There's gotta be something wrong with 27% THC...hasn't there?

zeroG

As the title suggests. Theres gotta be something wrong with 27% thc...right? Come on! I remeber the days of being blocked, I mean digital on squidgy black...were going back a bit, but thats what i refer to as 'conventional weed' - not a skunk, or superstrain etc...afgani/maybe a leb, whatever but probably N African/Arab...Grown on a mountainside by the Taliban or whoever

I also used to get proper greasy green, we used to call it anyway, sticky icky icky, rich smelling, nothing even in the near vicinity of skunk...again, half a spliff.....and blotto.

These strains were plenty potent enough, and are now still - if you can find them, and are in the region of maybe only 10-12% on a good day, more likely to be 8-10%..in the poorly grown fields 'for the infidels mwahahahahahaha' .

I have some potent shit going on right now. Its a sativa, and I have to be careful when Im smoking bud tips of this monster, otherwise its fucking cloud cuckoo, in a fairly unpleasant way... i like sats, Ias it happens I have 4 different strains, all sat dom in my room, I lie the creativity, clarity etc...

Why would you need 27% and more importantly why are breeders going gung ho for madness levels? - Is there really a need for this level? Im not biased, just interested in opinion and need? Or is it just driven like mobile phones to be bigger, faster, longer etc etc?

• Like 5

extraction ratios increase for a start .

some people need the high end thc scale

some people like to be high

three reasons off the top of me head chap .

• Like 11

I suspect a full spectrum analysis would show that modern strains have high thc but probably lack in some of the lesser known compounds and terpenes.  That's the reason why I think some older strains can win hands down.

Take Ot1s work as an example.  He bred for effects, not flavors or numbers.

• Like 13

One  other important point to consider is that these THC percentage figures are generally meaningless, lets say, for example, some seed companies might send in, say 10 samples of a specific strain for testing-of which  9 might prove to be hovering around 12-14% THC content -  but the 10th is a freak and hits 25%, which figure do you think they will use in their advertising bumph?

If im honest, ive not really noticed that i get more stoned on higher supposed percentage THC strains or that they are  feeling any more potent, its more of an American thing, or "mines better than yours, cos its higher thc percentage" mentality.

I also noticed that higher thc content strains are generally lower CBD content strains, and in my own experience, its a combination of both, plus terpines and other elements which combine to give the full effect of the strain.

i dont take any notice of these THC figures anyway, its meaningless drivel, ive been wrecked, like totally mangled  on weed that would probably struggle to hit 14% thc content, there is sooo much more to it than THC content, as indicated by Pheonix, above. 

• Like 19

Agreed, in the main... But supply only satisfies demand...If no one wanted it, no one would grow it...How would you know you wanted it?

The counter argument is usage and tollerance, I know all about that as a 35yr toker, I also know that just changing the strain gets you high again, regardless of THC content...

@vince noir rock n roll starExtraction doesnt increse with potency, thats just the compounds that up the %tage - you dont get any more volume, that depends on the plant itself, and how much usable compound it makes genetically...yes you may get more quantity if the strain makes more resin, but it only makes the weed stronger by concentrating the extractions, the plant itself will still be as strong whether the trichs be on the leaf/bud matter, or in a silicon jar...

@PhoenixI agree with that part already as our 'strippped down' weeds are weaker and less full anyway. The sytematic breeding out of the smells and terpenes to avoid authority/detection have drastically changed the weed we ingest, flavonids and terps are the biggest part of the experience making up a large part of the 'stone' experience - THC and CBD themselves dont have an aroma profile, so adding those numbers up make the weed sound potent, but the liklihood of it being potent is reduced significantly, I have noticed anyway...

Im, sure that poeople do want to get high lol 

but i probably agree mostly with bbb, cause we been smoking some 'classified' 28% thc weedage, form somewhere legal, printed on the packet - bought for this reason alone. We smoked the whole bag and concluded that the smell was mininal, it tasted proper bland, and it was strong, no doubt...but we're also hardened tokers, and we all concluded that it was no better, and a whole lot worse that most of the stuff we see etc over the year. On top of what we grow as well.

Ive got a 28%ter in the draw as we speak, whether I can achieve that in the grow remains to be seen - I also have no means to test it past my own ingestion,  but I have the genes to achieve it!, Peyote WiFi apparently. Supposed to be the highest classified THC content available at the moment, so I read...and most folks who have grown it dont dispute that claim...Once again, we will see...And just for curiosity. I have no personal grail quest to grow it, and to be frank Im probably not looking forward to it all that much...Probably for the same reason I have a carrier bag full of shatter/wax/oil/bho etc, in a box in the garage. It completely fucks my tollerance and I prefer to vape flowers for the whole experience anyway...and stay happily higher and more completely baked because of it...

Still not getting the exponential THC increases, regardless of explanation and reason...There really is no need. tsk tsk tsk lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zeroG said:

.yes you may get more quantity if the strain makes more resin

so my point stands .money talks in business ,if you can extract more because of higher trichome production then its economic sense to grow those strains ..

we arent limited by thc extractions being super strong ..add terpenes in and it changes .

you asked why high thc was a ting .money ..

• Like 3

when making oil or bubble hash the most yield I got from indica strains-indica dominant ,the THC levels can be 20% but when you comapre sativa strain 20% you notice the difference-hence the THC is a bit misleading as there are other cannabioids in play what makes the effect different even if you have same % .It isn't the same as 40% bottle of gin and 40% whisky

• Like 4

@vince noir rock n roll staryou said 'extraction ratios increase'...and we were referring to higher levels of THC - as per my original post...my point still stands. Higher THC doesnt produce more resin, the resin is the same amount, its just stronger, the THC %tage is higher, the resin amount the same, or genetically controlled by the cultivar, and its growing.... again when you look at legal commercial markets, oils and extractions are all fairly the same bar method, people arent getting a qtr of the amount for the same buck cause the plant is a low yielder say, likewise theyre not getting 3 gms for the price of 1 if it makes a lot of extract...

There isnt really an extract market in the uk to copmpare or quote, and Ive never met anyone who was bleating about 'so and so concentrates' like they do stateside...and heaven forbid mentioning 20/30quid a gm for oil in a 20quid schwag bag marketplace...which the UK has been for years on years as a non legal country. In all fairness I have no idea what any going rate is for anything as for the last 30 years or so all i hear is 'gearsay' and im insulated as a home grower, I dont even care enough to ask - , I dont even share my weed past 6 people who know. Ive even bought weed when out with people in pubs, so not to give the game away lol

@McHazyI get more excited about conventional strains these days, terps preserved, flavonids largely unfucked with, better and more rounded stone, less paranoia, shaking, strungoutness. Couple that with a good organic growout, its tough to beat, even in the sub 15% thc arena. Im not overly nostalgic as I have keepers from strains in the 2010s, as well as 90s etc but I have noticed a movement in weed generally. Im stoned for less time. Its more intense, sat or Indi and over quicker and I ingest far more. I actively manage my tollerance too and get stoned properly, im not smashing bowls all day or vaping jars and jars. I get high, and enjoy the full spectrum of the stone, rarely do i top up. I tend to take more in one go than come back repeatedly as I like the whole experinece.

Interesting to see diff peeps take on it :)

Just now, zeroG said:

Higher THC doesnt produce more resin, the resin is the same amount, its just stronger, the THC %tage is higher,

can you prove it ?

trichomes are the vehicle by which thc is expressed ..the plant may have a lot of thcva in it but that has to be converted .

increased thc =increase in trichome production .

• Like 2

We'll have to agree to differ. More oils expressed still dont make it stronger by volume alone, which was the original discussion point. If you want to expand on that, cool - but for the point we were discussing,

"youre quite wrong Mr Chololmley-Warner!!!" (Harry Enfield, Association football)

Its not stronger cause theres just more...if youre ingesting yes of course...but one bottle of whiskey is the same strength as the barell it came from dude...the volume doseant make it 45 proof lol its still 40 :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vince noir rock n roll star said:

can you prove it ?

trichomes are the vehicle by which thc is expressed ..the plant may have a lot of thcva in it but that has to be converted .

increased thc =increase in trichome production .

zeroG is correct,you can have trichomes but the bud can be very 'mellow'

i had some sativas and hardly any trichomes but the bud felt like a tab of acid,yes THCV is probably the main factor there

lot of indicas naturally contain CBD where's sativas landraces not. Having said that Scot from Rare dankness has a Haze with 6% CBD so that is possible but rare

new studies from Bedrocan show CBD increases THC levels in blood plazma two fold

it is very complex subject:smokin:

• Like 3

@Graywolf

CBD has different structure to THC crystal,I have noticed this

what about THCV and other cannabioids?are they 'crystals' too?

just curious and think you know the best

6 minutes ago, joba said:

zeroG is correct,you can have trichomes but the bud can be very 'mellow'

i had some sativas and hardly any trichomes but the bud felt like a tab of acid,yes THCV is probably the main factor there

lot of indicas naturally contain CBD where's sativas landraces not. Having said that Scot from Rare dankness has a Haze with 6% CBD so that is possible but rare

new studies from Bedrocan show CBD increases THC levels in blood plazma two fold

it is very complex subject:smokin:

is that thc or thcva causing the effect ..converting when it gets to the kidney /liver though .

as for cbd reaching 6%,dutch passion has a high cbd varieties as do a lot of companies these days .

correct it is a very complex subject .

• Like 2