Glass joint size and experience...

zeroG

Just a quick question; Im about to pull the trigger on a glass rig of some description for my flowerpot. Is therre any real difference in the joint size vs the performance? Obviously the bigger hole wil allow more vapour to pass, but aside of the obvious clogging issues with flower/associated ash thats combusted, is there any real diffeence in the 14/18? considering its temp controlled vape. Ill also be running it dry.

gratefulas always to use the power of the forum :)

• Like 1

Guest theokoles

What you got mate? i'm looking for a decent perc/water bubbler that i can use my Solo alongside.. You'd think it easy, but sourcing a quality perc anywhere in the Uk is like trying to find rocking horse shit lol 

Such shit on ebay and the Zon, and the old school websites have all sold out and haven't stocked up in years..

gap in the market, who wouldn't want to use a perc water cooled bong alongside a vape to get high on organic weed...

Edited by theokoles

The airflow rate is governed by the thinnest tubing in the bong, whether it's at the joint, downstem, perc, internal flow, the mouthpiece ... those things all being equal, you're right, there's little difference really.

I actually have (and had :( ) 18s that allow less flow than my 14mm matrix sidecar as the matrix has a wide downstem from the bowl to the perc and the tubing for the mouthpiece is the same diameter whereas the 18s in question have thinner tubing between the bowl and the perc or the tube leading to the mouthpiece that restrict the flow. 

Sooo annoying when you see a bong you like and spot a skinny bent pipe between the bowl and the perc or a silly pinch point inside that ruin the flow.

I recommend considering how easy it's gonna be to clean it while you're choosing one btw

If I can't get the bendy brush everywhere so it's done in 2mins, I'm not interested anymore (no more sidecars for me) lol 

I find that with pieces like the GRAV Upright and Herborizer style bodies that you can get a brush in, I keep them cleaner cos it's an easy job. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, theokoles said:

What you got mate? i'm looking for a decent perc/water bubbler that i can use my Solo alongside.. You'd think it easy, but sourcing a quality perc anywhere in the Uk is like trying to find rocking horse shit lol 

Such shit on ebay and the Zon, and the old school websites have all sold out and haven't stocked up in years..

gap in the market, who wouldn't want to use a perc water cooled bong alongside a vape to get high on organic weed...

I have a shitty black leaf straight through layback, no water diffusion 18mm joint, and a Ehle 14mm straight bong, with a 'ehle percolator downstem lollollol  its basic mate lol, like milk bottle and rubber hose bubbler basic lol - In my defense, i was a jointsmith, i can roll just about any concieveable shape from 7 kingskin faery pipes to tridents, without any mats or assistance...its all in the fingers lol

Only dry for me, i like all the composites of my weed at once. Ive been reading for a long time now, studies from Leafly, Seedsman etc about leaving too much behind in the water, up to 60/70%...and when its just vapour, theres no carbonisation anyway to be bitter or harsh. If your weed is cured properly it shouldn't be harsh, and vaping it direct, al la Sticky brick/DynaVap and a quite a few others that are specific dry herb vapes...is quite comfortable, in fact preferable and much more tasty and pleasureable to a water solution - to me anyway :) They are all water compatible obviously, but ill bet folks who buy them are looking for that dry experience... Terps and flavonids are water soluble too, so if nothing else yopu'll be leaving the majority of your flavor/smell behind anyway...for the record when I used to combust, i loved a big bong experience. I never had a really big one but i had mates with all sorts of scientific 'percoaltor' connurtations... ash catchers, and the whole while I was thinking, thank fuck I havnt gotta clean that lol

@Hippie on hillI found cleaning my upline taster quite quick - Im not naieve to the size differential obviously lol . The mouthpiece is quite small. but the rest of the construction, from what I can see. is just glass mouldings in the structure, no small tubes, just ridges and nobbles...I would like to be corrected if im wrong though...Hot water/ISO and salt. good shake...but at 117 quid, i dont wanna be wrong lol

Part of me wants to just buy 20/30 quid chinese jobbies and run them til they wont work anymore and just bin them and buyt a new one lol - but i fancy a nice bong for the first time in a 30 year cannabis history lol

@Hippie on hillwhat glass are you using now? I agree witrh you on the cleaning front, thats been my antipathy toward the flowerpot  for a while, youre right, I cant get inside that GRAV body with a brush! - choice is limited to be fair, and could do with saving a bit as well lol Its been an expensive 6 months

I'm using either an 18mm Phoenix Matrix which is basically a GRAV Upright knockoff, a 14mm matrix sidecar, an FC-MOD with the showerhead perc (I think that's what they call the one that comes with the ashcatcher) , and a pitchfork dual splitter with a stopper in the other hole (or another vape he he) which you can remove to clear the chamber, and a whip usually 

Aaand sometimes I'll fool around combining bits on an 18mm stand with a cork in the bottom and use either a claisen or the pitchfork (or both) to support an ashcatcher (or not lol) and stick a whip adapter or a bent stem in the other joint .... kinda like stoner Lego :D

• Like 2

@Hippie on hilldude, lol why are you always shy on the photos...? lol I like stoner lego, never mind anyone else... Do you run those dry, or are you paddling?

I was also looking at DHgate (for the first time ever!) and stumbled across a very tidy Mobuis lookielikie, seems rated too as i followed a link from FC that pointed there as well. for the 30$ it seems like a good place to start...

I was reading a thread with a few old timer vapers in it, the guys with soldering irons and professional hot air gun 'constructions' and most of those were running straight bongs with little to no diffusion, and minimal water. I couldnt get to the bottom of why the mimimal diffusion, but at a guess i spose the more surfaces your weed touches, the more gets left behind...? and Im not a member there as I like to minimise my ether-exposure so it remains a mystery to me. But I was interested as was wondering if all the stuff you see with 'double percs', 'tripple ashcatcher recyclers' and all that jazz (none of which i have a clue about, would even recognise if it licked my nose, or even understand) was more about posturing than was actually the best way to smoke or vape your weed..?

Anyway Matrix Birdcage diffuser side car on the way...Looks nice in the picture lol

• Like 1

Noooooo not the sidecar lol

Says he looking over at the 14mm matrix sidecar on the draining board after another overnight steradent soak .

I think it's a little overkill for us really to be honest but I'm a sucker for a good bubble stack like you should get with that matrix, and usually run them with enough water to cover the perc and not spit in the whip at full draw.

Sounds like you've probably found me over on FC. Minimal water is quite popular over there for the same reasons you've identified, not needing to scrub the vapour as much as you would smoking, wanting to preserve the terps and potency while still using water to catch some of the plant waxes and the tiny particles that make it through the screen. The "cheap, high quality bubbler" thread is a good read to bring you up to speed and id some of the better options and sellers.

• Like 4

Yes - kinda like a Chinese ebay or Amazon marketplace. Lots of stores within one site 

When you pay the money sits in escrow (I think they call it) so it sits in limbo until you confirm you're happy 

I received the wrong item last week and got my money back from dhgate almost instantly after posting a couple of pics.

• Like 2

@DegsyPretty much as HoH says, I was nervous until I read into it a little bit - and my fingers are still crossed on my maiden voyage. I got had on alibaba for 700 quid about 3yrs ago, never been chinese since, but loads of people use this site, (no less our esteemed friend HoH) as far as Ive read - and I read, and write a lot!  - and most folks are largely happy. Like you say most of it comes from the far east anyway...All big economy's can support the lower price point through volume which makes them not necessarily cheap at all, just advantaged by volume.

I remember my first trip stateside and being astounded at 50c a gallon of 4 star full derv lol  - this is 2001/2 - and going in to subway, getting the bread and filling, and being 'shown' to the salad bar to help myself... likewise in McDs - and looking at the same prices in dollars as we have here, for everything, and then applying an exchange rate down lol. I bought the entire cable media suite for my iphone at the time, retail in the uk £136, usa, with exhange £49

My argument is - and I feel I need one spunking 500£ on a vape for shits and giggles is; I was looking at 80/100 knicker for a half decent piece (ish) (black leaf/GRAV/similar mass production) - still have no real idea of what i want/need/would like - at 36$ (£26.50 ish) - if its shite, its not massive and I can have another go for 30 quid and then even 3rd time lucky go at 30 quid too... and then im still only knocking on the door of where I started - and have 3 testers for a collection/VAS aleviation lol - every cloud/silver lining...

@theokoleshere it is bro - 30 quid all done. I went there for an initial 5 minute browse, 4 hours later, 17 items in the basket lol - They have all the glass I ever saw and wanted just for fun when I was a combuster and had no money lol (mini helix steam roler, fat roor steamrollers/sexy scientific chilumslol - all lookilikie pikey, but all there - youll be the proverbial pig in...) - There were no end of standalone ash catchers/percs/showerheads etc...Again, I can call it, what they are is still a mystery lol

Suffice to say, most of them look pretty, and seem to be made ok - and have largely multiple positive reviews, that don't ALL look like the Chairman Mao family tree...

Really enjoying this experience to be honest, For years I denied myself my hobby, for one reason or another, legality, availability, cash - now I decided that at my age fuck it, i work hard, dont really drink, have a couple hobbies and don't beat my wife or take hard.. (..er drugs than necessary). Simplistic simplicity.

1 hour ago, Hippie on hill said:

Noooooo not the sidecar lol

Cheers mate - you coulod have been quicker lol at this rate youll have ne using my old lay back weedstar bong, with the broken down stem and the pasty foil screen lol

• Like 1

Guest theokoles

@zeroGI messaged Shiva days ago about the "Chongz mines a double glass perc" but no reply. i had a good look on DHgate, but couldn't get what i wanted until mid March and they wanted to post to the USA for some reason so i sacked it off. i need a heavy duty perc, at least 5mm thick glass preferably 8mm, very sturdy at the base so a mini won't do me as i need it to pair with my Solo.

need a curved mouthpiece rather than straight, as comfort is essential and need a stright connector for the Solo rather than angled. This is not easy finding something like this. It was easy 5 years ago.

Will have another ganders though, just want one sooner rather than later. 

Edited by theokoles

I thought I said already :)

On 1/27/2021 at 1:36 AM, Hippie on hill said:

(no more sidecars for me) lol 

That little hole at the base of the sidecar in your pic is exactly what I was talking about with regard to flow and cleaning. 

Being the smallest aperture in the bong it will govern the max flow, and my bendy brushes aren't bendy enough to go much further so it'll need an overnight soak with the steradent to clean   

Still a good piece tho imo and one I keep on the living room coffee table most days 

• Like 1