Water pump and airstone in autopot res

Curious_pete

Hi everyone/anyone. I have decided on a 1.2m autopot grow with 2 viparspectre p2000 led. (Actual 200w each).

I am undecided on the 47l or the 100l res. I am also unsure of a airstone in the res due to unknown effectiveness and potential noise. I will get a water pump for the res but I am unsure whether to have it on constantly or partially. 

Could anyone please help me on these issues I am undecided on. These are my questions broken down.

1) Which is the best res? I think the 100l has a bigger valve (16mm instead of 6mm/9mm). Is that right and important/helpful?).

2) How effective is a airstone and how noisy are they?

3) What size water pump is sufficient and how much does it need to be on?

I would very much appreciate help on any or all of these questions from anyone that has experience. This is my first grow. Thanks.

• Like 1

I run NFT and find that I am needing around 70-80lt a week from 9. I also run a interpet pump with the filter removed and the top part sat in some pipe insulation. This allows the pump to float with the water level and use a long tube for the air intake. This is on from 8 till 9 during to day to keep noise down.

1. Go with the larger res

2. Have a look at an Ehiem air pump.

3. Not sure on this system  but I use one Eheim 600 compact to run three tables.

• Like 1

I agree with @spillage

Except point two.

Use a powerhead instead to maintain surface agitation and reduce noise.

Why do u need a water pump when the auto pots are gravity fed ? 

Never though of using a powerhead. The adapted pump was just something i had lying around spare. My first grow so stuff has been cobbled together the keep cost down.

• Like 1

I run coco in 4 autopots in a 1.5m x 1.5m. Been amazing wee system for 5 years now.  I use the 47ltr res.. I fill it every 4 or 5 days..no pumps or air stones.. I just  give it a good stir every day or 2 when checking and stabilise  ph..  5.7-5.8 in veg. Then 6 ish for flower,using only a +b. And root powder on pot ups.. max ec at 1.3 ish.

I been getting great results (for me anyway) .usually 4 oz +/plant and as much as 7 + off a hso 3 kings that I have just finished..thing was a beast of solid nugs..   I find keeping the ph and environment in check has done wonders for my growing, not had any issues in last few years .. get it dialled in and good roots,the pots fly along.. good luck with the system and well worth changing the wee 6mm pipework every grow or 2..cheers and guid luck..gonge:skin_up: 

• Like 3