Wilma systems, EC readings and nutrients question

Yuzuf Paradizo

Hello there

Looking for some advice please. 

I am about to start my third hydro grow in a Wilma 8 pot system bought in 2011.

Previously and pretty successfully I had followed a feed chart in the Growell catalogue.

This time round and following reading a couple of articles on importance of staying on top of EC I have made a rather impulsive purchase of a Bluelab Truncheon, however back home and ‘out of the box’, I have a couple of questions…

Firstly, the Wilma involves completely weekly reservoir change.  Following a daily EC reading is it basically a case of adjusting basic nutrients (Samurai G&B in this case) or water in the reservoir as necessary, or would other aspects of the feed regime need adjusting maybe daily?

Secondly, particularly into flowering, moving plants off the top of the reservoir for water/ nutes etc is highly disruptive once a week let alone throughout the week, assuming a daily EC check and necessary adjustments of water and nutes, is it usually possible to manage all this through the small(ish) hole where the dripper pipe feeds into the reservoir or will plants need to be moved around more than usual within the usual weekly res change?

Basically, how do you guys using a Wilma get on with using EC wands like Bluelab and managing nutrients thereafter?  Obviously, I want the best for the plants and would like to understand this technology but is it practical for use with my old Wilma or should I just stick with the feed chart?

Any thoughts much appreciated!

YP

• Like 1

Can’t speak for Wilma as I’m growing in NFT, but I don’t follow feed charts, I use my BL truncheon and make my feeds up going by EC. 
When cuttings go in the tank, I feed them at 0.6EC and raise the EC 0.1 or 0.2 depending on the EC and PH readings building them up to what should be their maximum EC value without over doing it. I probably keep them a little hungry, as I’m always shit scared of over feeding them and it’s easier to put right if they  are a little underfed. PH readings only seem to change if my plants get stressed.

I mix my nutes up in 2 20l buckets as I like to let them stand with air stones in for at least 24h to expire chlorine from my tap water and let the water warm up a bit and it’s easier than bending in the tent and risk bashing my plants. I add nutes and check ec as I go letting it settle before  adding more, when ec is correct i ph my nute mix from 5.5-6 ph, then I just syphon water straight into the tank with a short piece of hose. If you can keep your res outside the tent this isn’t a problem for wilma.

So far on my current grow, PH has been stable and EC has only been decreasing, happy days :skin_up:

I do flush all the nutes out, but not every week, more like every 7-10 days or as necessary.

I have a calendar for my grow and record, water level, PH and EC. PH and EC are important, but just as important are water levels. If they stop going down your plants aren’t drinking pointing to a problem, this is usually accompanied by changes in EC and PH levels.

If you haven’t got one I would recommend buying a blue lab ph meter to. A good workman doesn’t blame his tools, he invests in them :yep:

I have this hydro chart that is useful if you run into problems;

large.BAF6021F-E889-4F71-954A-128CE367F090.png

• Like 1

Flamedodger, thanks so much for this.

Off to read it again and process as I think I'd really got the wrong end of the stick thinking I'd incorporate into a weekly feed plan, but really...thank you buddy

@Yuzuf Paradizo

you do not need to completely drain every week,I only drain week before chop when I suck out 95% of the water and EC is 0.2-0.4.My tp water EC is 0.0

when your EC goes up you add water less feed,happens from week 5 flower usually

keep your EC max 2-2.2 and you will be good,set the timer for 4x 15min(every 3h over 12h lights on)

get an air stonbe to mix nutes and oxyginate water

• Like 1

Hi Joba..so no need to move plants or change tank right up until flush?

Ha! I was showering with the reservoir once a week before. Everything completely cleaned and changed weekly. 

So to be clear your adding to a nutrient mix throughout the grow rather than replacing afresh every week? 

Thanks again

@Yuzuf ParadizoI run 4 wilma sets: 1st in veg tent, 2nd 8 potter in my 1//cm/200cm tent and 2x 5 potters in 120cm/240cm. Apart of that 2nd one i do all through that little hole. Every week i pump out rest of the water using the same pump that feeds the plants unless its very little water left-then I just pour new water with nutes. Before the flush I pump out as much as I can and then put some fresh water and pump it out again so there are next to nothing out of nutes left. 

My ec meter has a HOLD button that makes reading stay on the screen so its easier to read it. 

• Like 1

Thanks doom. Also, a relatively hard water area so keen to change the res and prevent build ups as much as possible

Cheers