Wesland New Horizon

speedwell68

Hi, I have just seen this at my local garden centre.  I have been using Jack's Magic but wanted to try something more sustainable that doesn't contain Peat.  I got some to try.  Has anyone had any experience of it?

Only chucked that westland stuff on the allotment, it looks more like beaten wood. I like sylvagrow sustainable, no peat. It holds moisture and drains well, it's even better with a bit of large perlite. Low nutrient content and buffered to  ph 6.5, ideal, easy to read plants in it.

utter shite stuff ..very unbalanced nutrient wise ..not suitable really for canna ..from experience unless its the green bag as opposed to the red one ..red ones rubbish

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vince noir rock n roll star said:

utter shite stuff ..very unbalanced nutrient wise ..not suitable really for canna ..from experience unless its the green bag as opposed to the red one ..red ones rubbish

what do you mean by unbalanced mate .I had to use another Westlands product on my last 2 grows, and they were rubbish,I know its the compost I wouldn't have used it the second time but for lockdown

the red bag is for veg ..the npk ratios are wrong for canna .youll notice it early in veg and in flower ..it seems to run out of nitrogen and has too much potassium from what i recall ..

jacks magic works much easier and forgiving .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vince noir rock n roll star said:

the red bag is for veg ..the npk ratios are wrong for canna .youll notice it early in veg and in flower ..it seems to run out of nitrogen and has too much potassium from what i recall ..

It was Westland Multi-Purpose Compost With John Innes -I was using ,I had read some reviews on gardening sites saying some bags were too hot others with low nutes, I was just wondering if this was a common thing with all Westlands products

Well I have just potted up 12 cuttings/seedlings into it and TBH I had no twiggyness.  TBH my problem is that I live in the arse end of nowhere and I am limited to what I can buy.  I think in future I am going to get some coco and dry amendments and mix my own.  If they show any signs of deficiency I will have to give them some extra.

On 08/11/2020 at 1:50 PM, vince noir rock n roll star said:

The green version is for vegetables..

Edited by Smokebelch
Removed external link
  • Like 1

Using this on current grow with some coir mixed in. (I want to go Peat free). Using rain water from a butt (soft). I had to add Cal-Mag (or use epsom salt 'cheaper'). I also had a temp. issue (switching to LED, much cooler). I think I've got it sorted now. I'll let you know about "New Horizon", but I've currently changed too many variables to be confident giving info. on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lux_Interior said:

Using this on current grow with some coir mixed in. (I want to go Peat free). Using rain water from a butt (soft). I had to add Cal-Mag (or use epsom salt 'cheaper'). I also had a temp. issue (switching to LED, much cooler). I think I've got it sorted now. I'll let you know about "New Horizon", but I've currently changed too many variables to be confident giving info. on it.

I have been using it in veg for a few days now and I already like it more than the Jack's Magic.  It seems to be more free draining than the Jack's Magic and it seems to hold on to moisture better too.  I am also happy that I am no longer using peat.  I am not going to feed for at least another couple of weeks.  The I am going to use Blattwerk Pure at 50% strength once a week.  I too will add a little cal-mag every other week. 

I converted to LEDs from HPS in April.  TBH, in the summer, LEDs were a god send.  It got to the point that I no longer had to worry about crazy high temps.  But, recently it has come close to being too cold.  In my veg tent I just run the lights 24/0, that keeps it warm enough.  In the flower tent I have installed a little tube heater on a thermostat.

I've found it holds water too well at lower temps (15-20 degrees). I had a little war with Fungus Gnats. I'm using it in my next grow but will add Perlite instead of Coir. I've added an extra heater on a thermostat to keep temps at least 20 degrees & a fan controller to slow air movement down whilst it is cooler. So I'm still getting used to LED over the blazing ball of heat that a HPS produces over the cooler months.