Cuttings advice !!

Tommytopper

Can i take cuttings from a plant grown from seed then in 6/7 weeks when the cuttings are ready to go into the flower room take cuttings from them ? And so on and so on ? 

or will the strain get weaker ? 

any help most welcomed 

thanks 

• Like 1

Yup.

Before I had the space to keep multiple mothers + cuttings + flowering plants that's what I used to do. 

Not just from seed,

I once got a cutting from a plant that was over 10 years old to begin with and cloned without keeping a mother plant for about 5 years and never noticed any drop off in strength and taste, 

but definitely not as vigorous as fresh seedstock(which wasn't available) would have been. 

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 6

I ran a cutting for about 9 years and I have to admit I did serial clone. I do think it loses some vigour after doing that so long but then it could be another factor I've not thought of. The smoke was still fine though

• Like 3

Think how many times "elite" clones get copied. How many times "cheese" or "amo" or the other commercial cuts that have circulated grow houses.

There are plants and tree varieties over 100 years old that exist in clone only form. For examples many of the fruit tree varieties have come from a single specimen plant.

Bramley apples being a good example. Every bramley apple tree has come from a single tree that came from a seed planted 200 years ago. 

Think how many times that must have been serial cloned. 

• Like 14
13 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Bramley apples being a good example

and a really interesting one too:yep:

afair it was a pip from another apple that grew into a new apple variety(sport) hence clone only but I heard even the apples from the clones are not exactly the same as the one's from the original tree.......only in the last 5-10 years have they cloned it in a way that the clones produce the exact same apples as the original.....and just in time as i think the original is in trouble?:unsure:

• Like 5

Yeah the original gnarly looking 200 year old bramley apple tree is in Nottinghamshire and is indeed dying off.

Edited by Smokebelch
  • Like 5
On 28/12/2020 at 7:56 AM, buddy13 said:

no such thing as genetic drift :yep:

There is, its just a totally different thing to what people use the term as on canna forums.  Bit like when people have some whorled philloxytaily, the plant produces 3 sets of leaves / shoots at the nodes and they call it a triploid lol  No doubt cannabis has the most amount of these kind of things than any other species.  But yeah as its incorrect use that is a bit of a myth Imo.

On 29/12/2020 at 8:04 AM, buddy13 said:

only in the last 5-10 years have they cloned it in a way that the clones produce the exact same apples as the original

Interesting. Im guessing tissue culture involved.  Ive heard can remove viruses etc almost like 'scrubbing' the germplasm of anything its picked up over the years.  

• Like 2