Can you clone from roots?

Aurora Ruderalis

Ok, so I've been doing a bit of research for an experiment I may try out regards to cloning.  It's a bit long winded to explain what I'm actually researching and it's only a whim anyhow.  

Regardless, whilst bumbling around a few resources i saw a post where someone said it's possible to make clones from roots. I.e take a handful of roots from plant to be cloned, put them in a dark bucket with a little distilled water.  Cover the roots to keep them dark and moist.  In time cotyledons will appear.  (I assume cotyledons as it was misspelled ).

Now I have never in all my time heard of such trickery.  However in my mind I can kinda see it being possible.  Maybe like a less clinical leaf culture process.  Has anybody ever heard of this or have any references or resources regarding it.

Surely if this was possible we would know about it?

• Like 5

I've left roots in a dwc for a few days after harvesting without removing the nutes. No heating or air pump and they did nothing apart from rot.

I suppose if the heat and air had been kept up then they might have done something but doubt it.

They might be programmed to switch off due to being annuals and not perennials??  :unsure:

:oldtoker:

• Like 3

Just to clarify @FarmerPalmersNT I'm not interested in doing that. But would not rule out discussing it.

What I'm doing is creating two siamese per plant.  Strike rate will be difficult.  But I love this theory.  Every female plant has two sucker clones.

• Like 1

So I get to sculpt and create my cuttings   and they are full of florigen. They will live forever until I separate them.  Rooting woody stems is another matter.

• Like 1

It wouldn't work. Lower trunk maybe, but not root mass. Cannabis just isn't set up that way. Little capability to store energy in the roots and tissue organisation/root structure isn't setup to grow suckers. It won't differentiate that way. 

Feel free to prove me wrong. 

• Like 6

Root propagation as far as I was aware was only viable with rhizomatous plants, cannabis not being one. 

Cannabis never send up shoot from its roots so it's a no not possible from me. 

Tissue culture from a root maybe but not what the op is talking about

• Like 5

Not quite on topic but I'll mention it anyway.

Few weeks back I germinated a few seeds, they all opened in tissue apart from one, but it had a little root about 10mm, so I put then in coco, this one just couldn't break the shell off, so I tried to help it, but i broke off the whole top, so there was just about 10mm of white root sticking above the coco  i left it just to see what happens, about 3 days later it started turning green, then about a week later it started putting out a leaf etc, i couldn't beleive it.

I do apologise I don't know the actual technical words for what things are called, but im sure you can understand  it.

I might save a nice long root & pot it with a inch or so poking out & see what happens.

• Like 1

What I'm actually doing this time round to be clear, is growing two clones on each plant during flower.  So in the area which most people religiously lollipop a plant I've left two specific branches on each plant.  Then throughout flowering ive topped and fimmed these branches.

Its encouraged lots of extra nodes to appear.  What I hope to do is get the timing right and remove the branches with a view of rooting them and getting them back to reveg just as I'm harvesting my current crop.  

Reason for attempting this is available time and space really.  And just for shits and giggles.  I know it will be tricky trying to get the woodier older branches to root but I suspect I'll employ a bit of scarrification on the stem and see how it goes.  I may even build a wee aero cloner  as I've a bit of airline and a few air pumps about the place.

It's when I was researching my above plan that I came across the root cloning malarky.

It just piqued my interest a bit.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Mad wee topic.

Someone's gonna have to try it though!

• Like 2
On 15/12/2020 at 4:24 PM, FarmerPalmersNT said:

It wouldn't work. Lower trunk maybe, but not root mass. Cannabis just isn't set up that way. Little capability to store energy in the roots and tissue organisation/root structure isn't setup to grow suckers. It won't differentiate that way. 

Feel free to prove me wrong. 

Poor use of the word suckers there on my part,  I had forgotten it is a horticultural term!  I've just been googling and researching!  Every days a school day!

• Like 1