need some help

hya guys,don't laugh but I'm having slight trouble with germ rates, some either pop through fine or for the most part they pop a root out (ever so slightly) and seem to stall.Run down of how i do it... put seeds in shot glass with canna rizo (4ml/ltr) and formulex (4ml/ltr) in boiler room,wait around 24/48hrs (sometimes 3days,although exceptionally) for tap root to show,then place into root riot cube soaked in same solution (rizotonic+formulex at same dosage uptop) and put into propagator on heat matt with temp/hygrometer, currently reading 26-28c,in tent with light.Now the ones that have been stalling have been for the most part freebies so could be duds/some from hso so think my tech isn't fine tuned...they ones that seem to stall get the tiniest of tap roots pop out and seem to stall.I have fished them out to chech and they still have life (opened seed shell very carefully)/i have one noe that i have done this too but she just seems half buried in rootiot and is failling to break sureface but i can see she is green (she is a sugrbreath,had a few isues with the load of freebies attitude gave me).I was wondering am i cooking my seeds possibly? It's annoying as usually i leave them to it

Way too much nutrients.

add zero.  

you are massively overthinking germinating a seed, mainly because you have paid a load for it.

Get a sandwich bag, put a piece of kitchen roll in it, make it wet.  Put seeds in there.  Wait till they show roots and plant em in soil.

water with water for a few weeks. 

or

get a pot of soil, 1 litre or so, pour water on it to moisten the entire pot and then poke the seeds straight from the packet a few MM below the surface and make sure it’s constantly wet.

• Like 4

As has already been said...just keep things simple. You are making a simple process into something complicated.  Just plant the seed into a Root Riot cube or something similar and it should grow.  If you just put a seed in a pot of compost and water it, it should grow.  Yes, sometimes seeds *can* be supplied when they are already dead.  It doesn't happen very often but it certainly can and does happen - probably because the seeds haven't been stored properly before you get them.

• Like 1

Your probably drowning them while soaking. 

I germ in root riots, in fact this morning I've gone into my grow room and ive got 23 out of 25 up above ground this morning and I consider that a bad run if at least one more doesnt show.

I've got germination down to an art with root riots so this may help you. 

The root riot out of bag. Make a hole10mm deep with a pencil or whatever. 

Pop seed in 5-10mm 

Spray 3 times with a squirty bottle (e2a..directly on top of seed hole so it soaks the seed and all water is absorbed, not from a distance)

Put in prop at 22'c

48-72 hours later plants will start to emerge. Pot them up at your leisure once they have broken ground in the cubes. 

Super simple and repeatable to a T. There should be little room for you to fuck anything up if you follow these instructions. Over the last 300 cannabis seeds germed over the last two years I think I've lost about 6 seeds total which imo is acceptable. 

Cannabis is the only plant I germinate this way. Everything else starts in compost which usually yields similar results but is open to many many more variables. 

If I'm paying a few quid a seed though and I've only got 10 to play with, I want all 10 so came up with this  "no fail"  repeatable method.

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 8

I can vouch for the way above. It's the way Blackpool taught me and it works. I've had 100% success so far.

Also be patient. A lot to be said for being patient in this game. It must be hard work getting out a shell.

• Like 4

hi guys and many thanks for the helpful responses! I knew i was over complicating things :blushing: have had a lot on my plate in real life and has gotten my head out of the KISS zone! @Raoul, @Lancaster8@blackpoolbouncer amnd @growinggold thank you all for the replies and helpfull advice... @blackpoolbouncer many thanks for the detailed and simple method for the rootriots! So I take it you don't recommend a seed soak in water for 12hrs due to potential drowing issues? don't mean to nit pick just always tought it helped soften the shells (although i hear you loud and clear about two to three day most definetly doing so).Also do you germ in dark? many thanks

• Like 1

@*BANG* they can soak in the cubes mate :skin_up:

They are moist from the second you spray them so start the process just the same. 

Also, because they are in the prop the cubes shouldn't dry out before the seed is up. The prop goes either in top of my t5 on a book till they break ground or straight under my t5. 

Lights not important for germination but you want them under light the second they break ground

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 3

I have found that germination from the main seed breeders is usually very good. The main problem I come across is the seed casing and the inner membrane not being rejected properly by the seedling. Plants can actually get stuck and fail to start growing because of this. It may well be that I don't give the plant enough time to do it for itself but I have seen them take too long several times, so now I always intervene. It's very nerve-wracking to do but it's great to see the little green leaves finally pop out, almost seeming to gasp for air.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 05/01/2021 at 8:54 AM, blackpoolbouncer said:

Your probably drowning them while soaking. 

I germ in root riots, in fact this morning I've gone into my grow room and ive got 23 out of 25 up above ground this morning and I consider that a bad run if at least one more doesnt show.

I've got germination down to an art with root riots so this may help you. 

The root riot out of bag. Make a hole10mm deep with a pencil or whatever. 

Pop seed in 5-10mm 

Spray 3 times with a squirty bottle (e2a..directly on top of seed hole so it soaks the seed and all water is absorbed, not from a distance)

Put in prop at 22'c

48-72 hours later plants will start to emerge. Pot them up at your leisure once they have broken ground in the cubes. 

Super simple and repeatable to a T. There should be little room for you to fuck anything up if you follow these instructions. Over the last 300 cannabis seeds germed over the last two years I think I've lost about 6 seeds total which imo is acceptable. 

Cannabis is the only plant I germinate this way. Everything else starts in compost which usually yields similar results but is open to many many more variables. 

If I'm paying a few quid a seed though and I've only got 10 to play with, I want all 10 so came up with this  "no fail"  repeatable method.

@blackpoolbouncer impressive 300/6 or 50/1 success ratio, fair play i wish i was at the 50/1 mark but being a relative newb i am trying to improve, i like your simple non complicated method but could you clarify a few things for me please.

1. Seems like you are not pre-soaking the root riot cube before use with water or anything else, is that the case ?

2. Do you put the seed any particular way up or down, i.e. pointy end up ?

3. Spray 3 times, is this with water or a nute mix ? 

4. How much is 3 pumps and a squirt, that sounds like 1 more pump than i can manage before i squirt lol 

5. When do you start using a weak nute mix, i start using Formulex and Nitrozym at half strength as soon as i pot up the root riot cubes into 7.5cm pots surrounding the root riot cube, i do this when i have 2 x 1.5cm long leaves not including the Cotyledons leaves,  does that sound ok?

Much appreciated :smokin:

Edited by photobat

@photobat 1. The moisture the seed needs comes from three squirts directly onto the seed hole with a squirty bottle. This is a measured repeatable amount. No presoaking. They are already slightly noisy out of the bag 

2. No

3.water

4. You know those squirty bottles you get. Yea use one of them as directed in number 1. Spray it three times where you've just out the seed to wet it.

5. Day 1 of flower usually. They go into small pots of compost as soon as possible after sprouting.

Atb mate

• Like 2