Bruce Bugbee Mix

growinggold

Hello all, 

I was watching this last night:

Was wondering if any one uses the Bruce Bugbee mix, it's approx:

50% peat +

50% vermiculite 

Or 

Perlite, but he prefers the more expensive vermiculite as it has silica in.

He also mention coconut coir but doesn't say how much, do others use this? What the point behind it?

I'm currently using 100% peat moss. Clover multi purpose to be accurate. Will I need to had some silica to get some extra THC production? Could I add this to already vegging plants?

Thanks 

GG

:skin_up:

Edited by growinggold
  • Like 1

Not too sure on the bugbee mix bud, however to my eye it contains far to much perlite/vermiculite.

I few people on here are using a 60:40:10 mix of compost, coir and ewc and are getting great results, just explosive root growth.

I brought the tropic batmix myself, it is a pretty similar ration 60% peat with 40% coir and I ammeneded it with ecothrive lifecycle.

atb

greenie

• Like 4

I just had a look at that, not going to knock it as i've never tried it but the only time i've ever seen anyone use vermiculite was in the hempy buckets on overgrow. I checked and you can get 100ltr for about 30quid so it's not stupid money. 

I think the idea of coir in compost is just for aeration. Silicon can be added along with your nutes, never bothered myself. Most of the nute manufacturers do their own one. 

• Like 2

I was a bit mythd  when he put this video out seems kinda old skool I thought we had moved on to almost purely peat because the vermiculite/perlite just takes up root space.. but maybe its a better way to go when using salt nuitrients...

Also what exactly is he weighing? is it bud or whole plant? and is he considering the quality of bud not just its qauntity?

8 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Stick to what your using mate. 

Hi blackpoolbouncer. Do you not agree with the video content? 

3 hours ago, M Pamplemousse said:

Hi blackpoolbouncer. Do you not agree with the video content? 

Cant see the video tbh but given the fact that he's using 100% peat compost to start i can't see any benefit from tipping half your medium out and replacing it with perlite, a substandard, innert medium that serves no purpose other than taking up space in the pot that could be filled with compost.

The medium he is using is already better. Adding perlite/vermiculite to it just makes it inferior........pointless exercise 

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 5