Infestation at week 8!

NinjaFox44

Hi all, Im a complete noob and this is my first grow, Just finished week 7 of bloom, a few days ago while watering I noticed some tiny white things moving around my coco coir, I inspected a few through my microscope and Im pretty positive its thrips larvae. I thought it could have bee fungus gnat larvae but they are very long, thin and white, they start clear and get milky with size, they have segmented bodies with 2 black eyes and two antennae.

So far Ive dusted with cinnamon and done a neem drench, which I know are probably not the best but it was all i had in. I have diatomaceous earth to use today and some h202 coming wednesday. Im hoping to hold out for another 2 weeks before harvest so any extra advice would be more than welcome.

never heard of springtails, ill have tongoofle and wise up. since I've moved to coco,  never had any problems with medium based critters, had spider mites once and a bit of bud rot with higher RH, until this grow where I grabbed some airpots from the garden and didn't wash properly. noticed a few small fruit fly looking fuckers recently, think they're fungus gnats... running 9 L airpots is way different to 6L and think they've been over watered but I'm week 7 so don't give a shit. Cleanliness is key, so too is top quality coco and bug screens on all your intakes. posting drunk again :banned:  lol

On 01/02/2021 at 3:27 PM, BarrySHitPeas said:

Sounds like springtails, have a google image search and compare

if it is springtials there apparently harmless

OMG I cant believe it, you were right, I researched for days and was convinced they were thips but now Ive seen pics of springtail babies I know thats them cheers dude!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2021 at 3:27 PM, BarrySHitPeas said:

Sounds like springtails, have a google image search and compare

if it is springtials there apparently harmless

I've noticed a few springtails (didn't know what they were before) in my coco but yeah, they seem harmless. Been weeks and my plants are healthy. Good to know.

• Like 1

Mee too, freak me out they were in the corner of the medusa tray that doesn't drain and I thought Holy Shit!! Turns out they're totally harmless and attracted to damp things. Lil' cuties swimming around in there. 

Anyone know how they get in? Clean coco, clean nutes, pots etc where do they come from?

1 hour ago, Slippy One said:

Anyone know how they get in?

Spontaneous generation! Abiogenesis!

Have you sanitised the airlock to your grow room recently?

:-)

• Like 1

The reason I ask is that I have a theory springtails are already in the coir, just like some compost has gnat larvae lol