OS recommendation

Clumsy

3 hours ago, Clumsy said:

@vince noir rock n roll star yep it's not the most powerful :) 

4gb ram, old i5(m540) 500gb HDD 

So I'm going to try the Lubuntu 18.04.5 (64bit) think that matches

Thanks everyone, see you in the I've bricked my laptop thread lol

:oldtoker:

You could also look at 'Ubuntu Mate' I'm pretty sure your specs. will cope with that. I'm running full fat Ubuntu on a laptop with 4GB RAM & it's serviceable.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NezA said:

Can't believe no one has recommended tails yet hahahaha

new one is out now ..great for penetration testing and messing with stuff ..ill leave it at that ..

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NezA said:

Can't believe no one has recommended tails yet hahahaha

:D

Or, OP, if you'd like a nice easy to use bit of software that compartmentalises things try this:

https://firejail.wordpress.com/

I presume it's in the default debian-ish repositories, but not sure.

sudo apt-get install gthumb ...easiest picture resizer and colour adjuster ive come across

easier than using the command line tool mogrify?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, vince noir rock n roll star said:

new one is out now ..great for penetration testing and messing with stuff ..ill leave it at that ..

+1

Absolutely. If you want to Duck & Cover this would be the way to go.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Themadhippy said:

easier than using the command line tool mogrify?

New to me, and looks fuckin' easy - which I fully approve of. Yay for abstraction - pile em up!

Nice one.

4 hours ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

You know :stoned: , really, if we had any sense, we'd be using FreeBSD.

Ditch Linux! Don't tell Linus!

CentOS all the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lux_Interior said:

Ditch Linux! Don't tell Linus!

CentOS all the way.

:D

On a server, mebbe - bit too conservative for playing with/dev.....  day-to-day Fedora FTW!

....Fight you in the car park at midnight :P

--------------------------------------------------

Thread:

It's all been a bit predictable so far, if we're honest. I link this just cos it's a bit different, for the geeks who may find it interesting... I've not dug into it proper beyond fucking with the package manager in a 'normal' distro, as it requires learning another scripting language and right now I'm breaking my head elsewhere, but the concept is an interesting one. A link will do a better job of explaining it...

https://nixos.org/guides/how-nix-works.html

....Cos, y'know, apt/yum/dnf/pip/cargo/flatpack/DPKG/npm/snap etc etc etc etc is not enough!

(fuck you, Linux!)

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

Aw, man, proper message board. I'll have a lurk, thanks :)

Notice the similarly in terms of topics in /dev/null to Free-For-All? :skin_up:.... The Medium is Message :stoned:  (either that or we're all just bots!)

If you want a Linux Openbox desktop experience to fully liven up old hardware that is pretty much configured for you, as in, it works for your Mum. I would highly recommend:https://www.bunsenlabs.org/

It used to be Crunchbang #!, tint2, conky,etc. There is even a i386 version so that box in th attic might work again!

Edited by Lux_Interior
I can't spell when I'm stoned
  • Like 1

@Lux_Interior

Thanks, Lux - you're touching on an issue close to my heart there. For a long time I've advocated for the re-use of hardware instead of just mindlessly buying new (I live that ethos myself, in true linux dweeb style-e: Thinkpad/centres)

.... of course, though, it hasn't often been taken on board! Long path of fail that one :D

• Like 1

On 05/12/2020 at 8:32 AM, j.o.i.n.t said:

@Lux_Interior

Thanks, Lux - you're touching on an issue close to my heart there. For a long time I've advocated for the re-use of hardware instead of just mindlessly buying new (I live that ethos myself, in true linux dweeb style-e: Thinkpad/centres)

.... of course, though, it hasn't often been taken on board! Long path of fail that one :D

My main Linux box was born when an Acer mobo died. I bought an ASRock replacement, salvaged 8GB RAM and a quad core AMD off eBay. Added a 4GB Graphics card and installed Ubuntu & I haven't looked back. My son uses it daily and I've never showed him how to.

Woof Woof Grrrr.... http://puppylinux.com/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lux_Interior said:

My main Linux box was born when an Acer mobo died. I bought an ASRock replacement, salvaged 8GB RAM and a quad core AMD off eBay. Added a 4GB Graphics card and installed Ubuntu & I haven't looked back. My son uses it daily and I've never showed him how to.

Woof Woof Grrrr.... http://puppylinux.com/

Excellent, get them while they're young :D I have slight envy, my son gives no shits and I've been putting it in front of him his whole life!

I started around 00/01 *nix wise, and failed failed failed - think I finally got on board proper with Ubuntu 4.1 around 04 (I think, all getting misty). The terminal was always my fascination (probably due to starting on 48k speccy), but omg what a learning curve it was...

Things have gotten easier imo for general use, and not just due to sticking with it - but I've found since systemD, once again, it's become slightly 'black box' again cli wise... which is where the BSD craving is coming from. It's more understandable.

I find with sticking with Linux, it's not so much computing that you get better at....It's problem solving, differentiating stale from current info, and using a search engine better :D

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
  • Like 1