Rdwc guys

Greenfingers94

Hello can any experienced rdwc guys tell me what they use in there systems. I'm wondering what the best nutrients are for simplicity. I'm a believer in less is more and like to keep it simple. I have some experience with various systems. Wilmas with clay. Rtw with coco. Dabbled in aqua farms. I have had success with previous systems but fancied the rdwc. Although it has been a few years. So brushing up again. I have always been around canna as that what people who I learned from used but just want to hear everyone's opinions. I have been looking at the GH trio with cali magic and great white /hydroguard. Just to keep it simple no 2 parts etc. My space is roughly around 3m x 2m and I'm going to do a 6 pot rdwc with res. And hailea water chiller. Looking forward to replys. Thanks guys 

Ionic grow, bloom, growth tech silicone, and ph down. canna cal mag.  thats all you need imho. 

canna and vitalink nutrient lines also work well imo

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 3

Ionic was the line I used for aqua farm a few years ago. So is silicone what you use to keep your pyhtiums etc at bay? I know the nutrient temp is a big issue with pythium hence why using a chiller. A like the sound of it mate nice and simple. Thanks for the reply bad Billybob good man 

• Like 1

the silicone is to help with temps, but is more for the cell wall strength of the plant, and it helps them uptake nutrient apparently. its also usefull to use as ph up.

it seems to work for me anyway

• Like 2

Keep it mineral 

Keep it sterile 

Keep it simple.

Start with nice water.

I'm using House and Garden atm....I have to cal mag it tho in the beginning with a nitrogen heavy cal mag despite what the rep says or it shows all three within days. 

Advanced nutrients are effective but stupidly overpriced and some of there products are just bollox full stop or water.

Plant magic was effective but drop the hydro silicon at week4 imo and don't use there pk.

GHE or terra aquatica are standard fare tbh and my next nutrients as I want more control of NPK....I used them before with success but not did not complete the cycle due to another unrelated issue...I was nervous not adding the cal mag but the rep was insistent its not required and for .... say ten weeks (4flower) I can attest to that.

• Like 2

Thanks for your input zen ken. Appreciated. Do you not bother with any beneficial bacteria or peroxide. Keep seeing people using one or the other. Thanks again

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 3

H202 and stay sterlie to avoid problems imo....the water should be too cold and changed too often for bennies to colonise properly.

If bennies can breed so can baddies 

:skin_up:

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Greenfingers94 said:

Yeah that makes sense mate. Thanks

The bennies are supposed to out compete the baddies but its a game not worth playing when the bennies are so hard to keep alive in our setting.

I could point u towards a study done only a few years back where they provided evidence that most bacteria products had a shelf life of months from the factory....in one example of advanced nutrients it had nothing in it.....it was just water.....for ninety quid a fucking bottle !!! But then the owner (big Mike) is a pedo so what do u expect.

I did experiment with bennies this time cause I'm a gluton for punishment but to begin with i would stay sterlie and avoid problems until you get the hang of it.

Just finishing of my rebuild....man those pipes needed cleaning.....the water garden is nearly ready to accept beans again lol

• Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 11:01 AM, zen-ken said:

The bennies are supposed to out compete the baddies but its a game not worth playing when the bennies are so hard to keep alive in our setting.

I could point u towards a study done only a few years back where they provided evidence that most bacteria products had a shelf life of months from the factory....in one example of advanced nutrients it had nothing in it.....it was just water.....for ninety quid a fucking bottle !!! But then the owner (big Mike) is a pedo so what do u expect.

I did experiment with bennies this time cause I'm a gluton for punishment but to begin with i would stay sterlie and avoid problems until you get the hang of it.

Just finishing of my rebuild....man those pipes needed cleaning.....the water garden is nearly ready to accept beans again lol

Thanks man. Really informative. What would you recommend as a sterile routine? Eg how many ml per litre each feed. Etc. Thanks mate looking forward to hearing back 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Greenfingers94 said:

Thanks man. Really informative. What would you recommend as a sterile routine? Eg how many ml per litre each feed. Etc. Thanks mate looking forward to hearing back 

I use silver bullet...usually at the lowest dose on the bottle or hydrogaurd....never both.

On my last run I was experimenting so used neither and just let the chiller do its work.

Advising someone new to a RDWC is always difficult as the systems can be a pain....but massively rewarding and I don't want to give bad advice.

Staying sterile can save u a lot of headaches....the failed RDWC diaries always start with "i added this Organic stuff and" 

manicbotanix.com is a great read to understand the ppm of each element required to stay in the ranges  and expands on the points above.

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 1

This topic has come up recently and I see the merit  tbf as my some of my root zone is not in the water and is not as cold.....as long as it can be administered correctly I believe this is where the inoculation they provide could be invaluable.

Members opinions who I value greatly have offered a number of alternatives to adding bennies directly to the main system i have no doubt they have used successfully...(including the bio filter idea i really liked and the  mammoth p soak)....hydrogaurd works but again  my anecdotes are not worth squat...i like science.....as much as I like to ramble on cause I love my RDWC I have watched commercial grows on youtube using bennies so please take my advice as a light discussion on how I have successfully completed RDWC in the past and maybe not the future.

:oldtoker::skin_up:

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 1

Like Ken i run silver bullet in my systems, ive just started using it thanks to a little bit of rot on one of my plants roots.

only reason im using it is because ive no chiller for the shed system. i have a chiller in my room system, and i would really advise using one. 

i dont use beneficials in my systems, but i do use them in bubblers.

if you keep res temps under 22/23 degrees you shouldnt really have any issues, and like Ken also said, avoid organics like the plague, and check your nutrient bottles before using them to be sure there is no organic ingredients in it.

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 2

Thanks for the reply troops. Top men. I have had root rot in an aqua farm before. Skunnered me. Horrible stuff. Cheers again guys for your input 

• Like 2