fungus gnats

MDP

• 2 weeks later...

MDP,

What you say it’s so true!!! They’re a real plague. I saw river sand being used to prevent them to reach the roots (both at bottom and top of the pots)… but in any case, they are very complicated to deal with. Products like Gnatrol or similar don’t seam to be fully effective.

With me, I was forced to get rid of all plants (including home plants)… but it worked 100%. Not even 1 little fly around these days.

My best wishes to you.

• 5 weeks later...

i have also found a few of the pesticides to be non-effective as such.

good job my problem was only small and i didnt lose to much of my crop from infestation.

I've had a recent infestation of the buggers. :rolleyes:

Put a load of sticky traps in there which has cut numbers, but i've noticed that they are also gettin' stuck on the trichs of me White Rhino!

post-5274-1120932861.jpg

Edited by Muppet Paster

• 1 month later...
Guest Lola Bud

I got gnats and mosqito things before the pots went in. Treated every pot-plant in the house with hypoasis as percaution. Sticky traps are a must!

I had the little bastards last grow for the first time.

Way I sorted it was to put an inch of sharp sand, available from builders merchants, in 25kg bags etc. Dry it out first if wet.

Then get fly paper, the really sticky stuff, and cut it up and tack onto pieces of offcut wood and place around the Grow Room. That way you kill the adults by sticky-sticky and suffocate the little bastards as they try and get out of your compost. Job done.

Another thing you can do if you have an enclosed Grow Enviro with direct inline active inlets is to cover the inlet ducting with voile material, or granny/nosey neighbour peeper material. Does not affect the intake too much and stops the little bastards from getting in in the first place.

Edited by The_Embalmer

Guest Lola Bud

Heyee, nice one The E! Does that work on most medium based pests? Like thrips and springtails? I hate all bugs, those gnats love to bite me!!!

Works for what I said.

Never experienced the others to date. Hope I do not.

Guess that if you do not let them in, then you will not have a problem.

EmB.

Edited by The_Embalmer

Should have added, unless you did not suss it, was to add the sand to the top of the compost.

Soz, incase.

Watering and nute feed can be continued as usual for duration of grow.

EmB.

Guest Lola Bud

Bugs are everywhere, coming in open windows, and following you into bright light. I know what to do next time regarding fungus gnats and eggs now.

I've mentioned in another thread about bringing in some infested soil from clones. Funny thing is, none of the owners knew about it. Should check your soil regularly, especially after a good watering.