Extension leads

Funk P

Instead of putting sockets in the attic is having extension leads plugged in the bedroom leading up too the attic safe? The setup wouldn't be big at all 250w hps 2 plant set up. 

A few people have said to me that they do it and it's safe, I've looked into other threads relating to people pulling wires up from the bedroom etc but there's always a clued up sparky that always advises against most of the electrical tweaking people do so a bit sketched out to be honest. 

It's no difference unless:

A) if you don't fully uncoil the lead you run risk of fire. 

B) make sure you don't overload the one plag socket in the bedroom. Consider 2 extensions to the loft to half the load on socket. 

• Like 2

A fully coiled reel will have a reduced maximum power. So any fire risk comes from then attempting to use it as normal and trying to pull 13 amps. 

From your bedroom to the attic I'm sure this wouldn't be an issue anyway.

A 250w HPS won't cause you any issues.

Just be cautious before sticking something beefy like a 2000w rad off it as well.

Double check fuses are rated correctly as well. I've come across old extension leads that someones unwittingly replaced the fuse with 5a and can't fathom why it stopped working after plugging a big pa amplifier in to it.

Edited by Greenls
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Funk P said:

Instead of putting sockets in the attic is having extension leads plugged in the bedroom leading up too the attic safe? The setup wouldn't be big at all 250w hps 2 plant set up. 

A few people have said to me that they do it and it's safe, I've looked into other threads relating to people pulling wires up from the bedroom etc but there's always a clued up sparky that always advises against most of the electrical tweaking people do so a bit sketched out to be honest. 

I've been running a 250 for 13 years like that mate  so far so good 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ned Flanders said:

It's no difference unless:

A) if you don't fully uncoil the lead you run risk of fire. 

B) make sure you don't overload the one plag socket in the bedroom. Consider 2 extensions to the loft to half the load on socket. 

Roger dodger so I can just put two extension leads in the same double socket or would each extension lead have to be in completly different double sockets? Thanks man. 

1 hour ago, Jimboo said:

I've been running a 250 for 13 years like that mate  so far so good 

Thats good man cause I'm getting excited to do a lil 250 build up in the attic! 

• Like 1