The use of vitalink A+B

Ianire

Hi guys.. just started a grow with coco coir just a small 4 plant operation using a 600w Led light... I'm struggling with all the terminology around feeding and using the nutes that were supplied... it says on the bottle that these are suitable for the whole grow and nothing else is needed..  but I did buy calmag..  I'm hearing alot about vitalink buddy and PK this and that and to be honest my heads spinning a bit lol... can anyone simplify this for me.. I'm currently on week 2 and only maintaining nutes going in and PH'ing them to 5.8 to 6.0.. im growing 1 white widow and 3 LSD all from barneys farm.. lighting schedule is 20/4 moisture is monitored around 50-65. Temp is mid 20s.. any help is much appreciated ✌✌✌

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/01/2021 at 11:54 AM, Ianire said:

Hi guys.. just started a grow with coco coir just a small 4 plant operation using a 600w Led light... I'm struggling with all the terminology around feeding and using the nutes that were supplied... it says on the bottle that these are suitable for the whole grow and nothing else is needed..  but I did buy calmag..  I'm hearing alot about vitalink buddy and PK this and that and to be honest my heads spinning a bit lol... can anyone simplify this for me.. I'm currently on week 2 and only maintaining nutes going in and PH'ing them to 5.8 to 6.0.. im growing 1 white widow and 3 LSD all from barneys farm.. lighting schedule is 20/4 moisture is monitored around 50-65. Temp is mid 20s.. any help is much appreciated ✌✌✌

hi mate here is a vitalink nutrient schedule. its different for different mediums and nutes. I use the hydromax one im growing in coco perlite 70/30 top feeding them.

only thing is, I don't use the Plant Start, Fulvic, Foliar, Turbo, Buddy or Finale.large.60252ca6a7bfe_Screenshot2021-02-11at12_59_06.pnglarge.60252ca07e3e0_Screenshot2021-02-11at12_59_41.pnglarge.60252c98aecd1_Screenshot2021-02-11at13_00_01.png

• Like 2

Just bare in mind that the doses the nutrient manufacturers recommend tend to be a bit on the high side. Its often best to start at half dose and adjust from there, if they're looking hungry increase it a bit on the other hand if you get tip burn (when the tips of the leaves go brown) then reduce the dose. Reading your plants its one of the most important skills as a home grower and something that takes trial and error and time to get good at. If you have issues with your plants get some photos up on here and we can help.

You don't need any of the additives, your a&b grow during the veg phase and then the bloom when you flip (it often doesn't hurt to use a bit of grow during the first couple of weeks after you've flipped as they will still be quite hungry for nitrogen when they're stretching like mad) will do the trick nicely.

If you do an online search for your water provider and 'water quality report' you should find a page where you put your postcode in and it will give you a link to your water quality reports which will tell you if you have soft or hard water and give your water's calcium and magnesium levels. This will determine whether or not you need to use calmag (or possibly just mag if in hard water with little to no magnesium). Feel free to post the result of the report here and we can advise on this.

One other bit of advice, at this time of year you need to keep a close eye on your root temps when the lights go out as if they get too cold it leads to nutrient lockouts. Try and keep them at 20 or above (if you don';t already have one, get a thermometer with a probe to do this).

• Like 3

An ec meter will give you a better picture of the feeding situation. Evaporation can lead to situations where you are feeding too much. Apera, HM and Bluelab make decent ones. The Bluelab Truncheon is the easist to use but it's around 70 quid.

• Like 2

get yourself a decent ec and ph meter.

ignore the feed charts and start at 0.8 ec, see how they go and up it by 0.1 every week or if they start looking hungry (pale leaves in centre of plant)

you dont need pk, boost or anything like that. just grow and bloom. add the cal mag if your leaves show brownish spots.

good luck

• Like 6

Hi pal, I've used Vitalink A&B coir max since I started in Coco a few years ago with very good results. I really recommend using their plant start for seedlings or cuttings, it really helps the initial growth then move onto A&B once your plants have established a bit. I tend to max out at 4.5ml per litre of each, then I taper back down the feed in the last 3 weeks of flowering. I don't need to ph with Vitalink (maybe it's my soft water) I also have never tested my feed for ec as I just read the plants needs by eye. All I use is their Plant start then A&B, I also use their rootstim which is optional. 

Hope this gives you some guidance, I certainly don't think you need any other additives.

• Like 3

On 11/02/2021 at 4:29 PM, badbillybob said:

get yourself a decent ec and ph meter.

ignore the feed charts and start at 0.8 ec, see how they go and up it by 0.1 every week or if they start looking hungry (pale leaves in centre of plant)

you dont need pk, boost or anything like that. just grow and bloom. add the cal mag if your leaves show brownish spots.

good luck

My tap water occasionally hits .8!! lol

On 12/02/2021 at 10:56 AM, btk1977 said:

The one additive I'd definitely recommended getting is a root stimulant.

Agreed, but I bought their 'fulvic' which is almost identical to their Root Stim. Plants happy. 

• Like 2

Just now, Ianire said:

Accidentally bought the vitalink hydro max bloom not the coco coir bloom... can I still use it?? 

Not a good idea. You need chelated coco nutes. 

Just now, Xx-Danjaman-xX said:

Not a good idea. You need chelated coco nutes. 

They both have the same ingredients listed on bottles I just bought the wrong named one that's for coco coir but it does state that the hydro max is for all hydroponics rock wool clay pebbles etc so just need info from you guys... am I missing something?? Both bottles have the exact same ingredients!!

Just now, Ianire said:

They both have the same ingredients listed on bottles I just bought the wrong named one that's for coco coir but it does state that the hydro max is for all hydroponics rock wool clay pebbles etc so just need info from you guys... am I missing something?? Both bottles have the exact same ingredients!!

I'm quite a tedious person and would have specific coco nutes for coco medium. I wouldnt put canna aqua in coco .  It's really up to you what you want to do mate. 

Edited by Xx-Danjaman-xX

8 minutes ago, Ianire said:

Accidentally bought the vitalink hydro max bloom not the coco coir bloom... can I still use it?? 

this guy will tell you mate @GSZZ

• Like 3

VitaLink Hydro MAX has a strong reputation with growers for promoting healthy plants and yield. It is suitable for use with clay pebbles, perlite, stone-wool and can be used with recirculating and run to waste hydroponic systems. It aids better overall plant health and development, VitaLink Hydro MAX products are two-part nutrients (A + B) containing essential plant nutrients as well as added EDDHA (increases iron availability) and fulvic acid (aids nutrient uptake). Hydro MAX is formulated for both growth and bloom stages of the plant lifecycle.

Key Features:

Two part complete plant feed designed for optimum flowering in hydroponic systems.

Should be used from bloom week 2 until bloom week 8.

Formulated for soft water and hard water locations.

Available in 1L, 5L and 10L bottles.

Dosage: 3-4ml/L.