Hempy ok but leaving pot in runoff isn't?

OrangeThumb

Just now, Billy2Hats said:

Doesn't the first bit contradict the second bit? How far up the container was the drain hole?

around 2 inches not counting the 'feet' of the plastic pop bottle

• Like 1

Just now, Mort said:

Is the bottle clear plastic?

either green bottles with large sticker left on or covered in tape, also havea couple green witrh no sticker. rotten one had sticker in green bottle

here is a pic i hope  it loads

B3-A85-D72-5792-41-D2-8930-069-F091-F869

• Like 2

It could be the tape or the labels have water behind and that’s caused issues to then happen maybe or it could be they weren’t sterile properly 

Edited by Arthur Mix
  • Like 2

Thanks good info guys

I didn't check the root structure sorry i threw it straight in bin. there was very few roots in the bottom for its age though.

I'll lightproof my bottles better from now on. Actually thinking of using normal square pots and then pot up to 10L hempies. 

And thanks Arthur also I'll make sure to clean better in future if that can cause that. And also, by water behind tape/lable, you mean at the hole area right?

• Like 1

@OJAE One other thing to watch for is the reservoir temps getting too high..that can also encourage nasty fungal/mould/ type crap in the pots and inevitably lead to plant death... 

Edited by Billy2Hats
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, OJAE said:

i put it down to me not watering enough and the plant wans't vigorous enough to drink the res dry?

I put it down to you for being a bellend and using 7up bottles. lol  Honestly, what the fooook are you doing? :russian:   

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Saddam said:

I put it down to you for being a bellend and using 7up bottles. lol  Honestly, what the fooook are you doing? :russian:   

He said it was a 4 node plant so it's not like it needs a big container...nowt wrong with improvising a hempy bucket out of any waterproof container (and recycling plastic in these ways is always good)...I'm sure I've previously used chopped plastic bottles in this way before to make mini hempy buckets...though in fairness they weren't 7 up bottles...

... @Saddam from what I'm seeing it's you being the bellend...why not make your point constructively? What should he be using to start off hempy buckets and why are 7 up bottles bad?

Used 21ltr black buckets for years perlite vermiculite hole drilled two inches up from bottom plants go in once rooted in small blocks. Water every other day usually peak summer when here bigger can be daily usually aim for about 30% run off to flush Any water old nutrient out flush thru with water once a week maybe every two weeks depending on how lazy we feel.

TS

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Billy2Hats said:

What should he be using to start off hempy buckets and why are 7 up bottles bad?

How about using a 50p plant pot?   Then transfer the plant to, idk, a fucking bucket? lol  The clue is in the name, Hempy BUCKET, it's not Hempy 7up bottles  or Hempy tupperware boxes. lol 

Incidentally, plant pots aren't transparent for a reason. 

16 minutes ago, Saddam said:

How about using a 50p plant pot?   

Because they tend to have drainage holes in the bottom so are completely unsuitable for making a mini hempy bucket...also (for example) 2l tesco mineral water bottles are only 17p (or were when I used them) and are free (like pop bottles) if you've actually already bought them for the contents...

..also very easy to cut to size (and light proof them for anyone that ever watched Blue Peter)

16 minutes ago, Saddam said:

Then transfer the plant to, idk, a fucking bucket? lol  The clue is in the name, Hempy BUCKET, it's not Hempy 7up bottles  or Hempy tupperware boxes. lol 

...."hempy buckets" refer to a style/ technique of growing utilising waterproof conrainers...literal "buckets" are not obligatory for using this technique particularly if you are starting off quite a few plants in a confined space....

Edited by Billy2Hats

23 minutes ago, Billy2Hats said:

unsuitable for making a mini hempy bucket

Nobody makes mini Hempy buckets with the intention of potting up into larger Hempy buckets. lol What fucking planet are you on? 

Perhaps I should build a mini NFT table, then transfer the plants to a larger NFT table. lol  

On 23/05/2021 at 9:12 AM, OJAE said:

around 2 inches not counting the 'feet' of the plastic pop bottle

I think this is where your problem is...2 inches is probably good for a bucket but a pop bottle will be similar but dimensionally smaller so 2 inches is probably way too high...when I used cut-off pop bottles I'm sure the drainage hole would have been less about an inch including the feet... remember the roots don't "drink" from the reservoir but rather the nutrient wicks up the medium and the network of roots in the substrate take up the nutrients....just make sure you water much more regularly when the drain hole is lower..

• Like 4