Am I mixing correctly

Firstimegrower_420

I've read so many different pages, watched YouTube videos and didn't really want to ask but I need to know if whats im doing is right and normal.

This is how I mix.. 

6litre water

6ml of calmag 

Follow canna guide to a T 

EC should finally be 1.5 (in flower stage now)

EC reading 2.9/3.1 

Add another 5 to 6ml of water 

EC now 1.5 

Add PH down to bring from 6.4 to approx 5.8

Is that right and does it make sense to mix everything then dillute nearly 100% more water? 

I watched on YouTube that its ok so long as my mix has the correct NER for 6 litre and the weakness and strength of EC is different altogether.. 

Can someone advise if im doing that right or wrong. 

Thanks 

Ok youre going to have to wait for someone who uses that , Im full on soil Im afraid. 

One thing is apparent from all your posts is that perhaps you are trying too hard and over thinking your grow . Its easily done and it is easy to become overwhelmed by the different methods and approaches that are out there online. Those of us that started before the internet was a "thing" found our own methods and the internet allowed us to tweak them to suit. ... lucky I guess ... and old !  

At the end of the day it is a plant, a simple life form that given the right environment will thrive.  Try and keep the basics right and the rest will follow, if you tinker with them too much it rarely goes well.

enjoy :smokin: 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Firstimegrower_420 said:

Thats a problem right there

A guide is a guide and thats all

Follow manufacturers guides and you will mess your plants up 9/10 times

Owd 

• Like 3

@Owderb thanks but i had this on here in other posts asking about the EC and I was reducing the nutrients as I seemed fit and applying 60% of the guide yet i was slated and told thats why my plants were struggling.. use the guide and the plants will get the right feed.. what yoir saying contradicts everything and confuses me even more.. 

So on the basis of mixing 6litre nutirents what would you use and how would you know what the right mix is? 

Thanks 

If your ec is 3 after mixing and you require 1.5 then just add half of the nutrients you have been then ph your mix

Rocket science it isnt mate

Also you shouldn't be needing to add calmag every feed.

Owd

Edited by Owderb

@Owderbthanks, thats good to know about the calmag and I'll cut back on that. 

I did as you suggested and i know on the site others will.agree and disagree which is difficult fir a newbie to know the right or wrong way. 

I was told what I was doing was wrong despite having the same mindset as you, I was being referred as tight fir trying to save the nutirents by cutting the guide recommendations. 

It did my head in and then I watched yourube video on mixing nutrients and the guide was as other says follow it and dillute to.your EC because all that matters is you have the correct NER and I havent got a clue what that means and thats what I've been following for the last week to two and adding calmag but ill pull back from that as I thought it had to be added all through the cycle if water is soft. 

2 hours ago, Firstimegrower_420 said:

Hi,

Lemme jump in here for a sec, only I'm going to be lazy and just re-quote from a previous, i cba to type all this out again lol 

On 24/07/2020 at 11:23 AM, unity said:

Guys you have to ask one critical question when reading these feed charts.  What size plant is this guide aimed at?

A huge tree under a 2K light is going to require more food than say each plant in a SOG setup where you might have 50 plants under a 600 - take that onboard and you take the first step to feeding your plants right :yep:

Ignore what the bottle says - it CAN'T be intended for YOUR plants, it's a general guide.  I started on canna, and followed the guide -  I burned the crap outta my plants for the first year until I read up some more on here. First change I did was to feed half the recommended amount - my next grow was immediately better, no more yellow tips.

Learn to see when your plants are hungry and then give them what they need, when they need it.  You don't get bigger plants by adding more food, it don't work that way.  Your plant needs to get bigger by having a healthy enviroment; it's food requirements will then increase, not the other way round.

A slight underfeed is sooo much better than a slight overfeed.  You can correct one missed feed with one correct feed.  Nute burn takes much longer to pull back from.

Hopefully this might help steer someone away from the path of being a salt farmer, took me over a year to see what I was doing :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/10/2020 at 9:42 AM, Owderb said:

Also you shouldn't be needing to add calmag every feed.

Owd

Hi @Owderb ive no given my plants sny calmag since the last post and im wondering should i give them as a boost or just leave things, im just not sure when to add it and don't want to be at that stage someone says had you given calmag that woildnt have happened.. if that makes sense. 

My plants are doing well and I'm enjoying giving them there feeds but I know to add that calmag im going to have to give less nutrients to keep that EC within suitable range. 

Any advice appreciated 

large.VideoCapture_20201027-231144.jpglarge.VideoCapture_20201027-231121.jpglarge.VideoCapture_20201027-231111.jpg

Edited by Firstimegrower_420

3 minutes ago, Firstimegrower_420 said:

ive no given my plants sny calmag since the last post and im wondering should i give them as a boost or just leave things

What change have you noted in your plants to make you think about changing their food?

• Like 1

@unitytbh bud I actually found they seemed better not using it as I was having to dillute my mix loads which was nutrilisimg all the nutrients I was mixing up at that time. So now I knkw theyre being fed correctly and they look like theyre thanking me for it. 

I just thought and got told because my water is soft I should be using it all throughout which is what I started to do unti @Owderb told me I don't need to use it each time and thats when I stopped and because its now been a good 10 days i was wondering should I add it or not..  not sure i have to as my water is soft 

It's pretty simple. If your plants are happy with what you're doing don't change anything.

They'll let you know when something is up. 

Sounds like you added calmag when you didn't need to. There will be Cal and Mag available to your plants in the nute mix you're using. If they're not telling you they're hungry for cal mag you don't need it. If they do tell you they need cal mag it will need to replace some of your nutes to keep your EC at the right level. 

I keep reading your posts and it's the same theme over and over. You really don't need to do much.

People grow this stuff with a bottle of tomorite and nothing else... The needs of the plant are really very basic. 

I've said this to you before. You're going to cause problems if you keep messing with them.

• Like 1

On 18/10/2020 at 9:09 AM, Firstimegrower_420 said:

As a matter of curiosity which Canna nutrients are you using (eg coco, terra, hydro, aqua etc) and how much are you adding to 6l of water?

• Like 1

@Billy2Hatsthanks for your reply. Its coco im using and i was using 1ml to every litre but resd last night some people are adding as little as 0.5ml for 2 litre and giving that little boost as its coco and soft tap water. 

@NezAthanks bud, I know what you're saying and to much love can kill a plant and a weed afterall is called that as it can grow without any input from us humans, i just wasn't sure if they looked a little limey last night so i did add some to tge feed and only but 2.5ml in 6 litre which then got diluted to correct EC making a 8 to 9 litre bucket and i was strict last night and only gave each plant 2 litre for a small run off for EC readings

This was them before I went to bed and they look OK this morning except fir some curled up leaves but think thats heat stress as I put a CFL in next to tge LED no im no longer doing clones

large.Screenshot_20201029-084107_Gallery_copy_672x1077.jpg