Starting from Seed

Hi All,

So for my second run, I'm going to start from seed. I've got 10 GWS's and I'm currently researching the best method for the equipment I have. So I'm looking for some help on the entire procedure until they are established seedlings.

So, if I could get some feedback on the best method to germinate, the media I should use to put the germinated seed in, do I use a heated propagator? What temps I should be aiming for & is a 250w MH bulb fine to use as the light source?

Thanks 

Edited by Caly
  • Like 2

Alright there @Caly

I'd recommend starting the seeds in a shot glass(I've got vodka shot glasses which are taller than normal shot glasses) of plain tap water(room temp) with a couple of drops of 6% Hydrogen Peroxide(food grade).

Usually within about 12-24 hours a tail will emerge and you can go ahead and transfer once you see this tap root tail.

I've picked this method up from @Fragg who germinates regularly with pretty much 100% success rate.

Transfer into peat pellets or jiffy pellets depending whether they're going in mud or coco/hydro :yep:

or straight into a small pot of light mix or seedling/cutting compost or buffered coco.

Water in well and allow it to become light again before continuing with just water(in soil/compost) or additional root promoter(I use @Intense Nutrients Foundation at this stage).

I aim to keep the root temps around 22C but definitely above 20C at all times,

either using a heated propagator or heat mat(I use an Inkbird heat controller with wifi and rootit heat mat).

I've never used MH,

I used to use a 4x2 foot T5 fluorescent(cool) for seedlings,

now I'm using a 75W dimmable LED quantum board.

I found the T5s easier but I'm only just now learning how much power to use at certain distances to match my environment.

Hope this helps.

:yinyang:

• Like 4

I'm new to the game, but sticking 3 autos seeds straight into moist soil, and keeping them moist with a humidity dome (plastic bottle) did the job for me in under 3 days. 23c soil temp, 24c room temp.

Edited by superfruit
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, ratdog said:

wet up your preferred medium and stick the seeds straight in, set the temps to 25-26oc and see them pop up in 48-72 hours, keep moist/covered

Inside a heated propagator? 

4 hours ago, Shumroom said:

Transfer into peat pellets or jiffy pellets depending whether they're going in mud or coco/hydro :yep:

or straight into a small pot of light mix or seedling/cutting compost or buffered coco.

Water in well and allow it to become light again before continuing with just water(in soil/compost) or additional root promoter(I use @Intense Nutrients Foundation at this stage).

I aim to keep the root temps around 22C but definitely above 20C at all times,

either using a heated propagator or heat mat(I use an Inkbird heat controller with wifi and rootit heat mat).

Thanks mate, are jiffy pellets ok to use with coco? Also, when do I start exposing the germinated seed to light?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Caly said:

Thanks mate, are jiffy pellets ok to use with coco? Also, when do I start exposing the germinated seed to light?

Yeah you can get the coco pellets.

They want the light on just as soon as they're above the surface, 

they don't need it until then but it's often easier/better to have the light on, 

for heat and to avoid growing cress :)

Hope this helps. 

:yinyang:

• Like 2

I just bang em in the medium (compost for me) and they go under the grow light, usually 2 or 3 days and they're up and away. A 250 MH is perfect for seedlings.

I used a heated propagator once, it doesn't seem to have a thermostat, it's on or off, it killed everything :crybaby:

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, ratdog said:

es, thats fine, of in bags on a heat mat, i would bother soaking them but that's just me

Thanks mate, so just to clarify, you wouldn't bother soaking? Also, what propagating media would you recommend for going into coco?

11 minutes ago, Caly said:

Thanks mate, so just to clarify, you wouldn't bother soaking? Also, what propagating media would you recommend for going into coco?

no soak, and if you are using coco, i think most here just go straight into coco mate, no need for anything else, just be ready to feed once the plant has used it's reserves.

i think maybe some soak the coco in a 1/4 feed or something like that? maybe have a look around the diary section, sweet seeds diaries might be the best place

Just now, Caly said:

Thanks mate, how long roughly, week or 2?

i don't know mate, i use compost with feed in it so that's why i recommend looking at a coco grower in the sweet seeds comp, some of them give awesome detail

• Like 1

@carlyI popped my seeds once germinated in canna coco, I didnt buff it and judt mixed with perlite and started the canna feeding guide from day 1 as coco didn't have any nutrients, they took off quite well but truth is 3 never popped out the soil and 3 did. Just annoying when you spend that little extra on feminised seeds! Took 3 cuttings and all doing well

Edited by Firstimegrower_420
  • Like 1