last pop...

• Like 7

On 09/02/2021 at 0:43 PM, stu sleeper 20vt said:

@undercover hippie

My advice is give it one last shot and let me help you through it.

I cant promise anything but ive neen doing dwc for over 10yrs and never lost a crop (yet!!..kiss of death)

My first advice would be buy some ionic hydro nutes.

And...let the plants drink the solution until the.pots are only about a 1/4 full before refilling.

Up to you mate im willing to pass on my hard earned knowledge if youre willing to have one last pop...

Man that is beyond kind of you to offer.ive got four left I've just put a post up in Q&A as I'm a bit stuck with something. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2021 at 11:32 PM, sweettooth said:

I'm coming to this mindset too. 100 odd litres of coco is annoying although I find a quick drive to the nearest block of flats and discarding it their large wheelie bins does the trick. 

is it easy to wash and reuse clay pebbles? I've always liked the thought of dwc but seems a big job when refilling res/swapping to new bucket 

Coir is great at keeping the log burner in overnight, Dont smell good though:wassnnme:

• Like 1