Biobizz Alternative?

Sid the Seedkiller

Hi chaps, after my 4th grow I've had enough of Biobizz soil. Its full of crap like sticks, rocks and other assorted detritus, it compacts like concrete (a full to the brim 12L fabric pot has dropped at least 3 inches after many feedings) as well as being pretty deficient in a few things as far as I can tell. :thumbdown:

Can anyone recommend a good organic and easily findable alternative? I have thought about Canna Terra, but have seen reports of thrips and other bugs, but not sure how true this is. Also, I've already researched Clover, and I cant get it within 50 miles of me unfortunately, otherwise I would already be using that.

:mellow:

I have been using BAC nutrients, but after reading some threads and diaries on here i'm definitely making the switch to Intense for my next run, if that makes a difference to soil choice. I have seen that Intense intend to produce their own soil? Anyway, thanks in advance guys. 

Sid :skin_up:

13 minutes ago, Sid the Seedkiller said:

Can anyone recommend a good organic and easily findable alternative? I have thought about Canna Terra,

I dont think Canna terra, tropic mix, h&g batmix are organic ?

The only ones billed as organic are biobizz, plant magic (i think) and ecothrive, thats more expensive but seems to get good reviews.

• Like 2

@Sid the Seedkiller why don't you just get the clover delivered mate.. I haven't used it but I no everyone rants about how good it is.. mind how you go with some of these other products that claim to be organic, they are not but a great usp for some companys.  

• Like 3

I used bio bizz for one grow and never used it since, switched to pm soil and its much much better.

Personally I wouldn't get bogged down with organic or non organic compost. Generally only whether its peat based or not, and the best ones always have peat in.

• Like 1

I am another that uses the tropic batmix and I can't recommend it highly enough. To my understanding the standard tropic mix is just a 60/40 peat and coco coir mix and the tropic batmix is the same with added guanokalong.

To my mind these are more than organic enough for me.

atb

greenie

• Like 3

I found exactly the same mate, used Bio Bizz light mix but the quality got worse and worse, I was ridling out probably not far off quarter of a bag of sticks and lumps of shit. And also found it to set like concrete too. I now use Plant magic for the little ones and then go into House and Garden Batmix for my finals. Love the stuff, head and shoulders above Bizz. Also giving the Intense organix a go for this run :v:

• Like 2

@Greenls I don't think I have noticed it speed up growth as such, however the roots just go mental with the additional coco and guano. I am using organic feed though, so maybe if you are using a salt based fert you might see quicker growth.

greenie

4 hours ago, Larry Badgeley said:

I use Tropic Bat Mix. 40% Coco 60% Compost. It is excellent stuff. Growell sell it on line.

Cheers mate, I have checked this out, looks good but I'm trying to stay away from having big bags delivered. If I can drive somewhere (when we are allowed) I'd rather do that, bit suspect for me having bags of compost delivered. 

4 hours ago, LA LUNA said:

I dont think Canna terra, tropic mix, h&g batmix are organic ?

The only ones billed as organic are biobizz, plant magic (i think) and ecothrive, thats more expensive but seems to get good reviews.

I did think of plant magic, but have read bad things on here about the foam they put in it. 

3 hours ago, Revive said:

@Sid the Seedkiller why don't you just get the clover delivered mate.. I haven't used it but I no everyone rants about how good it is.. mind how you go with some of these other products that claim to be organic, they are not but a great usp for some companys.  

I need to avoid delivery mate else I would do. Really need something I can grab from the local hydro shop when we are allowed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aphatspliff said:

I found exactly the same mate, used Bio Bizz light mix but the quality got worse and worse, I was ridling out probably not far off quarter of a bag of sticks and lumps of shit. And also found it to set like concrete too. I now use Plant magic for the little ones and then go into House and Garden Batmix for my finals. Love the stuff, head and shoulders above Bizz. Also giving the Intense organix a go for this run :v:

I think it may be House and Garden for me, I need to avoid delivery if possible and this is defo available locally when they finally open up again. What nutes you putting into it mate? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sid the Seedkiller said:

I did think of plant magic, but have read bad things on here about the foam they put in it. 

Don't think plant magic has any foam in it now, in fact that's the thing that always annoys me about plant magic, is the lack of any perlite or such stuff, though I have a tendency to add tons more myself now anyway, so it matters not.

(*reading this back, maybe you meant loam and that was a typo... I suppose that's why it needs tons of perlite adding... I am easy to confuse)

Have been on foot and stryggling for a decent compost supplier myself, since my local hydro shop decided he couldn't be arsed with the cold of being sat in an industrial unit in Jan, and has been "covid" closed since... meh, hardly blame him!

Have settled for a madness blend of anything I can get my hands on, including bio-bizz allmix (not as good anymore), plagron batmix (my favourite, but expensive and not local), plant magic (good, but compacts like a mo'fo, needs tons of perlite adding), westland whatever john innes mix and topsoil from my local chain DIY gaff and some very random and old looking stuff from my local local DIY store.

I have now started buying predator mites and other natural solutions, including encouraging a hatch of actual spiders I had a few weeks ago, as the Sciarid fly issues are real!

Realler than real, and have deffo lost a few weeks on my next run sorting it.

Has been a bit of a nightmare!

Edited by audioaddict
  • Like 1