Cleaning kief, and/or turning it into hash.

OrangeThumb

I have a couple of old camera-film tubs of kief. A cpl years ago, one dropped on the ground... more specifically, onto a dirty dustpan (of Dustpan and Brush fame).

My friend kept a level head and tried to rescue what she could, but I'm put off using it because I imagine it's contaminated with other dirt and dust that I can't see.

I initially thought about doing an ISO extraction but some sites suggested I'd lose out overall in terms of quantity (Unless that's literally just loss of green plant matter...)

At the same time, I personally don't really like using kief, a block of hash would be lots more convenient.
Would be nice to make at least one of these kief tubs into a bar of something more solid.

I considered getting a kief press, but taking into account that I also need to clean aforementioned keif, then there might be a more perfect method that kills 2 birds.

Anyone got an idea of what they might do,
to clean the kief and/or make hash with some?

Can anyone confirm whether or not kief > hash = overall loss of useful/active product?

• Like 1

I'd clean it using dry sift screens I already have these on hand though and they're not exactly cheap. But if you want to get into hash making longer term they're well worth the investment. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NezA said:

I'd clean it using dry sift screens I already have these on hand though and they're not exactly cheap. But if you want to get into hash making longer term they're well worth the investment. 

I used a dry sift screen to get the kief in the first place, I guess you're suggesting a set with decreasing micron levels or something?

I can't actually see flecks of dirt, but I'm just not confident that it's clean from dirt and dust that may be the same size as the crystals, which is my only issue with sifting... maybe I'm imagining something that isn't actually there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OrangeThumb said:

I used a dry sift screen to get the kief in the first place, I guess you're suggesting a set with decreasing micron levels or something?

I can't actually see flecks of dirt, but I'm just not confident that it's clean from dirt and dust that may be the same size as the crystals, which is my only issue with sifting... maybe I'm imagining something that isn't actually there.

If it was me I'd run it back through the screens to remove any larger unwanted particles then use static tech to further separate and hope it works for separating the type of contaminants that may be present.

For me the last step would be into a 25 micron bag and press it into rosin.

I'd be happy to smoke what comes out at the end of all that, I doubt there'd be much if any contaminants left at that point.

Edited by NezA
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, NezA said:

You can get printing screens off the Ama zon pretty cheap in all kinds of micron sizes, i got one last year and still use it now for my trims, worth a look if you don't want to break the bank:yep:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

You can get printing screens off the Ama zon pretty cheap in all kinds of micron sizes, i got one last year and still use it now for my trims, worth a look if you don't want to break the bank:yep:

That's exactly what I use I have a set of 4 A3 sized screens, which all in was about £140 I think.

Definitely cheaper than the Canna tax options that are out there though

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. That static sifting is brand new to me, might have to try it. I'll probably throw the remaining 'contaminated' bits in with the trim for ISO hash.

I believe my screen is 30micron. The printing screens look cool, I'll have to translate the threadcounts to micron to figure them out.

Are you saying as a final step you'd apply pressure to the keif whilst it's in a small micron bag? Can you expand on that bit?