Undercurrent or rdwc waterfall

gavlp20

So I nearly lost my plants these last few weeks with the weather I was using a flood and drain with the res outside the room so water temps was dropping to much. So I have done a undercurrent system before but on a bigger scale worked lovely and I still have the chiller so summer should be no problem so am thinking on a smaller scale like 17lt square buckets with 4inch pipe 4x buckets in the room with the brain and a header tank outside an a ballcock or should I just do a waterfall effect in the buckets

• 2 weeks later...

Right so not a lot of input haha 

so I do homebrew and one of the group showed a 15mm silicon hose around the inside of buckets with 3-4mm holes in it looked really impressive so am thinking if I go down that route I wouldn’t need the air pump in each bucket as the surface of the water would be causing enough oxygen for the roots would I get away with that 

• Like 1

as long as you have enough water exchange, you wont really need air pump and stones. but it will be better if you do use the airpump to be honest. .

have a look at this link, this lad has grown massive trees in this system, like, truly massive, no air pump.

havnt seen him on the forums for years, hope hes ok, he used to be on overgrow, way back when i had hair....shout out to the G-Unit.

tour of the tree machine - YouTube

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 4

On 1/10/2021 at 1:57 PM, gavlp20 said:

So I nearly lost my plants these last few weeks with the weather I was using a flood and drain with the res outside the room so water temps was dropping to much. So I have done a undercurrent system before but on a bigger scale worked lovely and I still have the chiller so summer should be no problem so am thinking on a smaller scale like 17lt square buckets with 4inch pipe 4x buckets in the room with the brain and a header tank outside an a ballcock or should I just do a waterfall effect in the buckets

Would an aquarium heater in the res not have sold ur problems ? 

I do undercurrent rdwc and use fluming and airstones.

:smokin:

On 20/01/2021 at 3:45 PM, zen-ken said:

Would an aquarium heater in the res not have sold ur problems ? 

I do undercurrent rdwc and use fluming and airstones.

:smokin:

Hi I had 3x water heaters in there but the res was outside the room and no matter what I did could not get it above 11c I had to bin 2x plants and use the Wilma for now . But in the next week or two I will be doing and undercurrent 

• Like 1

I do still have my 4inch flanges would that be over kill do you think for a 4 bucket system and if so would 1 1/12 do the job?

1 hour ago, gavlp20 said:

I do still have my 4inch flanges would that be over kill do you think for a 4 bucket system and if so would 1 1/12 do the job?

The alien pro uses 4 inch pipe....its just a case of fitting it in and getting buckets that will take them 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zen-ken said:

The alien pro uses 4 inch pipe....its just a case of fitting it in and getting buckets that will take them 

There is some 17lt buckets square am thinking of using 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gavlp20 said:

There is some 17lt buckets square am thinking of using 

Nice and thick if ur using 4 inch....put one against the side and have a look....they need to be as low as possible.

@badbillybob has a page with some golden information....I think i posted a video on there were the guy builds his system with 4 inch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gavlp20 said:

Hi I had 3x water heaters in there but the res was outside the room and no matter what I did could not get it above 11c

Have you considered insulating the water res?

Doesn't have to be expensive - a sheet of 100mm polystyrene cut for the 6 sides and held together at the corners with lots of gaffer tape. I used a similar thing for a completely different application but same principal and worked a treat.

Sorry if this is shite advice :)           :bong:

• Like 1

Just now, QQ710 said:

Have you considered insulating the water res?

Doesn't have to be expensive - a sheet of 100mm polystyrene cut for the 6 sides and held together at the corners with lots of gaffer tape. I used a similar thing for a completely different application but same principal and worked a treat.

Sorry if this is shite advice :)           :bong:

Old duvet or sleeping bag would be easier...Great idea tho......and my eheim heater can heat 250litres to 20c no problem from 12c 

• Like 1

Just now, zen-ken said:

Old duvet or sleeping bag would be easier...Great idea tho......and my eheim heater can heat 250litres to 20c no problem from 12c

Yeah - my water heater has been working a treat on cold days - if 3 heaters can't get it above 11'C it must be damn cold in there!

• Like 2

I went a bit made with an old 8 site Wilma system and made a mad setup but it hold over 200lt and it was below 0c in my garage at the time like I said I have scraped that system off am going to order the bits for new system at the weekend as I really need to get the clones out the cloner