Pumice

modeflip

Can anyone tell me of this stuff is suitable for use in organic soil? 

Lump Pumice

Lump pumice stone is used in the polishing and finishing industry.

Edited by lildaveham
Removed external link

I’ve just realised we can’t post links. Apologies for that. 

can anyone tell me if you can use lump pumice for the polishing and finishing industry in a soil mix? 

@ratdog It was out of stock last time i looked so was looking for an alternative source but it’s actually back in stock again 

• Like 1

What's in it?

Surely it would take forever to break down  like so many other of these mineral additives ?

Just anther flash in the pan like the rock dust hype last year.

6 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Surely it would take forever to break down  like so many other of these mineral additives ?

that's exactly the point.....

6 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Just anther flash in the pan like the rock dust hype last year.

which I see you missed then also?

It provides a porous sponge like structure. That allows for colonisation by bacteria/fungi/microbiota across a gradient of conditions. So if your bed dries out or fluctuates environmentally your bed is seeded with bacterial refuges for recolonisation/recovery. And yes, also improves drainage, among other things. 

It's expensive but it retains its integrity for longer and is better than many of the alternatives. 

• Like 5

That 

24 minutes ago, ratdog said:

Refers to pathogenic microbes. It won't 'host' them as a substrate in its own right, as its inert. Hence its suitable a sterile media. That's useful consumer info for purchasers. 

Once it's in soil soaked in nutrients, organic matter, water it absolutely will, without any doubt, host multiple micro organisms and biota. Therefore acting in the way I have described. 

• Like 4

In fact this is precisely why it is such an excellent biological filter media for a variety of purposes, industrial and in aquarium filters for example. It is exceptionally good in this particular regard. Rapid and sustained colonisation. 

• Like 5