OS recommendation

Clumsy

Hey All 

I've got an old laptop that I'd like to use for resizing pics and posting.

Can anyone recommended a free OS? It's currently got an old distro of Linux Lite on.

Thanks for any input,

:oldtoker:

• Like 1

I use parallells to run ubuntu (Linux but friendly) on my mac have no complaints but there are lighter versions of it if you need them - I do allocate a lot of RAM(16G) to it though but if its too resource heavy you can get the light version

• Like 3

if thats all your going to use the lappy for then id bung something like lubuntu ..a lighter flavour of ubuntu on it ..

even pinguy lite would be ok i should think .just make sure you download the correct architecture ..i386 i686 etc .

• Like 3

firstly before recommending too many distros it may help to give us the specs of the lappy ..it might be one of them 1gb ram 4gb hdd ones lol ..if so puppy linux will run ,

• Like 1

youll be fine with the 64bit one ..the i386 though isnt being upgraded so it stops at 18.04 for that one ..theres a few desktop variations you can try with that one ..lxde works fine for me .but an i5 should cope with any of them no problem.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

You know :stoned: , really, if we had any sense, we'd be using FreeBSD.

I run FreeBSD on a few old PC's I only use for file storage and server stuff, I am a Development Team Alumni from when I was learning my trade, these projects are an awesome way to make a contibution and learn something practicable. :yep:

Edited by Exhale
  • Like 1

Just now, Exhale said:

I run FreeBSD on a few old PC's I only use for file storage and server stuff, I am a Core Team Alumni from when I was learning my trade, these projects are an awesome way to make a contibution and learn something practicable. :yep:

Cool :)

I've never used it 'in battle', only played with it. So...cohesive. The 'it's a whole package' thing makes a system which just seems to fit together better than the chaos which is the various Linux distros.

Home network will be based on it when I get bored of my router. :)

• Like 1

sudo apt-get install gthumb ...easiest picture resizer and colour adjuster ive come across .

• Like 1